Park Joo Bong criticised the BWF for allowing CHN to play in the 2012 TC and UC

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup Preliminary Round 2012' started by chris-ccc, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

You are not suggesting that the current rules are good enough, are you??

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

You faltered me Sir, in that case I must submit my CV to you :) BTW I did not complete the assingment you gave me last time, does that matter?? LOL

3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

I’m in total agreement with PJB regarding his outburst on BWF. It’s such unfortunately that he didn’t voice his disapproval earlier at the Sudirman Cup that has the same scoring system and benefited his players so much. Adopting the team results for the individual events is not new, been like that for years. People were not happy about that but it fallen on BWF’s deaf ears.

To use the team results for individual rankings is illogical and unnecessary. It’s not that we don’t have enough tournaments a year to get the true picture of the ranking but to offer the same points for the preliminary of the team events is just ridiculous. Unfortunately, that seems to be BWF’s ‘vision’ of how badminton tournaments should be, i.e. participation rather than winning.

Have a look of the current ranking system, for a typical SS points if you lost 3 times in a SF you’re better off than winning 2 of them, what kind of system is that. That’s the message BWF trying to send out all along. Let’s say LCW beat PG in the SF twice in a row and won the titles, if he skips the next one and PG lost in the SF again he will displace LCW as No 1. That’s why LCW has to travel the world if he wants those points.

The points from the team events are just nonsense as well. You have to play the dead rubber in the early rounds for the team event. How on earth a win has any value if your team is already 4-0 up in the match? LCW scored 9647 points from the SC, bearing in mind that a SS title only offers 9200 points, and MAS was out at QF! BWF’s message is just turn up and the points are yours.

China to field the two B teams for the preliminary actually did BWF a favour to force them to change the system.

For what’s worth if you take out the team points, Chen Jin is already ahead of P Gade anyway to save all that fuss.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Yoppy, it's ok mate. I'll close an eye just like bwf. ;)

Since 'Asian' games is not important. You guys still treat 'Asian games' a major?? ;) The Chinese don't give a damn anyway, if not, LD and CY/FHF would have played. ;)

5. winnie-kid

winnie-kid Regular Member

college student
    I had read an article about it before. And it said that even though it seemed unfair for other teams as China participated in the quelifying rounds,actually BWF would be happier if more high-level players take part in.So I think this is the reason why BWF have the rules mentioned by Park,as it can encourage participation.What'more, it will not eliminate others' chances for the finals. So~ it's normal and if any other team which is in the same position of China will probably do that too.It's also unfair to criticize China because of jealousy.

6. extremenanopowe

There must be credibility, practical and consistency. ;)

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Maybe you re right. Every team didn't t know this tournament is a 2 in 1 except China and BWF. How come only CHN understand it? Maybe they suggested it to BWF? This reminded me of Singapore politics. When the ruling party sensed that the Opposition were making inroads, they changed the rules of the game. Instead of single seats, group representation became the norm, requiring each party to field group representatives which hindered the Opposition from contesting effectively in too many seats. Who knows they may have borrowed this idea? If CJ cannot be assured of winning the maximum points in the individual BAC, why not guarantee it by lumping the ranking points into the team tournament TC?

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

There is no indication whatsoever, even in the Badminton Asia or BWF website that the Asian qualification tourney is the Asian Team Championships. Unlike the European Team Championships, which has been the case for the Europeans for many many years.

If the Asian tourney is so-called Asian Team Championships, why the Korean girls decide not to join anyway?

The whole thing is simply a ploy by China to lend more credence to their participation in the Asian qualification tourney.

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

It really says a lot about the dire state of international badminton, if China can send there men's team (minus there top MS and MD players) and there women's team (effectively a "B" team as its without the Wangs, and Wang/Yu) and they can still dominate against every other country who has their A teams with them...

10. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

i dun think park is wrong to critise bwf

is it for bwf to set the rules n regulation correct in order not to let any1 go thru such loopholes

11. extremenanopowe

vote park for bwf president...
    ill be his shuttle picker... kekeke.. ;)

12. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

BAC Website is here, BAC did declare clearly that the TUC Asian Preliminary Round 2012 is also the Asian Team Chamionships 2012:

http://www.badmintonasia.org/event_details.aspx?eventID=260

Open DOC or XLS, you can see some words such as Asian Team Championships, very clear. Everyone can find it just carefully.

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

BAC was clearly out to mislead its members, for reasons best known to them. If BAC make such a major change as to have a 2 in 1, it should have been declared clearly and openly on the opening page, not hidden somewhere by opening DOC or XLS(sorry I still couldn't find that page). Read the opening page, inviting its members to TUC Qualifying and it sounds like nothing has changed. Look at Past Results and it shows TUC Qualifying and BAC as separate tournaments. No wonder PJB couldn t understand why TUC Qualifying carry ranking points. ( for the first time?) This is deception of the highest order. Why would BAC cheat its members of the truth about a major shift in combining two previous tournaments into one, is a real mystery. Why is that only China seemed to know it s a 2 in 1, is also a real mystery. Do the rest of BAC members now realise there s not gonna be a BAC individual championship later this year? Money must have been moved around for the extra special deception by BAC.

