Yonex Ti-10 Reviews

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by surge, Mar 7, 2005.

1. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    Ti-10 limited has slightly head heavier than ti-10 purple.

2. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

I am quite interested in the ti10 3rd gen. Love the look of it.

However, the specs seems rather confusing. From reading the thread, the wet bp of this rackets seems to be in the region of 295-300mm. So how come yy class this racket as being head light?

3. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    after you put the grip it will become lesser. I tried to measure the bp of ti-10 purple. Both is 285mm

4. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

Last Wednesday I had an opportunity to test all the Ti10's together. Too bad not all rackets had the same string and tension, but it's all about the differences. It also took so long because I was not satisfied with the first pictures so shooted second ones which were sharper. The testing objects:

Ti10 1st gen\3U-G5\BG85@22LBS
    Ti10 2nd gen\3U-G4\BG68Ti@22LBS
    Ti10 3rd gen\3U-G4\BG85@22LBS
    Ti10 LTD\3U-G4\BG85@23LBS

I also have a 3rd gen, but this was strung with BG66Sharp and it was better to use my brothers racket with the BG85. The pictures I took was my own 3rd gen:

Ti10_01.jpg
    The dimensions were about the same. They look the same except for the paint job.

Ti10_02.jpg
    If you look at the frame, the 1st and 2nd gen are almost the same. The 3rd gen and LTD are the closest.

Ti10_03.jpg
    The thickness of the heads were also the same so no aero or slim head differences here.

Ti10_05.jpg
    Here you can see the different Titanium Meshes on the frame sides. The 1st and 2nd gen looks longer and you can feel the mesh. I doubt if it's real, because on the 3rd gen and LTD, it's smooth and is painted.

Ti10_04.jpg
    A close-up of the main difference on the outside of the frame. The LTD version doesn't have the Titanium Mesh printed on the side of the frame.

Ti10_06.jpg
    Another difference between the 3rd gen and LTD version is the Titanium Mesh Composite printed on the inside of the frame in the 3rd gen which can not be found on the LTD.

Ti10_07.jpg
    I don't have clear pictures of the shaft, but the the 3 generations are different, but the 3rd and LTD versions looks almost the same with some difference in the text.

Ti10_08.jpg
    I did not measure the exact balance point, but can give you an idea what the differences are. The 2nd gen is the most head heavy one followed by the 3rd and LTD edition. The 3rd and LTD editions are the same. The 1st gen is the most light headed of them all, which comes to me as a surprise. I always assumed that the Ti10 1st gen was more even balanced. It can be due to the extra grip I put on to simulate a G4 grip. For some references, the 3rd and LTD versions are about 5 mm head lighter and the 1st gen even 10 mm compared to the 2nd gen! The 1st gen is with no doubt the most flexible one. The other generations are close.

So I started to play with the 1st gen. The first gen has always been one of my favorite rackets. Although the time has come to store this racket because it cannot compete with the stiffness of the modern rackets, it still has decent power. It's so powerfull, that I still cannot believe it's a head light racket. It's fast, and I can attack with it, but also defend with ease. Because of it's flex, it's not as accurate as modern racket. It's fast on the net, but the relatively soft tension of the BG85, made it not as accurate in dropshots. You can feel the flex when you play fast with your wrist.

I had not played a lot with the 2nd gen because when it came out, I didn't found what I was looking for, a better replacement of the Ti10 1st gen. Maybe it's the string, but in terms of power, I could not get the same out of it. It felt stiffer, but at the same time less powerful. I had to work harder to get the shuttle back in the court. The only thing I must admit, is that this is the best looking Ti10 of them all! Too bad we only have one of them in our family, so I don't want to restring this racket.

When I kept playing with the 1st gen and the 3rd gen came out, I had the same feeling about the 3rd gen as the 2nd gen. It felt stiffer, but at the same time less powerful. I thought it had to do with the string, so I restrung mine with BG66Sharp to get more repulsion out of it. But it didn't help.

