Roots of Badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by quacky, Sep 27, 2010.

1. quacky

quacky Regular Member

I just recently watched Play to Win (4 parts on youtube) and heard about Roots of Badminton. I saw 10-15 minute clips of Posture, Footwork, and Hitting Technique. Does anyone know what the other roots are? These are old videos from Coach Lee Jae Bok. I can't seem to find any purchasable copies of his dvd's either. I'm 5 years too late, but maybe someone has a resource to point me to? :D

2. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    1. Attitude
    2. Grip
    3. Posture
    4. Stroke Skills
    5. Footwork

If you want to buy a DVD, you can send Lee an email:

ljbiba@hotmail.com

3. quacky

quacky Regular Member

Thank you, I'll send him an e-mail.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
  5. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Wow he has a new site...

We emailed for 2 or 3 years and I often asked him when he will release new videos on ibbs.tv.

And he did not tell me he has a new site opened :-D

6. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Wow, really expensive I think...

October videos for players: 25 Pounds
    October videos for coaches: 25 Pounds
    October videos "follow coach lee": 25 Pounds

It's much more then 100$ for all videos of october??? From what I've seen you can't buy single videos, only the complete months for players or coaches...

#6 xt6666, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  7. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Got the newsletter today that the new site is online now.

You can find his old videos from ibbs.tv there and also some new free videos.

8. elderplayer

elderplayer Regular Member

Yes it is expensive the way it is set up now. I understand that this may be revised as soon as the programmers can do it. Maybe go back to the IBBS way.

9. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    I asked him if it it possible to buy single videos, but he answered me it is not possible :-(

Really ask me how many persons are willing to spend 100$ per month to buy all videos?!?!?!

10. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Watching training video may help to improve game and they are not cheap

However in your place its still cheaper than coaching.

In fact if you read in bc there are a lot of good stuff and its free!

Just browse through the forum mate!

#10 pBmMalaysia, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  11. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Of course there is free stuff in this forum, but this thread is about Lees videos.

I was willing to spend about perhaps 50$ for some videos, but not 25$ for a bunch of videos when I don't want to watch half of the videos I bought. If I only want to see one single videos I also have to pay 25$, don't think that makes sense. He would have earned more money if you could buy single videos...

12. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I see he has a DVD which is £90 and includes 5 dvds

DVD 1: The Five Most Important Things in Badminton
    DVD 2: Philosophy and Principles
    DVD 3: Badminton Stroke Skills
    DVD 4: Service, Return of Service, Net Deception and Tactics
    VCD 5: Play to Win

Has any1 bought this? Is it any good??

13. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I have bought that set of DVDs, it is an excellent investment. The things he teaches are very simple, but extremely effective. He does not focus TOO much on technique, he shows a lot, ensures you have the correct grip and such but leaves the finer details down to you. He states all the important learning points. The attitude/philosophy/mental ideas from DVD 2 are extremely good.

14. vipjun

vipjun Regular Member

For most people that somewhat just started playing, its hard to watch a video and then emulate what was seen or told to do.

I definitely think its beneficial to watch at least 1 video series, but can't help to think that the information in all of them are pretty similar and pretty basic. Mostly comprising of basic stroke & footwork for various shots. A section on drills / practice, a misc section that comprises of some strategy , doubles & mixed doubles positioning, and equipment etc.

An alternative for that $100 is to spend it on a real life coach that can spot and adjust your mistakes as you play.

#14 vipjun, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  15. quacky

quacky Regular Member

This is my opinion and speculation:

From watching the free videos available, I feel that the videos would be worth it for those that have the money to use on it. It is something you keep and while it is not personal like a coach, the videos have such quality in terms of experience and detail and be useful when you are able to take them into your mental understanding of the game.

It is true that different people learn and develop understanding in different ways. For those who learn through action first then reflection afterward, the videos are not useful until they have experience on the court to the level where each item in the video is applicable in their movements. For those who learn through information dissemination, processing, and interpretation before action, the videos will provide a window of experience that would take years to develop otherwise. For those between these two poles of understanding, having the video and coaching would be well worth the cost if they can afford it. The videos would cost around ~1 month of coaching but used in conjunction with professional coaching, the videos would greatly enhance 3-5 of those months of coaching for these types of learners.

16. vipjun

vipjun Regular Member

I'm not saying video's are not useful, on the contrary i think they are beneficial regardless if you take coaching or what type of learner you are.

My opinion was more that
    After watching about 5 different badminton video series from different producers;some series were 4-5 hrs long while others were 30+ hrs, i concluded that there wasn't any major information that one video series provided that another didn't. The ones i saw on youtube for free didn't provide more or less information than the ones i purchased.

So i do agree on all accounts that

watching a video > not watching any
    however
    watching 2 videos is only slightly more helpful than having only watched one
    and
    free video + $100 coaching > Free video + $100 video

17. quacky

quacky Regular Member

I see what you mean. I only watch short free videos so I found all this information completely new.

18. vipjun

vipjun Regular Member

19. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    watching free video you may learn something

but not everything, certain strokes or the procedures you may be puzzled

or you may even end up learning wrongly.

however watching many free video in the end may compensate for that.

those paid video I am sure have all the steps like preparation stage, execution ....

and it really makes the learning process easier and complete

but they are of course expensive to follow.

to save cost an alternatives is to share the cost! go get or form a group!

finally, hiring a coach, of course its always the easiest of all,

you can ask, discuss, plan ...just about everything ...

at the very end its the players efforts in practicing,

how much you put in is how much you gonna get.

as they say practice makes perfect,

not only watching video and attend coaching sessions!

20. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    It is my experience that people turn to coaching videos for one of two reasons:
    1. They are badminton enthusiasts!
    2. There is something wrong with their strokes and whatever they have read/seen/done so far, is not good enough (or has been misinterpreted/missed some key points etc).

For the number 1s out there, paying for those videos is probably not a great idea - however, it is no possible to watch the videos for about 20 pence each using Lee Jae Boks new "pay per view" system - you buy credits, each credit lets you watch a video. You can watch that video 3-4 times, then you need to repurchase it. Some of the videos are over 15 minutes long. I would consider this a worthy investment if you have £5 spare (which is 20 videos I think...) Lee has some excellent points to make especially regarding his 5 roots of badminton, and what I am most interested in: defending smashes and developing footwork patterns/exercises - defending because its something I have been trying to develop as a player, and footwork because its my focus as a coach (and a player!!!).

For people who are a number 2 type, you are probably looking for a new opinion. I haven't seen anything like what Lee has produced before. His ideas on what makes shots important are quite different to what I have seen elsewhere. However, like vipjun says, there is perhaps not a huge difference there between this and some other instructional videos - although lee focuses a lot less on technique in his videos. Perhaps though, it may be worth paying to see 1 or two videos on his website? The ones on the area you want to know more.

I agree with vipjun that having a real coach is worth an awful lot. But how many lessons does £100 get you? It would get me a maximum of 5. Is this better than having ALL the experience of a world renowned coach in a DVD? Im not sure :) I would definitely reocmmend paying on his website to watch a few videos if you have a little bit of money and a burning desire to know what lee has to say about that topic. You are searching for a NEW answer after all, otherwise you wouldn't be a number 2 :)