Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Hahaha... This is a public forum. We need to be careful with what we say. ;););)

2. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    got what you mean and my apology for mis-spelling your name...

3. bogensaebel

bogensaebel Regular Member

student
    nice sharing with you too..

the judgments/assumptions are full of 'maybe's...it's full of fun and joyful either you propose or oppose...but still better enjoy the games...:D

4. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Misbun did not play a single part in LCW position currently. He is a good coach but to say he is the driving force behind LCW's successes are completely ridiculous. If he is as good as everyone acclaimed, I wonder why there's no juniors emulating LCW under his charge. To put things into perspective, LCW's deadly smashes and fitness dramatically improved when Li Mao crossed over to coach him. Misbun was more and less a spectator, no disrespect to him. At the moment, what he needs is a good lesson to learnt from an outstanding coach like Park Joo Bong or Tang Xianhu. They are the only coaches whom i identified so far that could make a lot of difference to the outcome with their presence.

5. bogensaebel

bogensaebel Regular Member

student
    when LCW himself seeks advises from Misbun and asking for his return, you're beyond his own thought though LOL...maybe you know what's the best for him more than himself...you should email him or BAM :D

6. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    agreed, it's fun to us all who do not take all these hypotheses too seriously...much that I enjoy watching the substance within the game, it's becoming a norm for me to have such agonizing reactions "come on Datuk, you can do it...oh no not again"...guess it's the same feeling to all fellow M'sian, isn't it?:eek:

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It's not just about M'sians. It is about all fans everywhere who want to see badminton flourish beyond the hegemony of the Chinese team. I grant that they (the CBA) may have worked very hard to deserve their predominant position, but that is no excuse for the decline of other powerhouses. And when things are so badly mismanaged as in the case of BAM you kinda feel at a loss....

That IMO is why it is doubly important that LCW wins the WC and the OG golds. But now, he will first have to overcome his own demons, before he can overcome his opponents.

I cannot blame him completely for his situation. There are just too many factors, force vectors, influences (some subtle, some not so subtle) conditions, that are at play. Who among us are in total control of our lives, and responsible for decisions that shape our destinies? How many well-meaning but ill-advised people have helped make LCW the person he is today?

When you are young and talented, and are told "you just worry about your game and focus on your training; leave the rest to us" you put your faith in these words because you trust; you need to have faith in something. So if the boy has not gown up, and if he has very few convictions, and if he does not possess the courage of his convictions, I will point one finger at him. And the other three fingers at all the people around him.

8. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Its a team efforts...........so when he failed, the whole team failed.....not LCW and his coaches only to be blamed.............!!

9. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor

When the conversation is between two fellow countrymen, it’s just instinctive to make any reference\s to other fellow countrymen, nothing unusual. The game is not just for M’sians; I know that.

As I view the game as it is, taking other factors and happenings surrounding it as part and parcel which add spice; whoever is predominant isn’t an issue. Though at times predominance may seem boring to others, I would adhere to the notion whoever perform better deserves that position. I wouldn’t wish someone in particular to counter that position because sooner or later that particular truly capable someone will emerge. If the game is performed with substance that is worth watching, whoever the performer is would still be enjoyable.

Granting that your accusation of BAM’s mismanagement is factual, it’s still not appropriate as an excuse. A simple web search will provide loads of explanations and quotes on the meaning of “blaming” and where it leads to. Here are some notable ones:

"The impulse to blame others is an attempt to escape responsibilities”,
    "No one is a failure until they blame somebody else” and
    "The superior man blames himself. The inferior man blames others”.

It's just tit for tat, hope there's nothing offending in it.:p
    BTW, this is no shoe polishing; your command of English istruly commendable.:)

#7069 OldBadFan, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    From Lee Chong Wei
    To: OldBadFan

Greetings, sir! I am all for taking responsibility of my actions. I am all for owning up to my shortcomings, or my fears. I am all for accepting that I am to blame for coming up short when it really matters.

