2013 Yonex CANADA Open GP : Qualification-FINAL (16th-21st July 2013)

Discussion in 'US / Canada Open 2013' started by CLELY, Jul 16, 2013.

1. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
  2. ChoMama

ChoMama Regular Member

The event is set to broadcast on ShawTV (channel 4) sometime this week to next week. I would imagine them playing some part of the incident..

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Shocking and sad, the worst violent incident in badminton history. To think that sporting competition is a way of taking out the violence in competition. I suppose the personal conflict between Bodin and Jongjit was not resolved but left festering until it broke out in a hot-tempered fracas today. Instead of complaining to the umpire when provoked, either one or both lost their senses forgetting they were in full view of the public.

I hope they will quickly realize the enormity of their mistake and the harm done to Thai badminton in particular and come out together to make a public apology, if only to salvage their respective career. I trust the BWF and the TBA will take the appropriate action but not only stop at meting out punishment which is the easy part;let's hope something positive can result from this ugly incident (though I'm not sure how at this moment).

For now, my image of Thai players being ever so polite and respectful to each other and their opponents such as in their palms together greetings and expression of thanks and mutual respect - is temporarily shattered. Anyhow, an isolated incident should be viewed as just that. It's up to the wrongdoers concerned to do the right thing, ultimately; the relevant authority taking disciplinary measure being only the normal expected course of action.

Agree, badminton will from now on cease to be seen as a 'backyard,sissy sport' anymore. Yeah, it's more of a personal issue between the two - something that can happen anywhere,anytime,in any sport; for example, in boxing where Mike Tyson bit Evander Holyfield's ear; in tennis where Monica Seles was stabbed in the back by a spectator; the many soccer brawls involving the players and/or spectators;etc,etc.

4. sen

sen Regular Member

One question, maybe to the referee : what is the reason for punishing Bodin and not Jongjit ?

I am not sure who started the verbal attack first. One thing is Jongjit seems to be the first to hit Bodin with racket, of course it might be defensive because Bodin is the one who come towards him.

Afterthat, obvious that Bodin is the aggresor.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For the WS, I was thinking YipPY might take the title though I like Jindapon too. Perhaps YipPY's jump smash may be lethal but it's becoming a bit too predictable.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Mannepong's verbal attack is just words, whereas Bodin threw chairs, punches, and kicks. Imho Bodin crossed the line. Most likely he'll never represent Thailand again.

And anyways, neither the umpire nor the referee would've understood the Thai insults thrown around, but anyone can recognize who the physical aggressor was in this incident.

#127 visor, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Thai badminton brawl in Vancouver

Published: 22 Jul 2013 at 11.44
    http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/wor...brawl-during-an-international-event-in-canada

Excerpts:

...Reports said Bodin "Art" Issara and Maneepong "A" Jongjit glared at each other and exchanged several heated words as the two teams switched to the opposite side of the court mid-match at the Canada Open 2013 Badminton Men's Double Final.

Art suddenly let go of his racket and chased A into another court. Art threw punches and kicked his former playing partner until coaches and tournament staff intervened. (see video below)

The match official disqualified the two national athletes.

According to medical staff, A received two stitches to his ear.

...Charoen Wattanasin, president of the Badminton Association of Thailand, said he was informed that Art and A were trying to agitate each other throughout the match and they also received a warning from a referee for a verbal exchange.

"Any wrongdoers will be penalised because this may affect other international tournaments," Mr Charoen said. "I've been in the badminton circle for 58 years and I've never seen anything like this. This is very bad."

8. fathonezic

fathonezic Regular Member

Consultant
    so sad,,, so sad,,, so sad,,,,

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm afraid a verbal assault is regarded as less aggressive than a physical one but is just as provocative and offensive, therefore equally guilty especially for having started the altercation though the punishment is less severe. IMHO, both of them should be punished albeit in varying degrees.

10. icey_drone

icey_drone Regular Member

Student
    Waiting for the full video.

Would like to know exactly what they said to each other..

Although I don't know either of them personally, with my experience talking to Maneepong, he seemed like a nice guy. Very polite and didn't seem like a person who would hurt anyone.

So I was surprised when I heard the news... perhaps an issue only they can solve between themselves.

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If you call this game badminton, you expect anything good to come out of it? :)

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Anyone can translate Thai? This was posted on Pakkawat's Instagram page and I presume it regards the incident.

Edit: for some reason, I can't upload the photo from my phone :( but it's on his account if you look.

#133 LD rules!, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  13. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    Was there in person and saw the whole thing.

Actually, after the chair throwing part and whatever the videos ends at, the two get separated for a little bit, but they go for a short round two after. It wasn't at the main arena, but where the training courts are behind the black drapes. I doubt anyone has a video of that because I didn't see any cameras when I was one of the few that saw that...

14. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    and Pakkawat username is?

15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

top_pakkawat is his username

16. Anatta

Anatta Regular Member

“For what that happened today :
    First of all, I and Art (Bodin) have to apologize Thai people for such an incident. I myself and Art
    manly admitted our mistakes. Before the tournament, everybody already knows what the story was.
    It is our side that cannot control emotion. I and Art feel sorry for what that had happened. For
    today incident, we admit our mistake. But .. please also think about what had caused a boy to get
    this mad? Hope everybody could understand me and my brother.”

17. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

I am wondering, was that the first fighting scene in the world of badminton between two players on the court? Not to say LD and LM because LM is not a player.

18. gaylordgoblog

gaylordgoblog New Member

19. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

That wasn't really a proper fight either, that was just an argument and some pushing and shoving. This was a full on (one sided) fist fight.