Indian Badminton League (IBL)

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by depleter, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Frankly, it is no surprise for JS to sing praises of the IBL and Gopi as she is the highest paid women foreign player at $90k with Pune Pistons, second only to SN ($120k) and just ahead of Sindhu ($80). JS earns more than twice as much as international teammates NTM (VIE $44k) and JFN (DEN $35k). Retired TB (DEN) came second highest paid with $30k only among the women internationals.

The better known women Thai players like Nichaon Jindapon and Sapsiree are paid $15k each and the Indonesian men players are also paid about the same, TH ($15K) and MK ($15.5k), both ex-Olympic champions. Even the better known TTY (TPE) is paid only $25k, less than retired TB.

Except for WR1 LCW (highest $135k, probably to make the IBL more marketable commercially) all the other Asian players are paid relatively lower based on their world rankings. Even then, they are paid much less than JS, such as KKK, TBH (both MAS) and HY (HKG), $50k each!

Whereas local player P.Kashyap is paid $75k against only $15k paid to Marc Zweibler (GER), as someone has mentioned a distorted steal.

JS praised the IBL as a "league where teams can bid for players and buy them at an auction" but look at what the league pays to some of the international players, many of whom are auctioned at a lower price than the lower-ranked Indian players! Yes we have been given an explanation on the disparity but if the IBL wants to expand and become more international, it cannot continue to treat the higher-ranked internationals as inferior by paying them lower salaries. Especially when it wants to telecast the series worldwide. This goes against self-worth and meritocrasy!

JS is out of the German national team for personal reasons and is an independent player who will need the financial support of sponsors of various kinds, including the IBL. She is not included in the WC as reported above. So we can understand where she is coming from.

But disparity does exist and until such issues are properly addressed, I'm not sure how the IBL will finally turn out.

#381 Loh, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Excuse me?? Indonesia Superliga is known as we are caring international players...until now..we have 4 foreign teams begging to be invited back for next year Superliga...Tine Baun, LYD, Schenk, Marin, LHI, Sung Ji Hyun plusnsome Chinese players will be in Indonesia Superliga...our hospitality is second to none so far.....hehehe

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Begging to be invited?? Lol.

Is there any transparent system in superliga where players' remuneration is publicly visible and open auction system.?? Top chinese players accepted to participate the superliga??

#383 scorpion1, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    You keep on singing the same lullaby when many members of this BC such as [MENTION=96042]depleter[/MENTION] [MENTION=64347]cobalt[/MENTION] and myself everybody explained clearly about the situation and why they have been paid in such a way etc in many situations in this thread from the starting onwards :D. So.... I request you to look into those paragraphs for your query. ;):D

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Again you got me wrong. :D

I'm responding to the article which you posted when JS say many "good things" about the IBL. She was even reported wrongly as preparing for the WC, giving the impression that she will be a participant.

As I've said, we have been told of the intentional motive behind the disparity in salaries between the locals and foreigners and we have to excuse such shortcomings since the IBL is something new. What I'm saying is that this cannot continue to be the case if the IBL is to become truly international, fair and transparent. :D:D:D

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Do you really think that paying $135,000 to LCW alone could do better in marketing in India??:D Lol. I don't wanna start from the beginning to explain everything here. Let it be. Again the same song..;):rolleyes:

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

Ah but there is another aspect to it.

LCW's presence not only contributes to the marketing effort, especially to the international marketplace, but to help raise local standards and stature!

When Indian fans become more internationalized, they look to bigger names than SN, Sindhu and Kashyap. And if the local heroes cannot deliver in the international stage, how long can the IBL last? :D

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Well get your reporter to add a correction to the article. :)

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    That's not my duty ;) and also he is not 'my' reporter :D. He/she would have posted what Schenk has told them. Not only one article did mention about Juliane's interview. So many articles are there. Hence, no need to worry about it further. As far as i know juliane is training with malaysian WS players as a spare.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

Oh really? JS sang the same "I love IBL" song to many reporters.

You should have chosen the more appropriate and more accurate one! ;):cool::p

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yep. Really. She did sing a song "I love IBL". :D .. Do you have problem with her voice?? ;):D:p

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm not going to be personal about her voice.

I prefer her action on the court, her never-say-die attitude, her physical prowess, etc.

But I know you like her song. ;)

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Am I the only one finding this thread a little surreal now? :D

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

I never post an article without double checking it in multiple newspapers. I have checked the content in more than 5 different articles. And later posted one of it in this thread.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry Mod, but please don't censure.

Scorpion1 will blame it on me. :(

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

How come you posted the one with the wrong info on her WC involvement? :rolleyes:

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It is not surprising that you will find the same article word-for-word in many papers. A large percentage of articles are supplied by news syndicates and news agencies (like PTI in India) and are picked up for publication by the media.

I recently read an article that originated from PTI that had Saina as the silver-medal winner at the Olympics.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I hope this has not raised Indian fans' expectations on SN and the rest of the Indian field!:eek:

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yep. Indirectly she involve in WC by acting as a spare to malaysian WS players in the training..;):p:D.

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Indian Badminton League: Bengaluru venue not ready yet[/h]
    http://www.deccanchronicle.com/1307...adminton-league-bengaluru-venue-not-ready-yet

EXCERPTS:

A city that many world champions call home, yet also one where good sporting facilities are hard to find.
    Barely three weeks before their first Indian Badminton League match in Bengaluru, organisers are still working out the feasibilities of the venue.

The Karnataka Badminton Association’s courts were found not suitable for the event, given the limited seating capacity, parking and security concerns.

The next option was the Sree Kanteerava Indoor Stadium, which will now play host to the inaugural edition of the badminton extravaganza.

One look at the stadium though suggests it is far from being ready to host an event of international standard.

The venue which was last given a major makeover a decade ago, has no air conditioning, is home to a large number of pigeons, not to forget the worn out seats.

The organisers have a uphill task in getting the place in order before the city’s first two league matches on August 24 and 25, besides the second semi-finals on August 29.

So far, the IBL team has paid three visits to the venue, including one on Tuesday, Karnataka B a d m i n t o n Association secretary N.C Sudhir, though is confident that all will be in order before the show begins.

“We will get the stadium on August 20 and will do up the place in time for the event,” he said confidently. The department of youth services and sport has meanwhile begun work on replacing the seats, but the event will have to go on with air conditioners.

The Karnataka Badminton Association's courts were found not suitable for the event, given the limited seating capacity, parking and security concerns. The next option was the Sree Kanteerava Indoor Stadium, which will now play host to the inaugural edition of the badminton extravaganza.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.