Now I ask: if many years ago I was on par, and if very recently a man like Morten Frost no less, said on live television in no uncertain terms, that I am the best player in the world today in badminton terms, then why am I still playing like a novice against those 2 other guys? Why does it happen every time? They play their game according to their plans, but suddenly I just cannot play my natural game anymore! Why do I not quake and tremble when I play anyone else, no matter how fast he be, or how hard he smash, or how long he may rally? What do those two have on me?

So I ask you: when did I develop this mental block and mental weakness against a certain type of player? What are they doing so successfully, that it unfailingly exposes my vulnerability?

I don't know. I was hoping many years ago that all the highly-paid and educated and experienced people around me could come up with an answer; and a lasting solution.

I am willing to accept the blame, like any decent, self-respecting person. But that does not solve the problem. I cannot solve the problem. I had a father-figure who protected me from myself, now I have a bunch of court jesters. Even my father-figure never did find the solution to my problem; maybe he could have, maybe not, if he stayed on. (cobalt: and that's another story! :D)

I am doing everything I can. I dominate 99% of all matches I play; it has been like this for many years now. The people around me who were there to fulfill certain key tasks thought they had nothing left to do; while I kept winning titles and stuff.

You say, "I would adhere to the notion whoever perform better deserves that position." Who will tell me that LD and CL would still be the same force they are today without the selfless work, single-minded determination and devotion of people like LYB, TXH,XXZ, the backroom teams of analysts, mental conditioning experts, strategists, sports scientists, trainers, nutritionists and more? Everyone knows that the players are the raw material; the finished product is the result of process -- collaboration, teamwork, research, practise, objective, etc. (Granted, the raw material itself must be high-grade for the finished product to be top quality! That is why we have a "process of elimination.") When CL was left to play his natural game, everyone used to beat him. Now, in the past 6 months, he is almost invincible. Do you really believe he did it on his own?

So where is the question of "excuse?" These are the facts of the matter. I accept that I am responsible for my losses. I accept that I have a problem. I also stress that I do not know how to solve this problem; it is not tactical or physical. It is strategic and mental and psychological. I have asked my bosses, what needs to be done? But my bosses say, "don't worry we have full faith in you, just practise hard, you are #1" and now I am even more stressed out. Because I feel responsible.

I have certain duties and obligations. I am also owed certain support and inputs if I am expected to fulfill my duties and obligations at an international level. That is only natural. If the quality of that support and input is lacking, am I not justified in pointing fingers? I have not pointed any fingers yet because I am a nice guy and because I like free cars and massage chairs, gold coins and shares. But don't forget, I am given all that because I have performed. What about those around me who have just had a free ride? When are you going to acknowledge that I have not taken my game to that final level of mental invincibility, because my own people, who I trusted and publicly stood by all this time (and still do) have let me down, and continue to do so, by constantly refusing to be more inclusive with outside professionals who bring the value-addition, no matter what?

Which national association has a part-time director of high-performance, for 2 years, who is more conspicuous by his absence?

While the internet is a great source of information and sometimes, unnecessary and often misleading and convenient quotes, I would also like to draw your attention to the simple definition of "blame":
    To hold responsible.
    To find fault with
    To censure

You will notice that I do not need an "excuse" to lay some old-fashioned "blame" at the door of the people I work with. But I am a G**-fearing man and I don't do all that. It is people like that devil, cobalt, who points fingers and blames others. Because he is not connected, has nothing to gain or lose, and has no manners. :D

Your humble servant,
    Chong Wei.

#7070 cobalt, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Come on cobalt; Lee Chong Wei doesn't need to say all that.

LCW only needs to stay focused and to stay confident to win his matches.

LCW should think positive, and believe that he is the best player in the world.

Currently, as we BCers read into LCW's mind, we somehow feel that LCW is thinking that he not is the best player in the world. And this is the reason why LCW feels so insecure.

