The right raquets for a left hander?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by slayer22, Aug 3, 2008.

1. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

What's the string tension ? If it's anything high for you ( 24lbs + ), then I can assume that you'll start experiencing pains in your shoulder after playing for a while, since the NS9KX's shaft is very stiff. If you can't flex the shaft, then it's pointless to use that racquet :(.. ( You need to produce a fast swing to flex the shaft, and you need the correct technique for that. )

I'm wondering why you opted for the NS9KX instead of the others which were reccomended for you. Since you can't clear full court yet, I'm assuming that your forehand stroke has a flaw of some kind and is slow because of it.
    It would've been a better choice to go for a head-heavy racquet with a more flexible shaft such as the Armortec500 in this case. It can produce alot of power even with a slower swing.

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    ...Very soon you'll notice your clears going 1/2 court only... Hope you strung your racquet very loose.

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    20lbs should be able to help you clear end to end.

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Lets say that the re-stringing costs around 25AUD, and the racquet costs around approx 260AUD. That's altogether 285AUD or so. If he had spent that money on coaching for a few sessions ( if the private coach charges 30AUD and hour ), he'd be able to clear full-court with ease. But by buying to the tempting NS9K, it can take him alot longer to be able to clear full-court..

Many of us including myself are lazy, we try to improve ourselves by upgrading our equipment instead of doing the hard work to improve our fitness/skills/technique.
    But of course.. if we're so skilled to the point that we can not improve ourselves anymore, then it's alright for us to search for equipments which will help us generate slightly more power or whatever. ( I already have an at700, and auspic's very repulsive strings, I don't need to search for anything more powerful :p )

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    now.........
    i cant blame my rackets anymore :(
    can i blame the shuttlecocks then? :p:D

6. slayer22

slayer22 Regular Member

studen
    lol . the string is factory stung, lol its not that i do not want to go but i cannot go the training sessions due to school & work & other reasons as i am in vce.

i got pro friends who have been going to training/coaching for years & playing competitions! so they'll be glad to help me out i hope =p

flaws? yup i know my flaw lol. i bend my arm when trying to clear. im trying to fix that but accuracy isn't the same,

this may or may not be a floor but i do not do the switch foot technique or the jump lol. >.>

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If only a change of racquet or a change in tension can help your clears, then it is likely your clears basically lacks power. A change in racquet or tension is merely a bandaid. If you cannot get power for those clears from very stiff racquets but are able to do better with more flexible racquets, then your problem is essentially one of technique. It may be better to use a very stiff racquet to correct this area of weakness. Lack of power with clears are due to:
    1. Slow arm swing.
    2. Arm bent or swing interrupted.
    3. Short backswing.
    4. Wrist not used enough, or used too early or too late.
    5. Leaning or moving back at impact, thus not putting body weight into shot.

8. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Haha, the organiser of one of the clubs I used to attend.. He always used to shout and swear at his racquet when he made mistakes. Pretty funny, should've filmed him and uploaded it on youtube :D.. *points the middle-finger at his racquet*..

I don't do that to my AT700, I love her :).

Slayer22, I suggest you to film yourself playing, post it on youtube or something and show it to us. We can then point-out your errors or flaws with your technique that you may not be aware of.
    Seriously, I watched myself play and I found out all of my errors, mistakes or weird-ness :eek::D..

9. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Lucky he only screams at his racket and not abuse it like Safin.

10. slayer22

slayer22 Regular Member

studen
    okay lol. its gonna look unco or something and it will be @ my school ..bit noisy =p.. hope u guys don't mind ^_^ .. i'll be using the ns9000 X ..something new to my hands =p

11. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    well like others have said...either get an instructor or remain at your current lvl =) cause clearing is the msot important skill. A racquet may help you slightly but not by alot...if your still determined to get a new racquet...i believe something headlight will help you generate power...such as the nanos, stay away from the 9000x, its far too stiff for you and the S is still too stiff.

12. slayer22

slayer22 Regular Member

studen
    no one had time to record me play but i found out how to hold a racquet properly!! >< .. but my thumb was bleeding. as for the 9000x i had to generate a little bit more power..what racquet next thats in the yonex range?

13. Dead Fish

Dead Fish Regular Member

Teacher
    I'm not sure that a racket is to be blamed for lack of skill, as an example I'm pretty sure that if Lin Dan used a racket from the dollar store he could still beat all of us. Ever heard the saying "A good calligrapher doesn't have to choose his pen"?

14. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Get an overgrip and wrap it over the original grip.. or get a replacement grip. Get something which would absorb the vibration. You don't want to have a bleeding thumb every time you play.

What?! are you looking for another new racquet ?! :eek:
    I strongly advise you to spend money on coaching, and not on equipment.
    Or atleast, don't buy a new racquet.. just replace your strings. I advice you to try out nbg98 then.

15. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You can buy NBG98 from me if you want. Buying a high end racket will not make you good.

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yup, and neither will Yonex-clothing ( that the professionals wear ) ;)..

We can only look good in photos by having the most expensive equipment, but the way we play won't be any different.

17. slayer22

slayer22 Regular Member

studen
    i did do a over grip, and i sold my n9000 x to a friend for the same price i got it for lol. because he saw me have a toss with it when it was just opened and i said it wasn't for me and SOLD. so another racquet isn't a problem ^_^. i was looking at the arc saber 7 lol .

18. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You really should consider getting an average racket and use the money to get a coach to train you.

19. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Why not just buy a cheap racquet like low end AT, low end CAB, ISO75MF light, etc. They're better for newbies because they're easier to generate power with, they're cheaper, probably more durable, and especially will leave you more $$ to spend on coaching.

20. slayer22

slayer22 Regular Member

studen
    #40 slayer22, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008