2012 All England SSP: Sunday 11-March Finals matches

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2012' started by chris-ccc, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    She is indeed quite stunning :p

LYD/JJS attack & defense is an absolutely incredible throughout AE2012.

Yeah i do really enjoy AE week.. Good to you able to watch Swiss Open live.

Two Thumbs up for LYD/JJS... CY/FHF is just unlucky & not in their best form, since injury sucking FHF attack power a lot..

LCW also laugh for the wrong translation..:p

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree. As LD matures, he becomes more thoughtful and less arrogant. Unfortunately, that may be negated by some of his fans who become more arrogant and boastful of his abilities. But there s no doubt he has a lot of respect for LCW. In fact, all of Team CHN including LYB, as well. In fact, a growing number of CHN fans now blatantly show support for LCW when he plays in CHN tournaments, implying they consider him part of their own.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Taiwanese sets milestone in major badminton event

[TABLE="align: center"]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2, align: left"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [TABLE="align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"]2012/03/11 18:51:48[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 490, colspan: 2, align: left"][TABLE="align: left"]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE="align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 16"][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="width: 16"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #f0f0f0"][TABLE="align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #ffffff"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Taipei, March 11 (CNA)

Taiwan's Tai Tzu-ying was knocked out of the women's singles at the Yonex All England Open Badminton Championships on Saturday, but her run to the semifinals was the best showing ever by a Taiwanese woman at the prestigious event.

The 17-year-old Tai lost to seventh-seed Li Xuerui of China 19-21, 21-16, 21-10 in the semifinal round after a run that saw her defeat eighth-seeded German Juliane Schenk in the second round and Korean Sung Ji Hyun -- who had ousted second-seed Wang Xin of China -- in the quarterfinals.

Tai's semifinal opponent, currently ranked fifth in the world, has been hot of late, having won the women's singles at the German Open last week, and she was to play top-seeded Wang Yihan of China for the title.

Despite the defeat, Tai, who is currently ranked 16th in the world, helped her cause for a slot in the Olympics by picking up 7,700 ranking points at the super series premier event.

It was Tai's second-highest point haul in a single event in her career, trailing only the 7,800 ranking points she got for finishing second at the Singapore Open in mid-2010.

Both Tai and veteran Taiwanese player Cheng Shao-chieh are hoping to land spots in the women's singles draw at the Summer Olympics and can be assured of making the draw if they are both ranked in the top 16 as of May 3, the Olympic cutoff date for badminton.

Cheng, the world No. 9, got a tough draw at the All England Championships in Birmingham and was ousted in the first round by third seed Wang Shixian of China 21-9, 21-15.

Meanwhile, in the women's doubles in Birmingham, Taiwan's Cheng Wen-hsing and Chien Yu-chin, who are also hoping to secure an Olympic birth, lost to an unseeded Chinese duo in the second round in three games.

In men's doubles, unseeded Taiwanese Fang Chieh-min and Lee Sheng-mu upset fourth-seeded Koreans Ko Sung Hyun and Yoo Yeon Seong in straight games in the first round before bowing out in the quarterfinals to Japanese pair Hirokatsu Hashimoto and Noriyasu Hirata 21-15, 17-21, 21-12.

(By Nell Shen)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Attached Files:

#743 Loh, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

perhaps she's a psychic too and knew what LD was really thinking... ;)

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Naughty and cheeky!

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, they don't have to take off their shorts to show their cheeks, just only the tops off...;)

7. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

I don't think WS Final is Fixing match.
    I enjoy to watch this match, the quality is high, so much amazing hard hitting. We see WYH's smash return by smash by Li Xuerui. In many time we see how Li forced WYH out position then kill by her smash.

8. julianng

julianng Regular Member

LCW chickened out of the final man.

All players usually carry some kind injury even when 100% fit. Injury is no excuse.

The crowd was more enthusiastic and pressure demanding this year. LD brought his A game to the final this time unlike other LCW-LD encounters.

If you ask me, reitiring was just an easy way out for LCW and he would definitely have continued if he was playing other player (PG,CJ, TH, or PSH etc. ) in final.

