Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by taufik_lin16, Jul 14, 2006.

1. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

Nope... I bought it from E-Link and arranged myself for the text to be heat-transferred and flag to be sewed on. :)

2. ahren92

ahren92 Regular Member

badminton nerd
    anyone knows why LYD is using the BraveSword 12 instead of his usual BS LYD ?? even KSH is using the BS12..

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    LYD carries different rackets in his bag depending on his form and opponents. KKK/TBH are the fast driving players (as opposed to the power players like the Danes) and he likes to use faster rackets like the BS12 against them.

4. ahren92

ahren92 Regular Member

badminton nerd
    oic, what are the qualities lacking in his BS LYD compared to the BS 12 ?

5. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

The LYD is head-heavier. Which might actually have helped today, seeing the smashing tactic worked much better against the malaysians than any of the other things they tried.

6. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    wow... I don't know professional players do that. I thought they usually stick to one racquet

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

They usually do. Afaik he's been using the BS12 consistently in the last 2 tournaments (DO PSS&FO SS)....perhaps the softer shaft is more to his liking for some reason. Might be a slight injury, might be that he wants easier accessible power....or the control that comes with a bigger racket head :D

Imop the BS12 is a great all-rounder, with lots of speed in front and mid-court play and defense as well as decent power from the back (if used correctly).

#3247 j4ckie, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  8. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Ic Ic... But players like datuklee has been using am900 then vtzf comsistently without fail...

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hm? Yeah, that's what I meant - usually, players use one racket consistently. Sometimes they go for an easier racket if they carry a slight injury (like Lin Dan used the N50/N50II for a while, or JJS the SW37).

10. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

OK, so as a big fan of Korean MD teams, watching LYD/KSH has been extremely frustrating these past two tournaments. How in the world they lost in the first round, is beyond me. Well, no, it's not. They lost because Ko made way too many mistakes.

And likewise, Ko continues to make so many mistakes, that the French Open was precarious. Yes, they won, but they barely made it past KKK/TBH (23-21 in 3rd set of the QF). While Ko's power generates many points won, his numerous silly errors also cost dearly.

I think Heong had the correct analysis and that Shin, at least for the time being, is a far better fit with LYD than is KSH.

11. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

ps. If anyone has a lead with the Korean team coaching staff, please tell them they gotta vary their play more and include more drop shots. As Jill Clark, the BWF commentator, often mentions their single-speed hitting (i.e. hard) makes it very predictable for their opponents to defend against. Variation in pace and target will help them greatly, especially against their strongest opponents.

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Players like JJS once in a while love to do a fake smash aka slice his racket head which makes it a perfect dropshot and often let his opponent stranded. But then, he's retired now. Someone from the KOR team needs to emulate this:cool:

13. rexelus

rexelus Regular Member

People are overrating LYD's defence. He made quite a few errors, but people seem to overlook that since he's so skilled. We can see the new partnership lacks some of the defensive capabilities lost from Chung's departure, but Ko makes up for it with steeper angles and well-placed pushes.

And no, Shin Baek Cheol is not the best partner for LYD. He got carried by Lee Hyo Jung during AG2010 and if you watch the semi and final matches he drags out the games with all of his errors. He only managed to squeeze out a win at Denmark this year with Yoo because the Malaysian's did more to lose the game while they weathered the storm.

SBC is a great player, but I think he should stick with Yoo. They seem to have good chemistry in the partnership and have potential to unseat LYD/KSH.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

No, people are pretty realistic about LYD's defence - if you compare it to how they gush about every other department of his game ;) His defence is very strong and was definitely stronger than Jung's (who rarely used an opportunity to counter-attack but kept lifting away most of the time). Ko's, on the other hand, is not on Jung's level, I agree on that.

I also think that SBC wouldn't be a great partner for LYD. Of course they'd do well since they're both without question world-class doubles players, but he has no outstanding, really dangerous weapon, whereas Ko has (and Jung had as well). Ko has incredible angles on his smashes, and they're very powerful as well. SBC has similar angles as he's rather tall, too, but can't sustain anything near Ko's power for long, and if they want a GREAT pair rather than a pretty good one, they need someone who complements LYD in that aspect (as he can smash pretty powerfully and steeply as well, but can't sustain that kind of game for very long).

A lot of the errors Ko and Lee made in their matches happened because they didn't click immediately. If the pace was high, near their maximum pace, they had no time to think about positioning and choice of shots anymore, and that's when people not used to playing with each other often commit mistakes of a kind (be that a wrong choice of shot, of pace, wrong positioning or an outright error because they were unsure).
    In the end, they seemed to play much better together than they did in earlier matches, with less confusion about who takes which shot and who goes where. They generally followed their instincts (LYD going forward, Ko to the back), but if necessary, Ko committed to the net and Lee stayed at the back for a few consecutive shots, while earlier, they seemed a bit overeager to switch to their favored position (especially Ko).

15. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Biggest problem with Ko is his nervousness. There've been a few moments where LYD has been trying to keep Ko's nerves in check. Hopefully this'll get better with experience, but for the same money, it'll stay that way.

16. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Right, that's why at the current level of play, Ko's fearsome offense is neutralized by his own errors. There's also the psychological effect on everyone else on court by the poor play; growing frustration from Lee/Ko, and growing confidence for the opponents.

As astute viewers would have noticed, the opponents were focusing their attacks on Ko, just as Boe and Fu are usually targetted. It then causes LYD to try to do more.

I do wish the video of the French Open SF between the two korean teams was available in decent quality. The one on youtube (and the same vid on a korean site) has low res and weird accelerated motion.

17. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    I think we should give them some time!!! I believe they can get where JJS/LYD have been. Ko needs to get cooler on court. But once again, the same with Ha Jung Eun, it´s a high burdon to play with LYD, everyone focuses on Yong Dae´s partner and therefore more wins will gain them more confidence, esp. Ko. What I´ve seen from the FO is that Ko was trying to play the perfect shots and sometimes they went for the same shot as I believe both have been the more creative part in their previous partnerships. When Ko made errors he always looked like he was apologizing to LYD.
    But as I said I wouldn´t wonder if they can get the pair to watch out for in the future when they get more used to each other.

3 worldclass pairs from Korea, I love it. Hope to see many clashes between them and KKK/TBH and BI/MJ. Only problem is as long as KSH/LYD and SBS/YYS have less ranking points they meet stronger pairs earlier, which won´t be shown on bw.tv. :/
    Exciting stuff!! Great rallies!! to look forward imo.

18. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

No doubt they'll mesh better with time; and I would be surprised if Ko doesn't surpass JJS in offensiveness. By sheer height he has an advantage and I suspect his smashes are already at least equivalent to JJS. Hopefully, he will learn to be better focused and relaxed in tough matches.

Not sure why you think Ko was "more creative" than Yoo. My observations are the opposite.

I agree on paper that Ko's strong offense would be a better complement than another all-rounder like Yoo, Shin or Kim sa-rang. But for a devoted fan rooting for the (arguably) "top" korean pair, it's a tough journey.

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  20. ah tat

ah tat Regular Member

student