Zhou Mi : The end is here.

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by ants, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That should be the case.

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

http://sports.sinchew-i.com/node/14605?tid=3

2-year ban if a foregone conclusion ‧ Zhou Mi of Hong Kong or any assistant
    Created 09/06/2010 - 18:16

(Reuters Hong Kong 6) Hong Kong Yu total, the institute were the number one on the badminton women's singles Zhou Mi was suspended for two years, shocked the Hong Kong head coach, said He Yiming, Zhou Mi will be played young players instead of the Asian Games, Yu total and said if the institute can not change the final decision of suspension 2 years are welcome to Zhou Mi transfer assistant.
    In addition, Zhou Mi from the institute had received more than 20,000 yuan per month scholarship athlete funding, but the suspension period, the institute will be temporarily suspended their qualifications. Sara Dean Trisha body said that if Zhou Mi decided to appeal, the institute will be fully supported.
    She said: "the institute on the matter are extremely shocked and saddened, Zhou Mi has never violated doping regulations over the years, we have been for her honesty, hard work and never compromise the spirit of achievement for all impressive. This unfortunate incident reminds athlete, not feeling certain to see a doctor, no matter how common drugs, can only take a doctor's prescription and permitted the use of drugs. "
    For Zhou Mi in the suspension period will go from here, Cui Sha said that if Zhou Mi of Hong Kong are willing to serve as teaching assistants, will welcome the transition. General Chairman of the Hong Kong Tong Wai-lun Yu stressed that Hong Kong's Zhou Mi made numerous past glory, it would respect the decision Zhou Mi, made every effort to help her appeal, as Zhou Mi future trends, will be attached, such as Zhou Mi and decided to ask her feelings after the discussion.

translated by Google translator

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Reminds me a bit of Linford Christie. Great sprinter, stellar career, retired with no Drugs records of any kind. Comes of out of retirement to run in a lower grade event where some of his students were competing at & fails a test.

Question marks over his whole career & banned from even Coaching at the olympics (British Olympic rules)

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I hope that Zhou Mi will not say "The end is here"

This thread is titled "The end is here".

It reminds me of the song "My way"; which starts with "And now, the end is near".

I hope that Zhou Mi will not say "The end is here"; but "The end is near".

Hope that Zhou Mi will still stay with Badminton for many years to come. :):):)

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I am sure she will. People who move countries to play love to play badminton, so I am sure she will coach, if not play. (hk already said she wil....)

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The "Mi" got Goreng this time... "Goreng" means Fried...

Got info that HKBA will do their best to help Zhou Mi to appeal on the case.. i guess they will still need her for 2012?

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..and the "Mi" or "Mee" means Noodle..;)

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    No Pun intended... respect to Zhou Mi.. and i love to eat "Chow Mi" also. :).

On a serious note.. Zhou Mi was very disappointed and she cried when the decision was made... :(. Hope everything goes well after this..

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I thought Mi should be rice...

Mein should be noodle?

Anyway, the Mi in Her name means Honey.

10. ytyang

ytyang Regular Member

It depends on what language you are speaking, Mandarin or Fujian dialect.

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..if that's the case, then why didn't she consult with the national team's physician(s) prior to her purchasing the medication? or there's no specific physician(s) within the HK national team being in charge of taking care of the players (incl. ZM) if they're sick? or is this common practice for HK players to purchase their own medication if they're sick? or she wasn't aware or forgot about the drug testing being applied in BWF?..or simply just an unfortunate "victim" to the random drug testing?..
    off topic:
    actually it's in Indonesian/Malay (can be written as Mi or Mee or Mie); keeping it in the same language..just like the word "goreng" (fried)...;)

#51 ctjcad, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  12. GoDLee

GoDLee Regular Member

English teacher
    She cant be the only one

13. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

I'm really surprised that most people here on the forum don't seem to be very critical about her drug abuse. Zhou Mi is 31 years old and a longtime professional! I really can't imagine her being so naive to take drugs without knowing to be honest.

14. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    I think most members are giving her the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps due to poor judgement during a time of poor health.

