Misbun quits as national singles coach

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Jan 1, 2011.

1. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    After I posted my comment, there's another press statement saying Nadzmi refused to give any more statement since earlier on his statement was misunderstood and written wrongly... perhaps this is the one... but I stick to my opinion, towards the person having such thoughtless words in his mind to be writing such statements...

2. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I agree with era. Something like denoucing Misbun and LCW as someone who are disloyal and unfaithful to the nation is not something that can be spoken lightly to the public, especially to the coach/player who bring numerous glory to the country past these years. I think Nadzmi have bursted that out of frustration but regret on what he said afterward (how could journalists from several press misinterprete what Nadzmi said simultaneously if he did not have the intention to say those thing) and changed his stance. After he bolted out such statements in press, I really doubt his capability as a leader to an organization. Surely, you won't make such irresponsible comments if you were a great leader. A great leader is someone who seek solution and correct the problem positively rather than talking to the press and make things worse. If they were fine leaders, Misbun and LCW would not have wanted to take the risk to leave BAM. Have you heard of Tang Xian Fu/Lin Dan or Park Joo Bong trying to quit their own respective badminton association? He speak how much of a leader he is throught his action. I mean seriously, how good can one be, if one can't even keep their best coach/player in the organization?

#342 lcleing, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    ask the president and clowns to errrr.... balik lah.... lol. ;)

oh... singapore is looking for a new boss in sba. Perhaps he should apply here.. see if he qualifies.. lol ;)

4. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    BAM have three options on how to resolve crisis

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Give in, compromise or make a strong stand.
    One of this is likely to be the decision that the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) exco will take at their meeting at the Juara Stadium today on Misbun Sidek’s decision to quit as national singles coach.

It is a delicate matter because if the BAM decide to let Misbun go, a group of players, led by world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, may also walk out of the national training centre.

The 29-year-old Chong Wei has openly declared that he will choose to be under the charge of Misbun at least until he completes his campaign in the London Olympics next year.

With such impact and consequences on the cards, attention will be on the BAM exco meeting and how they will weather yet another storm.

It is now clearer that Misbun’s grouses are linked directly to several structural changes and decisions made by the new coaching and training committee, headed by Ng Chin Chai, who is also the BAM secretary.

In a five-page letter to BAM president Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh, Misbun wrote about his unhappiness with some of the committee members and some of their decisions.

And he repeated the grouses during an open discussion with Nadzmi in a meeting initiated by Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek.

Misbun lamented the lack of respect showed by some of them to him and his coaching programme. He was also slighted that his reasons for wanting to coach his son, Ramdan, fell on deaf ears.

On the other hand, the coaching and training committee, mostly new members, are determined to strengthen their programmes based on collective agreement.

The other members of the committee are Datuk Lim Teong Kiat, Datuk Maijol Mahap, Teoh Teng Chor, Tony Tan Gim Hin, Abdul Hadi Datuk Abdul Kadir, Datuk James Selvaraj, Rashid Sidek, Misbun, Rexy Mainaky, Tan Kim Her, Hendrawan, Johari Wahab, Kenny Goh and the National Sports Institute (NSI) representative.

The ideal decision for the BAM to take is to let Misbun and Chong Wei go if they strongly believe that their system will bear fruits in the long run.

After all, it is Misbun’s decision to resign and it will be Chong Wei’s own will to follow suit. The BAM can give Chong Wei the blessings to compete in all the major tournaments as long as he maintains his standard.

Some of the exco members also strongly feel that it is high time for the BAM to start afresh – leave Misbun and Chong Wei with their own plans – and continue with the tasks to strengthen the back-up group.

The changes in their recent coaching and training structure are aimed at having a big pool of quality players in the back-up squad with coaches Hendrawan and Kim Her working to lift the standard of the juniors in the singles and doubles departments respectively.

The public will surely take their hats off to the BAM if they stick by their decision.

But the situation is more complicated for the BAM with the involvement of other stakeholders – the Youth and Sports Ministry, National Sports Council, sponsors and even some top political figures.

And with the London Olympics just one year away, it is a big gamble to allow Chong Wei to walk out of the regimented training system.

If the statements made by Shabery are anything to go by, there will be a strong inclination towards getting Misbun to stay after all.

The minister had said: “I hope that there will be a win-win situation.
    “Misbun has contributed much to Malaysian sport.”

Nadzmi is expected to give Misbun another shot. And some adjustments are expected to be made by the BAM to enable Misbun to stay on to coach Chong Wei for another shot to strike Olympic gold for Malaysia. He is also expected to coach several other players, including his son, in a bid to make them world beaters.

The BAM are expected to bend their ways for short-term glory. And they will be hoping that by swallowing their pride, the partnership of Misbun-Chong Wei will reward them with gold at the London Games.