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

A few things to be clarified here:
    1. The TUC Qualifying tourneys HAVE ALWAYS BEEN points-rewarding (even in Olympics years of 2004, 2008).

2. BUT, it HAS NOT BEEN DESIGNATED as Asian Team Championships for as long as I could remember! For reasons that probably only China (and some of its fans like cxtdyn) knows, it becomes the Asian Team Championships THIS YEAR (even without the participation of Team Korea in the Uber Cup Qualifying)!

3. This was taken from the BAC website itself...again...it's NOT WRITTEN THERE that this Qualifying campaign is the Asian Team Championships:
    http://www.badmintonasia.org/newspage.aspx?newsID=548

A surprise entry to the Thomas Cup draw is China. As host and defending Champion, the Chinese receive automatic admission to the Finals but also enjoy the option to participate in the qualifying rounds if they so wish. A reason why they have decided to be in Macau could be to have the players pick up valuable ranking points.

South Korea on the other hand, as defending champions of the Uber Cup has decided to stay home and prepare for the big crunch, the Finals in May (20-27) in Wuhan, China. The top two nations from each of the four groups in will progress to the second round.

Or...if u refer to the OFFICIAL WEBSITE of the Asian Qualifying Tourney 2012:
    http://www.thomasuberasia2012.com/?mod=news&lang=en

I cannot find any indication whatsoever that this is the Asian Team Championships.

The big banner in the website as well as the Official Presentation Ceremony of the Uber Cup Qualifying Final yesterday only showed these words: "MACAU 2012 THOMAS & UBER CUPS PRELIMINARIES ROUND ASIAN ZONE".

Let's compare this to the European qualifying campaign, where in the official website http://www.eurobadmintonamsterdam.nl/
    2012 European Men & Women Team Championships is stated explicitly!

15. extremenanopowe

Maybe someone can post to the media and also ask the koreans if they knew of this.

Inquiry needs to be made? ;)

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Is this the 2012 Asian Team Championships or not?

I agree with badMania that since it is not explicitly stated, this is not the 2012 Asian Team Championships.

If it is, we would expect to read news articles and comments from players, coaches and national associations mentioning about it.

From the BWF Calender,
    (link: http://www.bwfbadminton.org/tournamentcalendar_event.aspx?id=12587&calendarid=103 ),
    I can only read that there is the 2012 Badminton Asia Championships to be held in the Sichuan Province, China, 17-22 of April.

#56 chris-ccc, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

chris-ccc - the 2012 Badminton Asia Championships (to be held in Sichuan this year) is an INDIVIDUAL TOURNEY, not a team-event tourney. It has always been an annual event involving players from Asian countries.

what cxytdn refer to is an Asian Team Championships. I remember that we used to have one...and according to wikipedia: The event had been played rotated between team and individual competitions before the team event nulled since 1994.

When I read all the news from the BWF website updating the progress of the Thomas/Uber Cup qualifying, once again, there's no reference of the Asian qualification being the Asian Team Championships; whereas, the European qualification is clearly referred to as the European Men & Women's Team Championships.

As pjswift wrote: the phrase "the Asian Team Championships 2012" was hidden and only present in some of the doc and xls files (Note: even the invitation letter to all BAC members did not have that particular phrase)!

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

It s good that Badmania confirmed that TUC Qualifying have always carried ranking points in the past. So why is PJB complaining? As for BAC being on the tournament calendar, we all know that what s scheduled can be cancelled at the last minute? What s not there can also be added at the last minute? Are we talking about BWF, the Badminton Wrecking Federation?

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yes, the TUC qualifying campaign has always been offering ranking pts. BUT, there's so far no winner or host of the TUC Finals who volunteer themselves to play in the Qualifying campaign; until China's decision to field a weakened team to both events this year. This decision must have surprised almost all countries!

And the sole motive is simply to get more ranking pts for Chen Jin and Guo Zhendong/Chai Biao. While Chen Jin's spot is not confirmed yet, he inches closer to Peter Gade after this week.

IF the BWF has a rule in their statutes that DOES NOT ALLOW holders or host nations to join the Qualifying campaign, then, it will be harder for Chen Jin to qualify! That's the thing Park Joo Bong was complaining about...that China will do anything (as long as it's within the bounds) to get as many of its players to the Olympics.

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

But CHN is not wrong in playing Qualifying for reasons we all know. So why is PJB complaining. Is it because this year s Qualifying ranking points is exceptionally generous compared to past years, that s why PJB s not happy?