Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes I think it still applies, although some people have strung various Yonex rackets at equal tensions and have had no issues. Anyway, I've strung my VT80 at 23x25 (that is, 23 pounds on the mains, 25 pounds on the crosses), although it feels more like 25x27. I think this is done mostly to retain the shape of the original head - whether it's good or not, I really don't know, but I would guess that it allows the racket to last longer. Apparently Lin Dan's racket head looks really "out of shape", thus creating a larger sweet-spot - similar to what happened when I strung my apacs Lethal 70 at 27x27.

EDIT: by the way, I have noticed that the BG65 strings I use lose tension quite quickly (they are apparently quite notorious for this) with my current apacs rackets and previous Yonex rackets. However, I've been playing regularly with my VT80 with BG65 string for the last 6 weeks or so and I haven't noticed any loss in tension. Anyone else noticed this "phenomenon"?

#1621 ssj100, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Hi all. I would like to seek all of your advise on the difference between VT80 (3U / 4U) and Forza FZ Ti550 VS. I feel the head-heaviness of FZ Ti550 VS when I hold and swing it but haven't got the chance to play with it. It gives me a good feeling. I suspect it would give me power in smashing which I lack in. But I heard VT80 also perform very well in term of releasing the power. I haven't played with VT80 yet.

Can anyone share about the difference between these 2 rackets? In term of power, drive, control, speed, etc before I make a decision which I will go for. Currently, I am using BS11. I am also considering Victor MX80 at the moment.

Appreciate your sharing and thanks in advance :)

3. raksasa.gorgon

raksasa.gorgon Regular Member

Full Time Badminton Player
    I'd rate the 550VS to be better at drive and control while VT80 better at speed. Power department is a bit tricky to rate as though VT80 is definitely 1 of the most powerful rackets I've tried, I feel that the 550VS will have superior power potential in able hands with the 96hole stringing pattern.

Like the VT80 3U, the 550VS is not a very user friendly racket. If you are playing with the BS11 now, I'd recommend you to try the 550S instead. It's construction is of the same materials as the 550VS but just less head-heavy, less stiff & of lighter weight. The 550S will feel more like an upgraded version of SW35 in all departments except speed.

#1623 raksasa.gorgon, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  4. Salamurhaaja

Salamurhaaja Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys just wanna ask here will VT80 that been strung under 29lbs tension easily deform after cutting the string??? And any method to know that the VT80 already deformed even slightly deform???

5. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I was using BG66UM on my VT80... Not a fan of the BG66UM to start but it was done by mistake... Gonna try NBG98 since the BG66UM just snapped :)

6. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Tried almost all the Yonex top strings, and settled for NBG98 and the BG66 Maxima JP, both at 26/28 #s. Very satisfying for at least 8 2-hr sessions, then cut up and restring.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    BG65 can stretch by up to 30% once strung (also depends on what tension you string at) and for most .7mm strings, its a good idea to pre-stretch the string when stringing or to string at about 3-4lbs higher. Again, the stringer needs to be pretty good to do a good job. In a hot and humid environment (I believe you qualify for that! :D) the string would probably stretch out much quicker, so maybe you should try to up the tension by a couple of pounds by default.

As you have correctly noticed, BG80 retains its tension very well; this is because it loses only about 10% of its tension over time. That is why most stringers will not bother to ever pre-stretch BG80 (I got a funny look from one of them when I asked him to do it :D) BG80 is great for tensions 24-30, but BG65 plays best at higher tensions (27/28 upwards)

8. sharhan

sharhan Regular Member

Engineer
    what is the average price for voltric 80 now?

9. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Should wait for the ltd edition. cooler :)

10. sharhan

sharhan Regular Member

Engineer
    when vt80 ltd will release?

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

The limited edition is only in 4U? Pity. I plan to get another 3U VT80 within the next 6 months to a year. Really enjoying playing with the racket.

12. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    It's a limited edition ... not one of a million, but one in a million :)

13. Salamurhaaja

Student
    Hi guys I just wanna ask about yours VT80 paint job because mine it's easily being scratched for mishit... Is this normal for VT80 paint??? Hope anyone could clear my confusion here...

14. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Actually my experience with the VT80 is opposite... I mishit... Scrape the ground to return smashes... Pick up birds... Not a blemish on my racquet...

When I mishit (very often)... I mishit HARD!!!

15. Salamurhaaja

Student
    Wow!!! That's totally different from mine as in I used it for the first time, mishit = blemish... Hmmm, it's sure due to quality control for my batch ain't good??? Can I assume that???

But overall this racquet is nice and head heavy even with two overgrips on the handle... Love it...

16. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Maybe... Mine is an AS coded one... I am very surprise that after 4 months... Not a single blemish... KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!

17. Salamurhaaja

Student
    OMG!!! Wood summore, mine I think it's SP coded... I don't want the paint so fast been ripped off when mishit again...

18. subzero1856

subzero1856 Regular Member

considering buying VT80

i am strongly considering buying Voltric 80. i just wanna know if it will suits me. I'm a agressive Smasher and baseline player. i do drop shot and play at the net too but rare. i normally play with balanced racket but considering the change to head heavy. Will it suit me?

Also one thing i also wanted to know is the spot where maximum power produced small or large on the VT80. As my current racket has very small spot where optimum power for smash is produced.

19. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

No problem here with mis-hits and chipping paint. The VT80 paint appears to be very durable. I do have a chipped area on my VT80 now due to a fairly hard clash in an intense doubles game (in my defense, it was my forehand!).

The problem with this sort of question is that in general, any answer will never be correct for you. "LD Rules!" will say that the SW35 is the greatest racket ever, Lee Yong Dae will say the BS 09 is much better, Tan Boon Heong will say Ti-10 forever, Lee Chong Wei will say VT80 is even better, Lin Dan will say N90 is his go to, and I will say VT80 is an excellent all-round racket.

At the end of the day, if you're willing to put in hard work to get better at badminton, the racket becomes one of the least (if not the least) important variables. Therefore, you need to ask yourself several questions too. If you're used to balanced rackets, why are you wanting to change to head heavy ones? If you get a racket with an isometric head shape (most modern rackets today all have this...I can only think of the Z-Slash that doesn't), the sweet-spot will be relatively larger - I think the differences in the sweet-spot size across various isometric shaped rackets is negligible.

Will any racket "suit" you? Nobody will know. What we all know is that the VT80 is "suiting" Lee Chong Wei, Peter Gade, Mathias Boe, and many other professional and non-professional players out there (including myself). You won't know until you try it.

Last thing I'd like to say is that in general, if you expect any racket to raise your level of play significantly (in any department), then you're probably never going to improve significantly (in any department). I think many people on this forum should consider this statement carefully. Of course, if you're just wanting to play around with various rackets as a hobby (or just to "exercise" for health etc) and are happy doing this, good for you, and you don't need to take any of the above statements seriously.

20. subzero1856

subzero1856 Regular Member

Thx for the answer anyway I bought the vt80.