VIEWS ON MISBUN SIDEK’S RESIGNATION

KEEP HIM
    Datuk Wira Mazlan Ahmad(former NSC director general):
    The management need to adapt. Special athletes need special treatment. Coaches and players like Misbun Sidek-Lee Chong Wei; Rexy Mainaky-Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong; and squash player Nicol David can be given special treatment because they have proven themselves. There can be exceptions to the rule if they bring out the best in them. I think the BAM coaching and training structure needs a revamp. Misbun quit because he was unhappy over some issues. Why are the BAM so keen to let him go even before hearing him? The issues he raised should have been addressed. The BAM president now knows the reasons for his resignation. I hope the exco will be open and accept Misbun’s grouses and look into them. I have a suggestion for the BAM if they decide to bring back Misbun. I think, Misbun, Rashid Sidek and Hendrawan should be put in charge of three different groups. These groups must comprise elite, back-up and junior shuttlers and training should be carried out in different centres. There should be competitions among these groups. The same should be done in the doubles. And the high performance director should monitor them. The coaching and training committee should look into this.

I WILL FOLLOW HIM

Lee Chong Wei (world No. 1 shuttler):
    Misbun is my coach and I will follow him. If he decides to leave, I will follow suit. But I hope the BAM will look into his resignation and persuade him to change his mind. I am grateful to him because I am where I am because of him. He has been a great influence in my career as a badminton player and also as a person. I would like to pursue my dream to win honours at the Olympics with my coach by my side.

BAM EXCO’S MIXED REACTIONS

Datuk Sayed Abu Bakar Abdullah (vice-president):
    I was of the opinion that we should let Misbun go when the news of resignation broke. But I have changed my mind after speaking to him. He is not happy with some of the decisions made by the coaching and training committee. And I learnt that he was not given time to explain himself. I think it’s only fair that we hear what he says again. Voices should not be raised and matters in the coaching and training committee should be spoken with respect. Datuk Maijol Mahap (vice-president): It is his decision to resign. We cannot do anything if he has made up his mind. But now, our president will give us new input on the matter and it’s only fair to listen to what he says before we make a collective decision or find a solution to this. Datuk Lim Teong Kiat (treasurer): Misbun resigned on his own accord. No one pressured him to do so. I think, the method and conduct of this whole incident could have been done differently. Anyway, it’s best that I reserve my comment until our president gives his input on the matter. After all, he was the one who met the Youth and Sports Minister and Misbun. We would like to know whether there were any conditions set during the meeting. However, one thing is for sure, our decision will not be influenced by what others think about the matter, including players like Lee Chong Wei.

LET THEM BE INDEPENDENT

Datuk Sieh Kok Chi (Olympic Council of Malaysia secretary):
    Sports in our country are going through a transition period with athletes and coaches moving away from associations. They train out but yet get the support from the government and benefit from the facilities given by the National Sports Council (NSC) and National Sports Institute (NSI). This has already been implemented in other countries. It is our choice whether we want to be part of a free market or a central plan. The athletes and coaches always want to get the better deal. This is the norm. If Misbun Sidek and Lee Chong Wei want to turn independent, they should be given the blessings. Professional club Nusa Mahsuri tried to stand on their own before but they were not too successful. But the time could be right for Misbun and Chong Wei to venture into this world of professionalism again. This BAM versus coach and player situation is like a father and son relationship. There will be a time when the father has to let go of the son.

#344 SibugiChai, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  5. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Ng Chin Chai took the blow on behalf of Datuk N.

Ng Chin Chai took the blow on behalf of Datuk N.

Misspoon & Datuklee has openly stated the problem has raised long time ago & not just recently. Ng Chin Chai just took over office not long ago.

CONCLUSION = Datuk N. survived another war unhurt using his new found shield.

6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Badminton: Misbun saga nears final chapter

2011/01/12

By K.M. Boopathy

THE BA of Malaysia's (BAM) will act to bring to an end the issue of national singles Misbun Sidek's resignation during its executive council (Exco) meeting today.

The general consensus is that BAM is expected to adopt a win-win situation where Misbun will be retained without disrupting the national training structure.

However, Misbun should only be retained if he does not lay down conditions as BAM cannot be seen to be bending backwards to accommodate an individual who wants everything his way.

BAM made some positive restructuring last year and brought in Datuk James Selvaraj to ensure Malaysia are able produce future champions.

Misbun's model had worked wonders for Lee Chong Wei and the coach was given a free hand to run his programme.

BAM only slightly interfered when it wanted World No 1 Chong Wei to play less tournaments so he could spend more time in quality training, and then took Misbun's son Misbun Ramdan out of his father's care and put him under Hendrawan's guidance.

The second decision was probably what hurt Misbun most, thus forcing him to hand in his resignation.