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Now we know why WYH have been given walkovers and how she has benefited from them. Two consecutive tough matches and she lost in the third to a junior.

10. badadum

badadum Regular Member

I'll disagree since LCW doesn't have history of "chickened out" due to injury. Mental breakdown - sure, but not the first.
    OG is only 4 months away and that's arguably the biggest prize is one's career. He knows he can't risk aggravating the injury to the point that it affect his OG chances.

11. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Your statement is a biggest joke of the day ...lol. I lost count the number of times LD gave injury excuses. Everyone remember the cold water excuse?? So i suppose it is ok for LD but not LCW.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Lin takes fifth All-England title as Lee quits

Posted: 11 March 2012 2332 hrs

BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom:

Lin Dan became the first player of the open era to win the All-England men's title five times when defending champion Lee Chong Wei retired with a shoulder injury in Sunday's final.

The setback, which happened to the Malaysian with the score at 21-19, 6-2 to the Chinese player, denied Lee the chance of becoming the first man since the 1970s to win the title three times in a row.

Lee had also been complaining of a painful hand earlier in the tournament, and might have soldiered on longer had he snatched a very close first game which was influenced by a couple of marginal decisions.

However, Lee was facing an Olympic and world champion with more appetite for an All-England final than last year, when Lin himself was suffering from a stomach muscle injury.

Now Lin often took the attack to Lee, knocking the shuttle about with accuracy and variety, and moving with predatory stealth and economy.

When he attempted to get the shuttle on to the floor it was usually with unique deception, a Lin trademark.

"I don't think the injury affected his rhythm," Lin said through an interpreter during a brief on court interview, perhaps keen not to have the value of his win reduced in what could be his last All-England Open.

Later though he struck a more sympathetic note.

"I am very sorry for Lee Chong Wei," he said. "We have played against each other for almost ten years, since we were juniors, and we are very familiar with each other and have no secrets.

"The countdown is now on (till the end of their careers) and we don't know how many more times we will play each other, so we cherish each time. With the Olympics approaching maybe he made the right decision."

Well as Lin played, the match may have taken a different course had Lee not had moments of slight ill-luck.

At 4-5 he projected an overhead drop which landed very close to the line but was called out, prompting him to stand and stare for a long time.

An almost identical incident happened, but in a much more important context at 18-18, when Lee felt certain that his drop to the same sideline had actually touched the line.

That brought more staring from him, and his sense of injustice may have been compounded when at 19-19 Lin Dan's attempted kill took a crucial net cord which made the shuttle fall in an irretrievably.

Against that Lin had a moment of frustration too, when a kill at the net which he thought had earned him an 11-8 lead was denied him because the umpire ruled he had put his racket over the net.

This brought huge jeers from the crowd, a majority of whom supported Lin, regarded by many as the greatest player of all time.

The decisive tilt of fortunes came eleven rallies later, on a game point in which Lee's half-smash landed desperately close to the same sideline where he had previously been disappointed.

This too was called out, though it was maybe by no more than an inch, causing Lee to toss his racket behind him in disgust. Five minutes later he decided he had had enough.

"I'm very disappointed at what happened," said Lee. "I had the shoulder injury earlier, but I didn't want to disappoint the crowd so I came to play anyway.

"But when I felt the pain some more I didn't want to push the shoulder any more."

Without doubt Lee will have had his fitness for London 2012 in mind, when he is likely to be trying to atone for his one-sided loss to Lin Dan in the Olympics Games in Beijing.

Earlier another world number one, Wang Yihan, crashed to a shock defeat in the women's singles final as her 21-year-old compatriot Li Xuerui snatched the title with a remarkably composed performance in a 21-13, 21-19 win.

Wang's was a strangely error-strewn performance in the first game and then an unexpectedly flat one emotionally in the second when she had a 15-10 lead and seemed likely to take it to a decider.

If Li finishes in the world's top four at the end of next month, it gives China the maximum three singles players in this event at the Olympic Games in London.

