Would you boo at court officals when they make terrible line calls?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by chris-ccc, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    is it INA player win on that game or not?

2. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I don't think the line judge was really looking as he turned his head to the ground real quickly.

The procedure to replace a line judge is, if a player wants to, he must inform the umpire. The umpire will then make the decision to agree to replace, if the umpire chooses to do so, he/she will call over the tournament referee and inform to them what's going on before getting a replacement. Otherwise, if the umpire believes that the line judge is doing a bad job, he/she may just call the referee over for a replacement.

3. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Lee Yong Dae/Lee Hyo Jung def. Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa 15-21, 21-14, 21-18.

It was the XD final of the 2008 Korea SS.

4. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

Your point of neutrality is very critical to the development and advancement of the game as a spectator sport. I do not know any technical official who would deliberately make a favourable call. Most of the calls are made as they see it.

I have not come across any such rule, in any of the BWF handbooks. However, I know, that since BWF is an Olympic family-member, the conduct of the technical officials at BWF and all its confederations must adhere to the contemporary code of ethics and professionalism. This means all technical officials - referees, umpires, and line judges.

Generally, I would expect the professionalism and ethical code to contain the following elements:

• That I shall always maintain the utmost respect for the game and sport of badminton;
    • That I will conduct myself honourably at all times and maintain the dignity of my position;
    • That I shall always honor a contractual obligation;
    • That I will endeavor to attend local meetings and clinics so as best to know the Laws of Badminton and their proper interpretations;
    • That I will always strive to achieve maximum teamwork with my fellow technical officials;
    • That I shall be loyal to my fellow officials and colleagues, and never knowingly promote criticism of them;
    • That I shall be in good physical condition so as to be in the right place at the right time;
    • That I will control the players effectively by being courteous and considerate without sacrificing firmness;
    • That I shall do my utmost to assist my fellow officials to better themselves and their work;
    • That I shall not make statements about any game except to clarify an interpretation of the Laws of Badminton;
    • That I consider it a privilege to be a part of the United States Badminton and I will strive to make my actions reflect credit upon that organization and its affiliates.
    Allow me to look deeper to find a proper reference.

5. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

At most tourneys, officials on the court will not have the full support of players, team officials, and the spectators. Most of the time, criticism of officials just undermines their role in the game. This is why there are guidelines and codes.

The players, their coaches and coaching staff, the technical officials, including the line and service judges and the umpires and referees, and the tourney organisation staff are bound by more or less professionalism code, a code of ethics or conduct if you will. I am pretty certain, one of these codes contain some language about not criticising the official, booing, even as a mode to waking up, notwithstanding.

And as to the public display of raw emotion by a spectator, well fortunately for them, there is no such behavioural guidelines.

As for that species of spectator who also knows from experience what it takes to be in the technical official's chair, well, for a person like this, I do not know what emoticons to use for my actual feelings.

#25 2wheels04, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Contemporary code of ethics and professionalism

Well said. Spectators would not like to watch a poorly run and/or poorly played match. This includes 'match-fixing'.

This code of ethics and professionalism is great. It should be sent to BWF.

Perhaps an emoticon with head shaking from side to side. :):):)

Seriously speaking, when some linespersons who are not in good physical condition, like being sleepy, they themselves should request to be replaced. Otherwise, they should make no call - like by placing their hands to cover their eyes indicating that they could not tell (in or out).

7. amirx2

amirx2 Regular Member

Chemist
    we talk on principle, but we act on interest.

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Yes, the whole crowd will boo at the court officials if they made a terrible line calls or terrible mistake in managing the match.
    That often happens in the MAS OPEN AFAIK;)

9. God Bless M'sia

God Bless M'sia Regular Member

Kinda complex...
    Hahaha...its quite funny!...prolly he dozed off for awhile....or mayb he was distracted by sth else jst before the drop. :p

About the booing

10. God Bless M'sia

God Bless M'sia Regular Member

Kinda complex...
    (Hmmm...strange, i cant edit my own replies????)

cont from above - About the "booing", its quite contagious you know? Once ur in the crowd, with ur gang of supporters, usually its a different story...but i've never been to a real pro match before...only wtch on TV so far.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Malaysian spectators are vocal

:D:D:D That's because Malaysian spectators are vocal (vocal critics of what's wrong or unfair).

In Australia, many Badminton spectators are reluctant to boo because most of them are from Asian background. But in other sports like Football, Cricket, Tennis, etc, ......, where spectators are mostly non-Asians, they would boo when error of judgement has been made. They want to voice out that an unfair decision has been made.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Boo in front of the TV

Boo in front of the TV then...... :p:p:p