Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/2/26/sports/8143571&sec=sports

Nicol, Chong Wei and Azizulhasni lead charge for SAM award

KUALA LUMPUR: Five-time world squash champion Nicol David, world number one shuttler Lee Chong Wei and cycling ace Azizulhasni Awang are the frontrunners for the 2010 PLUS-Sportswriters Association of Malaysia (SAM) award.

The trio are among the five nominees for the prestigious award along with diver Pandalela Rinong and shooter Nur Suryani Taibi. The winner, who will take home RM10,000 and a trophy, will be announced at the Saujana Golf and Country Club on March 6.

Nicol ruled supreme in world squash and stayed unbeaten last year. The Penangite won nine Women’s International Squash Players Association (Wispa) tournament titles and clinched a record equalling fifth world crown. She was also crowned WISPA Player of the Year for the sixth consecutive time.

The other four nominees are also in with a shout for the award, having created records of sorts in Malaysian sports.

Pandelela created history when she won Malaysia’s first-ever diving gold medal at the Commonwealth Games. She defeated several top divers to win the women’s 10m platform gold.

As for Nur Suryani, she delivered a gold and a bronze in the Commonwealth Games. She scored 496.9 points to finish third in the women’s 10m air rifle individual event. She then partnered

Nur Ayuni Halim to win the 10m rifle pairs gold. It was only the second time in the history of the Games that Malaysia struck gold in the shooting event. To cap off a wonderful year, Nur Suryani also won a bronze in the 10m air rifle event to become the first-ever Malaysian female shooter to win a shooting medal in the Asian Games.

Azizulhasni, who won the 2009 100PLUS-SAM award, ended Malaysia’s 40-year gold drought in the Asian Games when he emerged champion in the keirin event. The Terengganu rider was also crowned the overall keirin winner in the World Cup.

Chong Wei, on the other hand, continued his dominance in world badminton, winning 10 out of the 12 Open tournaments he competed in 2010.

Besides retaining the Commonwealth Games team and individual gold medals, Chong Wei also triumphed in eight international tournaments, including six Super Series titles in Hong Kong, South Korea, Malaysia, Switzerland, Indonesia and Japan. He also bagged the GP Gold titles in Malaysia and Macau and was an individual silver medallist in the Asian Games.

Meanwhile, a new award - the Most Promising Athlete – is also up for grabs with the winner taking home RM3,000 and a trophy.

2. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    My gut feeling is LCW will not win.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Five-time world squash champion Nicol David will win it

Same here. I think five-time world squash champion, Nicol David, will win the 2010 PLUS-Sportswriters Association of Malaysia (SAM) award.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Me too.

Yeah, she is more deserving.

5. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

It could be Azizul Hasni, for winning the 1st AG gold in track cycling, but definitely not LCW

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    He shd have played in GO to warm up for AE. ;) Its ok to loose. ;)

7. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/0le_df_/Article

Danger for Chong Wei

ALL eyes are on the possible final showdown between Lee Chong Wei and Olympic champion Lin Dan of China in the All England but there will be some early round matches that the Malaysian cannot take for granted.
    National singles assistant coach Tey Siu Bock, who has been guiding Chong Wei in the absence of Misbun Sidek, said the World No 1 has some potentially tough matches in the Premier Super Series event on Mar 8-13, including the second round against Bao Chunlai of China.

Chunlai used to be Chong Wei's whipping boy but the former world junior champion delivered a blow in the 2006 World Championships by eliminating the Malaysian in the last eight and followed up the feat in the 2007 Malaysia Open.

Chunlai will play Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia in the first round but the latter's appearance in the All England is in doubt as he has not recovered from a back injury and didn't play in last week's Indonesian professional league.

They haven't played each other for a while now and although Chunlai is not the force he once was, Siu Bock said he still needs to be treated with respect.

Chong Wei will open his campaign against the hardworking Sho Sasaki of Japan and should he overcome Chunlai, he will play either Simon Santoso of Indonesia or Thailand's Boonsak Ponsana in the last eight.

"Simon has been showing steady progress while Boonsak is experienced. The quarter-final stage is where plenty of upsets take place in the All England and Chong Wei will have to be at his best.

"There is no assurance that Lin Dan will be in the final in Birmingham as he is also playing in the ongoing German Open.

"The last two weeks have been hectic for Chong Wei as he played in the National Grand Prix Finals and also the Indonesian league but he has also been preparing well in between these events. He is in good condition to do well in Birmingham."

Chong Wei's likely semi-final opponent will be either Chen Long of China or Denmark Peter Gade Christensen.

Lin Dan has an easy run to the final as his only tough match is expected to be in the last four where is likely to meet either compatriot Chen Jin or Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia.

8. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I picked Simon to be the spoiler... he has been playing very well... lost in a closed rubber games to LD in Korea SS...

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/3/7/sports/8204094&sec=sports

Seu Bock relishes task to guide Chong Wei

PETALING JAYA: Tey Seu Bock has always been in the shadows when it comes to coaching.