BTW, this is only my opinion. :):):)

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    So what is preventing LCW from "only needs to stay focused and to stay confident to win his matches."

And if "LCW should think positive, and believe that he is the best player in the world." were all that was required, many other lesser players would have taken the Chinese team to the cleaners.

Now, we come to this: "we somehow feel that LCW is thinking that he not is the best player in the world. And this is the reason why LCW feels so insecure." Could it be because he also feels there is more than just a grain of truth in it?

You're right that LCW would not say all that I said. He would not, because he cannot. He has been conditioned. And it is that very conditioning that is now working against him.

With all respect to the other BCers here, I've read so many posts on soothing LCW's brow, and "never mind, you are still our hero" and "OG is not important, just do your best" which is not how I believe LCW looks at it. A guy who gives his blood, sweat and tears every day for years to achieve the pinnacle of his calling does not need consolation. He needs action from his team; he needs real help. He's not getting that; not enough here at BC, and certainly not enough from BAM.

My thinking tells me a very simple thing: remaining in a state of denial is not the need of the hour.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It is because LCW's coaches and BAM keep telling him that players from China (LD, CL and CJ) are strong (just read the many press releases from the Malaysian media).

This has always hampered LCW's confidence.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I won't argue that! :D

But I'd like to add:
    It is because he cannot confidently read the play of LD and CL any longer, but they can read his play. His style, including his feints, have become predictable. His speed of play, and his change of speed are often telegraphed; he can carry it off against most other players who are not equipped to take full advantage of this knowledge all the time. But what is more damning is that he and his team have not been able to analyse the (CBA) opponent's strategy mid-game.

The opponents know his trigger movements; his reflex counters; they can now plan tactics to put him off his rhythm; induce doubt; create confusion. Half the battle is won right there. The rest, as you know, is history.

Now let's see. BAM should know LD's trigger movements; his reflex counters; they should be able to plan tactics to put him off his rhythm; induce doubt; create confusion; win half the battle right there. LCW is the right man to carry out the war to its successful conclusion. What has BAM been doing? Sitting on their collective thumb, that's what.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am sure BAM know LD's trigger movements. But how to plan tactics to put LD off his rhythm, I am doubtful that BAM have found the answer.

Misbun Sidek once said for LCW to keep rallying with LD (in order to gain an advantage - Misbun was assuming that LCW has better stamina than LD); but it wasn't successful.

Now, without Misbun, I don't really know what tactics BAM would employ, and to tell LCW what to do.

16. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Staying with BAM, LCW gets all is training expenses and wish lists covered by BAM (err, actually MAS tax-payers), he knows he is the only chap that BAM can hopes to score the gold i.e. he got BAM by the balls:D, LCW gets paid huge bonuses by being WR1 from BAM, the going is good as he can continue to milk the cow so who why risk it all to go independent and to prove what, prove that he is loyal to MS, money talks and LCW is a smarter than you or maybe his folks straighten him up to stay with BAM, and who knows what influence LCW connections with the PM and his wife, fans are thinking too much of glory to MAS, this is professional sport, milk it when the going is good as when it all ends, that is it folks;)

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    In OLY2008, LCW admitted he had no clue how to play LD in his post-game interview as LD was too fast, too good, too focus, too well prepared, too much of everything to play LCW, and MS at LCW side could offer no advice either. Today, much the same thing but one more hurdle in CL to overcome. 8 months to go to solve this puzzle.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think even without BAM's reminder, LCW already knew and has experienced first hand how formidable the Chinese are. Pls don't make this into an excuse and blame it on BAM.

19. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    LCW's condition has been commented on by Gill Clark and Iain Wright especially with regards to long rallies where LCW appears to be panting.
    Someone on his BCer blog on TH has said that TH has been smoking and he hoped that TH has not influenced LCW, his good friend, with the bad habit. I share his sentiment.

20. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    Not just Gill Clark and Iain Wright, even Morten Frost commented on this matter.