My brother finds the 2nd gen the most powerful one, but I'll stay with the 1st gen. When there was a LTD version, I kept my fingers crossed, hoping to find a better Ti10 after all these years. I restrung the Ti10LTD with the same string as my beloved 1st gen Ti10, more with the tensions I was playing today. I wanted to string it at 11 kg, but I wouldn't want to risk too much as it was max rated at 9.5 kg. I strung it at 10,5 kg (about 23 LBS).

To be honest, I didn't felt the Ti10LTD was different from the 3rd gen. I really wanted to feel a lot off difference that I even took both rackets in my hand to switch them during some clears, but I couldn't tell which one is which, even with the higher tension on the LTD. I wanted to believe that the LTD version is different based on a Sunrise chart which was posted here recently. If you want my opinion about the difference between the 3rd gen and the LTD, I would say it's only the paintwork...:(

5. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    Im suprised that u found 1st gen was head lighter than the 3rd. I own them, i found the other way round. The stiffness are almost the same.

6. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

I've just picked up a 2nd Gen ti10, am just wondering what is the max tension these rackets can take?

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    If the frame condition is still good. It can take as high as 30Lbs as long as you entrusted it to a good stringer.

8. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

I see, but I generally string my rackets between 25-27lb anyway so I'm assuming that should be alright

9. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    i wanna let go my ti10 gen2..any buyer?

10. jktan1986

jktan1986 New Member

Hi, i just bought my Ti10 Limited Edition today, string 26Ib with BG66 Ultimax 3U4G. My comment for this racket is power in offensive game but bit week in defensive. During smash, the shutter speed is much faster then my old racket(Protect Gen2 Classic 86g+-2, BG66 ultimax 27Ib, high Flex). Regarding defense, this racket may still new to me so not able to do a good control game.

The advice for this racket is if u do not have a strong shoulder and strong arm.... is hard for you to deliver shutter in fast speed and do nice smash..... and it will hurt ur shoulder badly due to STIFF of the shaft...

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I've an original Ti-10 UK Gen-1 2U if anyone is interested?

12. Kingslayer

Kingslayer Regular Member

N/A
    Your post was what convinced me even more to buy a ti-10!! SO excited for it!!!

13. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Best racquet I used so far but too bad it don't last... Has to reduce tension and get a good stringer to reduce damage at frame...

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    It's a fantastic racquet, one of my favourite. If only they made it a bit more even balanced, I could probably still be able to use it with my shoulder problem.

It's not a fragile frame, but you do need a good stringer with a good 6-point machine. Otherwise the frame can crack, as it has on one of mine.

15. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Actually I have noticed that the strings will start cutting into the frame at high tensions after a while. I normally use only about 26lbs on it instead of my usual 28.

16. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    best value(performance) for money racket ard! but has fair share of durability issues.

17. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Absolutely agree, between my double partner and I, we managed to break 7 Ti10 purple in last 6 months.......... sigh, may all of them RIP. (and 2 of them is 2U even)

18. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Ouch!!!

Is that from racket clashes or just your awesome smashes? :)

19. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    CD, among all 7 breakage, only one of them is racquet clash; it was during a heated match of mix doubles. The other 6 are from high string tension and stress.

20. dannyboyyy

dannyboyyy New Member

Student
    3rd 2U vs LTD?

Hi,

I'm trying to choose between a Ti10 3rd in 2U and a Ti10 LTD. I have a Ti10 3rd in 3U and I think it's very suitable for doubles. However, it lacks just a bit of power and weight for offensive play in singles. I like all the remaining aspects of the racket, control, swing, head-shape, etc. So I'm looking for a Ti10 with slightly more weight on it, which brings me down to those two options mentioned above.

I heard that the LTD version is a remake of the legendary Ti10s made back in the 90s, which is head-heavier and more offensive compared to the 3rd gen. I've swung the LTD version (didn't get to hit shuttles) and it did feel pretty close to the previous generation Ti10s. But I have to pay a bit more for the LTD version, which is why I'm also thinking of getting the 3rd 2U.

I wonder whether the 2U version has more weight towards the head or just heavier throughout the racket. If anyone can provide just anything about either of the rackets, please reply.

Thanks Alot!! :)