But now that he has been trusted with a big responsibility to guide world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, the soft-spoken Seu Bock is ready to step up – especially in helping his charge to retain the title at the All-England, which begins on Wednesday in Birmingham.

The 38-year-old Seu Bock has been coaching Chong Wei for more than two months following the resignation of Misbun Sidek on Dec 31.

Misbun has yet to return even though there were positive indications that he would resume duties.

It is unsure when he would make up his mind on his future with the team and when he returns, whether he will continue coaching Chong Wei or some juniors in the national team.

Even Chong Wei, who was once quite uptight about the whole matter, had now resigned to the fact that life has to go on.

Seu Bock, who left with the team on Saturday, said that he was ready to play his part.

“I do not see myself as a replacement for Misbun. For now, Chong Wei needs a coach and Misbun needs a break and I am here to help. Both Chong Wei and I have an obligation to achieve good results for the country and that is our focus,” he said.

Of course, there will be pressure on myself. Misbun is a coach of calibre and has taken care of everything concerning Chong Wei. It is a big challenge for me but I am here to give my best support to him (Chong Wei).”

10. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/ojkpkopem_ew-2/Article

Badminton: Chong Wei to continue training with BAM

BA of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Salleh has been assured by Lee Chong Wei that the World No 1 is willing to continue training even if Misbun Sidek does not return as national singles coach.

Nadzmi, speaking during the Sportswriters Association of Malaysia (SAM) awards in Subang Jaya yesterday, said he had spoken to Chong Wei and was confident the shuttler would continue to give his best.

"I met with Chong Wei and he is optimistic he can continue performing for the next two years should there be a situation where Misbun doesn't return to BAM," said Nadzmi.

"Chong Wei has stated he has no problem to continue training under the current set-up.

"At the same time, I have also asked Misbun to speak to my officials and I will brief the council on the issue."

Chong Wei has been training under assistant coach Tey Siu Bock in Misbun's absence and the arrangement is likely to continue.

Misbun has not made a decision on his future with BAM and has until the end of this month to do so before the BAM council meets on April 1.

11. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    Kudos to Tey Seu Bock for saying what he said.
    Life has to go on and it is hoped that all ends well for the good of Malaysian badminton.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The BAM council meets on April 1, 2011

I am laughing at this; Why? Because it looks like the BAM council is now focusing on how their organisation is run. People (players/coaches/members/etc, etc, ...) can wait.

13. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Tsb is a good guy don't worry :D

Even though I got introduced to him and met him only once,

I can see this guy is that kind of down to earth type when it comes to delivering his charges :)

similar to the Chinese say working ox, non stop until it's done type :)

14. extremenanopowe

If lcw does well, all is well. If lcw looses in early rounds. how? ;) What do you reckon? ;)

15. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Maybe 2 possibilities here if lcw lost,

Either the press will look for an excuse and misbun's name would pop up once again

and the saga continues again ..

Or lcw will speaks up again he needs misbun by his side :D

16. extremenanopowe

so. who prefer lcw to loose? Who want him to win? ;)

LD and CJ still looks good. I think lcw may 'purposely' loose early. lol. ;)

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BAM to press LCW-vs-LCW to press BAM

Hahaha... If I were LCW, I would speak up again - to have Misbun at court-side.

This would reverse the pressure (BAM to press LCW-vs-LCW to press BAM). :D:D:D

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Or Taufik could share Mulyo with him for a year, until OG2012.

19. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    I believe that TH, being a good friend of LCW's, would share some tips with LCW on how to beat LD at the 2011 AE, should LCW and LD meet in the tournament.
    LCW did TH a favor by joining TH's club and played in the recent INA league and TH's club won the league's men's team title.
    Maybe Li Mao would also whisper some useful information should all his charges drop out early; LM just does not have any respect for LD. He called LD 'names' after the melee at the 2008 Korean Open MS title match between LD and LHI.

20. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/3/8/sports/8210528&sec=sports

Sportsman, Sportswoman of the Year award will have stiff competitions

KUALA LUMPUR: The competition for the National Sportsman and Sportswoman award is getting tougher by the year.

And with an improved number of athletes breaking the barriers at the Commonwealth and Asian Games last year, expect a tough call to name the winners for the National Sports Council’s (NSC) annual awards on March 15.

Yesterday, the selection panel reduced the number of nominees and in the men’s category, 11 athletes will vie for the award.

They are Lee Chong Wei (badminton), Mohd Azizulhasni Awang (cycling), Sazali Samad (bodybuilding), Norshahrul Idlan Talaha (football), Alex Liew (bowling), Mohd Qabil Ambak Mahamad Fathil (equestrian), S. Kumar (hockey), R. Puvaneswaren (karate), Daniel Bego (swimming), Bryan Nickson (diving) and Azlan Iskandar (squash).

A close contest is expected between All-England champion Chong Wei and World Cup winner Azizul for making waves on the international stage.

The two heavyweights will be strongly challenged by Alex, Puvaneswaren and Azlan, who achieved excellent results in the Asian Games.

Norshahrul has also played an instrumental role in the national football team, who gained some measure of respect for their exploits in several international tournaments.