BAM, for its part, should accept Misbun's decision if the coach persists with his demands. Most of the council members have accepted Misbun's decision and are unwilling to make an about-turn.

BAM should accept Misbun's resignation and move on even if it means the association losing Chong Wei, who has made it clear he will follow his coach no matter what.

Chong Wei's marketability will affect BAM in the short term but the player is sure to move on after next year's Olympics.

So, it is better that BAM focuses on the back-up players and junior development as Malaysia's talent pool is shrinking fast.

Misbun and Chong Wei will still continue to enjoy the support of the sponsors and Sports Ministry as they are part of the 'Road to London 2012' programme but it is high time BAM gave serious thought to other shuttlers

It's coming to an end.

7. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Let's open a BET on the outcome of this sage.
    1. BAM kowtow (suck thumb)
    2. BAM + Misbun + LCW: compromise on certain issues and some minor changes (re-org)
    3. Misbun + LCW: Just walk away and form a seperate BOLEH entity, and Misbun is also LCW's agent/spokeperson to reap all sponsors, esp Li Ning

BOLEH tak?

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    i say mostly likely the no. 2 and 10 satays plus 2 ketumpat :D

9. press100

press100 Regular Member

Science Officer
    It's ketupat, not ketumpat...:D

10. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant

only 10 satay n 2 ketupat? not enough la... :D:D;)

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    No. 2 is the most likely outcome. ...And they all live happily ever after. Face saving.

12. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    well, that's the president who is obviously in oblivion of what's going on in the association and the feelings of the coaches and players... and yet he's named the president for as long as I can remember.... tsk, tsk, tsk.... pity the new secretary...

13. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    sorry guys, i only know how to eat them as for spelling my mistake, can't recall why the m was there:eek:

maybe reading dear misbun post too much:D

that would be just nice, too much can't talk much :)

14. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    i see a possibility if the final outcome leaves misbun and chong wei out of bam,

li ning will outbid yonex for the sponsorship in bam eventually :)

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Both Li Ning and Yonex are monitoring this very closely? Victor also?

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    sure, every of these sponsors are keen to sponsor malaysia.

li ning is currently snooping behind yonex,

they have outbid yonex in the malaysian school sports since last year :D

17. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Comment: Compromise and be prepared to pay, BAM

http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/37c_ul/Article#ixzz1AnxzUTyG

MISBUN Sidek will only rejoin the BA of Malaysia (BAM) if the association bows to his demands. Is this the way a respected world class coach should behave?

It's decision day today when BAM members deliberate on Misbun's demands before deciding on the next course of action.

Going by the heart-to-heart talk between Misbun and BAM president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Salleh on Sunday, the former will only return if the association makes the necessary changes he wants to the coaching set-up which was reshuffled last August.

The bottom-line is that Misbun only wants to coach a selected few which includes World No 1 Lee Chong Wei and his son Ramdan Misbun.

BAM is also in a difficult position as Chong Wei has threatened to quit the national team if Misbun is not coaxed into extending his contract as coach.

There's no denying Chong Wei has improved tremendously under Misbun and the shuttler believes only Misbun can guide him to the world and Olympic titles.

Misbun shocked the badminton fraternity by tendering his resignation letter on New Year's eve claiming that he has had enough of badminton.

But the truth emerged during Sunday's meeting with Nadzmi.

BAM must remain firm in this matter as, if it bows to Misbun's demands now, then it would be setting an unhealthy precedence.

If Misbun, as a national coach cannot accept BAM's coaching structure, then he should go elsewhere. And if Chong Wei wants to follow his coach then he should go too.

But it is a tricky issue for BAM as, if Chong Wei's leaves, it could lose millions from sponsorships.

Whether BAM likes it or not, Chong Wei is its selling power in terms of securing sponsorship deals.

But if BAM chooses to be positive, the money saved on bonuses and other expenditure on Misbun and Chong Wei, could be utilised for the young players.

There is no point in keeping those who want things only their way. Misbun and Chong Wei should be thankful to BAM who made them what they are today.

BAM has produced many world class players before this and for sure, it will be able to groom new talent in the same mould as Chong Wei.

BAM, please make no compromises that will hurt the future of the game.

18. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

19. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Not too sure. IMHO, I feel that he has made some good points, but the ball is now with the big boss in BAM.

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Wow, imagine your work-colleague telling the boss that he/she only wants to work on projects that are guaranteed success

and which she/he likes. Let others have the crappy ones as he/she is entitled to first bite!Sure makes his/her job so easy.

No wonder Frost said 10 years ago " The mark of a great coach is not producing great players from already talented ones,

but in making ordinary players into good ones".

If we apply this elitist rule I think only 5 % of youngsters here will qualify for tertiary education, the rest can drop put and be coolies and there will be no middle management or executives.