2014 INDIA Grand Prix Gold : Qualification to FINALS (21st-26th January 2014)

Discussion in 'Korea / Malaysia / India Open 2014' started by CLELY, Jan 20, 2014.

1. ting_ht

ting_ht Regular Member

XS is ranking #50 now and I believe he will go up a few positions after today's result. Let's hope he can make it.

[TABLE="class: ruler"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: rank"]50
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: rank_up"][/TD]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [TD]CHN[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG]SONG Xue[/TD]
    [TD]Profile[/TD]
    [TD]78769[/TD]
    [TD="class: right rankingpoints"]26850.0000[/TD]
    [TD="class: right"]8[/TD]
    [TD]Asia[/TD]
    [TD]China[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Too engrossed in the Australian Open and did not watch any of the matches from day one. Just check the results in TS and read your posts here. Glad that the Chinese youngsters played well to win 4 titles. That match between XS and SK must be very exciting the way you guys described it.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Both the coach Gopichand and the player Srikanth himself were too excited and eager to win. Another thing is you cannot go all out to win G1 without pacing yourself well - he was literally attacking at every opportunity without constructing his rally when needed.

I think if this match were played outside India, Srikanth wouldn't be over-excited but would be able to play more normally at his high level and minimise those wild swings.

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

he will be at #32 or thereabout next week. so in all likelyhood he should be in the main draw directly.

#324 AlanY, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In short, K Srikanth shocked Xue Song in G1, but somehow in G2 Xue Song was able to save himself barely, then in G3 it was Xue Song who turned the tables on Srikanth.

You really got to watch it live to feel the excitement, the despair, the highs and the lows of both players in order to experience the overall impact of not knowing the final outcome until the very end. Even now as I write, the lingering effect is still with me.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Glad to hear that. Straight to the main draw, bypassing the qualifiers even, excellent. Thanks, AlanY.

7. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I'm not gonna say "I told you so" :D

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Well, when they both were struggling to make it to where they are now, only Yonex was around to offer them assistance and support. Even now, most of the Indian players seem to be using Yonex gear.

9. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    [​IMG] Originally Posted by Oldhand [​IMG]
    I don't see Srikanth beating Xue Song today.
    I'm now waiting for him to prove me wrong :p

Your words sounded like a curse to K Srikanth in today's MSF, the victory just slipped away from his grip... must be quite painful and carved into mind for good.

10. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    looks like srikanth still using yonex racquet !

11. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Can someone confirm if Marten Frost commentated BOTH today and yesterday? If so, I'd like to downlaod the matches and listen :). Can someone post or pm me the individual (youtube?) links please?

12. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

you mean that one match during the IBL which many speculate could've been a thrown game;)? lol jk, idk, it seems she can hold her own ground with the best and make many of her opponents feel pressured, but find it repeatedly hard to get within Saina's killshot..even with them sparring multiple times during practice. then again I've yet to watch today's videos so Saina could be really good..in which case I hope she carries a little bit of this to the next 3-4 events, AND win where it matters

13. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    I hate it when somebody fuels up things.... who are the many who speculate the game was thrown up? and the reason for Sindhu to throw a game? Please India isnt China :)
    They both are sparring partners so they both know each others game.... Or may be Saina is still better.... I do hope Sindhu gives a better fight though and they both really compete...

14. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Badminton needs the nations unless more money is generated.... Its actually wonderful to see Nation also getting its pride in supporting the game... just my two cents...

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, MF commentated both days, semifinals and finals, for the doubles and MS whilst GC for the WS, if my memory is right, definitely so for today's matches on TV court.

I watched both days live on TV and other matches on livestream, not sure about their availability on youtube. You can do a search or perhaps somebody else can point you to it.

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina won an international tournament at home? Is this the first time she has managed this feat? (Not counting that CWG thingie of course...)

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The young China contingent lived up to the promise of their youth. It is certainly not unusual to see "unknown" or "unheralded" youngsters from China walk unseeded (and often through qualifying rounds) and end up on the podium. It points to the high level of fundamental excellence that has been drilled into them from the time they begin training. Congratulations to all of them!

Of course, not all of these players make it consistently over a few or many seasons to the podium again. That is possibly something to do with the law of averages. And also the fact the the "unknown" aspect of their game/s (strengths/weaknesses) is not longer a secret, and also that like everyone else they are human, and tend to evolve differently from their present position.

Nevertheless, this phenomenon is something to applaud and maybe for other countries, to learn from. I'm not sure that is entirely possible for most other countries though- they don't have the numbers, or in some cases, the quality of infrastructure and backroom support that the China youngsters can depend upon.

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

2009 and 2010 India gp and gpg. Still must be relieved to bag this one.

19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

I thought the match will be finished in straight-sets when Srikanth lead 19-12 then Xue S got second wind to pull out and locked Srikanth to seal game 2 with 21-19, a great comeback by Xue S and big wasting from Srikanth as the local hope only needed 2 points to win here, what a dramatic MS match...
    Xue Song expressed his winning so emotionally as he was at the edge of losing.

Well, home fans were still cheering for WS match, Saina finally nailed it as she said Lucknow is the lucky ground for her.

20. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Xue Song is only 20yrs old (correct if I'm wrong) and he is a very solid player, damn fit (look at his body - he showed off his solid 6 packs after winning the match). Even Morten said his body is like robot, very solid...

I predict XS is the next Chen Long... really envy China for such talented junior player playing so well in GP...