The Chinese also won the women's doubles, giving them three titles, though this is their smallest All-England haul for eight years.

Men's singles final:
    Lin Dan (CHN) bt Lee Chong Wei (MAS) 21-19, 6-2 retires

Men's doubles final:
    Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae (KOR) bt Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng (CHN) 21-23, 21-9, 21-14

Women's singles final:
    Li Xuerui (CHN) bt Wang Yihan (CHN) 21-13, 21-19

Women's doubles final:
    Tian Qing/Zhao Yunlei (CHN) bt Wang Xiaoli/Yu Yang (CHN) 21-17, 21-12

Mixed doubles final:
    Tontowi Ahmad/Lilyana Natsir (INA) bt Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter Juhl (DEN) 21-17, 21-19

- AFP/de

Attached Files:

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

This is no normal injury. LD brought his A game to the final? That was a super nervous LD playing a super injured LCW. Nerves will evaporate but injury will worsen as the match progresses. LCW indicates his superiority by employing alternative tactics when he could hold off LD right till the end with a worsening injury in G1. In G2, when his shots went haywire, it meant the injury was so bad he could not execute normally. Further play could aggravate the injury to the extent of jeopardising the recovery fully for OG. LCW is no coward but known for sportsmanship. In one tournament ( CHN or JO or HKO?), he played with injured knees and in pain but completed the match (knowing he would lose) to give Simon Santoso a proper victory. Well, if LCW plays in Swiss Open, then we know it s fake. If not, it means it s really serious.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i am the only one here who is in favour of LCW doing W/O. I am advocating it because it is for LCW's own good. Beside, it may give LD the impression that LCW is not fit. There is no shame in LCW copying LD's strategy of early 2008.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

Don't forget INA's Rudy Hartono or you intended him to be from another era?

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    maybe LCW should change the string tension as well. lower it to below 30 lbs?

17. lks332

lks332 Regular Member

Chickened out??? Seriously??

I guess you did not see the grimaces of pain on LCW's face during the game.

I guess you did not see the times he called for the tournament doctor.

We all don't know how much pain he is going through.

I guess we all saw LCW hitting less than his usual booming smashes.

Its all very easy for us to sit back on our comfy chairs and comment on how LCW should continue, how he should stay mentally strong blah blah blah...

But in reality, do we know the amount of pain he is playing through? no.

Do we know how disappointed he might be having to lose this final and retire? no.

Lastly, do we know how debilitating an injury might be to a professionals game? esp an All England final? no.

For the record, just look at Jung Jae Sung's performance during the super series finale when he had that shoulder injury, hardly impressive.

Who are us spectators, who don't go through the hell that LCW goes through everyday to even get to this level of play to comment that he chickened out in the final??

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

LCW wasn't playing normally against LHI. He was struggling. How often do you see LCW not been able to retrieve a shuttle ONE METRE away? Never, if I remember correctly. That happened at least twice with LHI. Hand is different from shoulder? Well, I doubt LCW is clear about anatomy in English vocabulary, so maybe he used the only English word he knew (hand) linked to the body part in question (shoulder). Or the pain could have graduated to shoulder(guessing, I m no doctor). In any case, I would use ' Tangan ' because I don t know the word for shoulder if I m asked in Bahasa. I only know Tangan and kaki for the major parts of anatomy in Bahasa. What about you?

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Shoulder = bahu

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    my 2 cents after read all the post regard lee/lin final

my thought
    lin dan is extremely eager to win this,with a lots of tense
    he smashed twice to lcw back hand but out,that was unusual as he dont like to bend backward like lcw
    lin dan feel the heat and pressure when he cant lead lcw in bigger points gap
    lcw keeps chasing,thats explained why he serve into the net twice

in another hand
    lee cw tried to win the 1st set,he was inch away from it
    i believe the pain on shoulder affect his accurate placement
    the situation is even worst in 2nd set where lcw cant control the shuttle,hence he decide to retired
    no one should doubt if he is injured or not
    from lcw micro expression,it was real

the next meeting will be more exciting than the 2011 wc final
    hehe,waiting for it!