Victor Jetspeed Series

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Renmazuo27, Nov 8, 2013.

1. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Sounds like the type of racket for me :D

2. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

3. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    850 comes in blue but it's a darker blue more like the SW37's color

4. Sgt_Strider

Are you referring to the first generation BS12? A friend of mine have a blue BS12 and IIRC, that is the first gen and now the red BS12N is the second generation. Are there physical differences between first 1st and 2nd generation BS12?

When you say the ST is stiffer than the blue BS12, is it noticeably stiffer or it's ever so slightly stiffer?

5. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I was referring to the first generation blue. Tbh with the multiple BS 12s and 12Ns I used to have. I could feel a noticeable difference in the head weight distribution between both. The 12 was more towards the t joint area while the 12Ns were all at the sides of the frame.

And I found the ST to be noticeably stiffer but not so much that it would be a big jump from the 12.

6. Sgt_Strider

I notice that you used the word may at the end. Do you have a NS9900 with you? Can you say with absolute confidence that the 8ST is less stiff than the NS9900? I would like a bit more details about this comparison. I felt the NS9900 was a tad too stiff for me.

7. Sgt_Strider

I just found some pictures and you're right, it's a dark blue colour. Do you think the dark blue VS850 matches the 8ST well?

8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Yes I do have a 9900 which I keep as a collection piece now. The 8ST is definitely less stiff.

9. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Nah. In my experience and seeing blue 850 up close..I really don't think it matches any rackets at all...the blue is just top dark for anything..

10. Sgt_Strider

Noticeably stiffer? So it's not something that any player not notice if they were to use both the BS12 and the 8ST? That may be a deal breaker for me.

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Yes noticeably stiffer. But to me it was a very comfortable level of stiffness. I didn't think it was harsh at all. But then again I have at one point used the SW 35 and MX 80 as a secondary to my former go to rackets which were the BS 09 and 12.

12. Sgt_Strider

In your opinion, what colour string and grip goes well with the 8ST?

I'm probably going to give another week or two before I make a final decision. I could probably use a few more reviews to help guide my purchasing decision. I'm leaning on picking up both the BS12 (tried a friend's racket and it have piqued my interest) and the 8ST.

13. Sgt_Strider

Have you tried any other Yonex racket? Besides the NS9900, can you think of any other Yonex racket that is about as stiff as the 8ST? I don't have much experience with Victor rackets so I'm trying to get an accurate idea of the stiffness of the 8ST. Please bear with me!

14. Sgt_Strider

Maybe I'm getting old, but I was getting confused too. Victor's naming scheme is a bit weird. Not that Yonex is any better...

15. Sgt_Strider

lol! I was hoping you would order both the 8PS and 8ST.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Jetspeed 8PS (orange) review

After 2 solid hours of playing with it solely, here's my review.

In a few words... Wow! Love it! I've found my new go-to racket!
    [​IMG]

But if you want to read more, let me first back up a bit...

I play MD with feather birds, at high intermediate level with a technical counter attacking style. Preferring to out maneuver the opponents with tactical placement and accuracy over raw power, I get more satisfaction winning points from soft shots like pushes and net plays, but of course when it's time for a mid court kill... :D

Specs of my current favourite rackets.
    As luck would have it, the head wts are quite similar.

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500, align: left"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]Weight[/TD]
    [TD]Head wt[/TD]
    [TD]BP[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]8PS (3U) dry
    w/ G10 and ZM62@21x23lbs[/TD]
    [TD]85.3g
    94.6g[/TD]
    [TD]37.5g
    40.9g[/TD]
    [TD]297mm
    292mm[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]XP70 (4U) dry
    [TD]83.9g
    93.2g[/TD]
    [TD]37.6g
    41.0g[/TD]
    [TD]300mm
    295mm[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]MXJJS (4U) dry
    [TD]84.6g
    93.9g[/TD]
    [TD]37.5g
    40.9g[/TD]
    [TD]298mm
    293mm[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Frame design:
    Aero sword is very very similar to the XP70. Except for the slight pinching in at 11 and 1 on the XP70, cross section and frame edge are very similar. Even the swishing sound they make as they cut thru the air are similar. However BS is slightly faster.
    Speed thru the air: BS>JS>MX