Plus she's well loved in the badminton community and has good 'reputation' so to speak. If she passed all test before... strange to start failing now on purpose.

Everyone makes mistakes. Intentionally and unintentionaly.

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    From what I gather from the translations it was a TCM so she probably just bought it as she was out. I am sure HK have their own team doctor (I know when I met ZM when she was in China team she was with her doctor all the time.....

From Off topic: I was talking about Mandarin.....as she is chinese!

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..so if she just bought it as she was out, does that also imply her HK teammates could buy TCM's medication with/without the consent of their team's physician/coach, should they become ill? Or they would still go through the team's physician's consent?..if the former is the case, then i would say ZM was unfortunate to be caught..Or unless she totally forgot or wasn't aware of the types of medication she could take..

OT: Yes, i know it's ("mein") a Mandarin word and yes, i know she is chinese!;)

17. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Well, they are free to buy TCM when they become ill, the point is whether they should do & whether they want to take the risk. The onus is always on the athlete to think before ingesting anything, even food!

I would be surprised if the HKBA didn't have any policy or rule for the above. If they don't they will surely make some now.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Here's the latest and greatest update abt Zhou Mi's case..

..courtesy from badzine..
    http://www.badzine.net/features/zhou-mi’s-exclusive-interview-with-badzine/7452/
    ================================================================
    ZHOU MI – Exclusive Interview with BADZINE
    By Raphael Sachetat– September 15, 2010
    Posted in: Features

Former world number one Zhou Mi, banned for having being tested positive for Clenbuterol in a sample taken out of competition in June is strongly stating her innocence. She is willing to appeal the decision to ban her for 2 years and said she might get pregnant if the appeal fails – something she says no woman would do if using drugs. She gave Badzine an exclusive interview.

Badzine: When did you realize that you may have committed a mistake? Were you afraid of the outcome of the test?

Zhou Mi: Until the BWF made the judgment, I didn’t worry about the result. I didn’t believe I would be punished because I wasn’t worried for my sample. I remember I was applying for a visa when I got the notice of the doping test. I went back to Hong Kong Sports Institute immediately.

BZI: You said you were aware of the Wada rules. Did the pharmacist tell you the medicine didn’t contain any forbidden substance? Did the medicine have any effect on you? Did you feel better at all?

ZM: When I was in the Chinese team, the team management was in a collective format. As a player, I didn’t need to worry about all these aspects of the game because the staff would take care of it. But this is the main difference between the China and Hong Kong teams. Here I have to prepare and manage everything by myself.

Actually I’ve always used Chinese medicine since settling in HK. Over the years, there has been no problem with this. I don’t think Chinese medicine will bring any kind of bad influence.

After I took the medicine, my fever and flu got better of course. Even now, I am not sure that specific medicine is the main reason for the positive result of the doping test.

BZI: What would you advise the BWF/tournament organizers to do for independent players, who do not have doctors constantly with them? Should an independent doctor be appointed for such players and reachable at all times?

ZM: Only physiologists will go with the team when we go to the competition overseas, but no doctor. This is the problem that all the teams are now facing.

BZ : Do you feel the 2-year ban is unfair? What sentence would you feel is fair for your mistake?

ZM: Up to this moment, I do think the judgment is unfair to me. I never use any prohibited stimulant to enhance my performance and to create the unfair competition. Moreover, Clenbuterol is useless to me. I think I should be warned but not banned for 2 years.

BZI: What will you do if the ban is confirmed? Keep training, or become a coach for Hong Kong?

ZM: If the final appeal fails then I will not be able to continue to train. It is the coach’s decision and not mine. To prove my innocence, I will soon give birth to a child. No one who dopes would dare to do such a thing.

The interview was conducted by email on September 10th in Chinese and translated into English. The original version is available – you can contact us at redaction@badzine.info

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Power to Zhou Mi!

20. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    ? How would getting pregnant prove her innocence, that would be an novel defence?!

Well she appears also to be criticising the HKBA in the interview about the fact they have less monitoring of these issues (but that may be just the translation).

The player is responsible though and it is them that gets punished. Accidents are no excuse, otherwise people would always use them & claim it was accidental.