As a result of the frame design, JS feels less solid on strike than MX, but slightly more solid than BS. So this is how I rate the
    Meatiness on shuttle strike: MX>JS>BS

Specs comparison:
    Definitely noticeably flexier than JJS, perhaps even a smidge flexier than XP70. What's most noticeable is that it's slightly whippy. I've hit with BS10, 11, 12, LYD before, so I can easily say that it's not as whippy as 11, 12, nor LYD, but it's whippier than 10. Not as head heavy as 11 or LYD, but head heavier than 10 and 12. Quite similar to MX60, but much faster and slightly stiffer with less whip.

Playing time:
    The slightly whippy shaft with slight head heaviness and fast frame is a very nice combination by Victor, making it very incredibly easy to use. Very easy to generate power.

Clears: With a whipping style, this racket is incredibly easy to play lifts and clears, forehands and especially backhands baseline to baseline. Backhand clear is the gold standard test for me to see if a racket is too stiff for me (that I don't get enough power and length), and the PS aces this test with flying colours. I repeat, it is very easy to generate power from this racket. Too easy, in fact, so much so that I had to hold back some power to avoid hitting out. JJS and MX80 for example fail this for me due to it's rather stiff shaft.

Drives: This is the gold standard test for me to see if a racket is stiff and stable enough for me (for accuracy playing power shots very close to the tape), and the PS just passes this test. For me, I notice care must be taken to not input too much power into the shaft, otherwise it'll lose accuracy from overbending and head lag. Previously finding the 11 and 12 too flexy, I'm glad I didn't order the ST, as I know I'll overcome the shaft too easily. JJS and MX80 for example aces this due to it's pretty stiff shaft.

Smashes: Again, instead of powering down from the shoulder, this racket can get some really steep angles and powerful smashes, if I remembered to incorporate
    a whipping action. Quite accurate unless I go for a 110% kill smash, in which case I mistime it either due to head lag or the fast frame speed. Will need more time to adapt to this. More powerful than 12 and XP70, but ultimate power goes to JJS.

Defence: Not as ultimately as maneuverable as my XP70, but still quite fast in counter attacking drives or smashes. With a lazy wrist flick, easy to lift to baseline all day and accurate in keeping inside the side lines.

Feel: Like the JJS, slightly number than XP70. Needs more attention when playing drops, touch and net shots. But then not as much vibration as XP70 if mishit off centre.

Summary:
    In summary, a v
    ery nicely spec'd racket with a nicely synergistic combination of power and accuracy making it a very successful user friendly racket in the inaugural launch of JetSpeed, a new line of "Speed" series from Victor that is supposed to replace the BS line in the upcoming year.

Anyone wishing for a fast racket that is more stable less head heavy than 11 that can hit harder than the 12(old) but find the 10 too stiff, will love this racket. Count me as one of those. :D

I'm really looking forward to the next JS release (9 perhaps?), hoping for just a tad more stiffness. That would be just perfect for me. Meanwhile I'll have to increase my string tension by 1-2 lbs to compensate for the new found power and to improve feel and accuracy.

Attached is the racket chart for 2014 and 2013, so that you know where Victor places the JS8 PS and ST.

Victor racket chart 2014.jpg

Victor racket chart 2013.jpg

#236 visor, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  17. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Good review mate, nice work.

18. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Does anyone know which store in Malaysia is selling the rackets now? Might pay a visit to see the rackets and have a swing or 2....before deciding whether to buy :p

19. visor

visor Regular Member

well... after Ch1k0 and my reviews, you have a general idea of the swing of both rackets relative to the others in the bs series

20. visor

visor Regular Member

what i don't understand though, is how victor rates the ps as balanced and st as head light, when in fact they are slightly head heavy and balanced respectively... [​IMG]