Fixed clamps - HELP!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by vudoo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. vudoo

vudoo Regular Member

Hi BC folks,

I have a Gamma 6004 crank machine and my fixed swivel clamps have a flat spinning dial to adjust the tightness of the gripper. I'm always having to adjust the tightness of my fixed clamp when I string using different string gauges. Is there a general guideline as to how tight the clamp should be for various string thicknesses or is there a way to calibrate (ballpark) how tight the clamp should be?

I'm always in fear that if it's too loose, the strings will slide through the clamp and shred... too tight and it will crush the strings and will cause the durability to go down (especially when I clamp near the frame on players who mishit often). What method do you use to adjust the clamp to the right string?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    use a piece of scrap string and then experiment. clamp one side with the fixed clamp, then pull the other side with the tensioner. get to the point that it doesn't slip, and then add a slightly bit more tightness.

3. vudoo

vudoo Regular Member

That's pretty simple enough.
    Thank you, Kwun! Been a big fan of your reviews, please keep it up =)

#3 vudoo, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  4. lightandtangy

lightandtangy Regular Member

anything
    KWUN

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! I dont know how tight the clamp should be !

SO! i was hoping if you can do a QUICK video! just to demonstrate, as i believe this is a PROBLEM MANY new stringers will encounter! (just a video around 1 minute-3 minute long)

PLEASE KWUN!

All your videos have been very informative and this will add to the collection!

5. vudoo

vudoo Regular Member

Kwun, I tried your method yesterday and it worked great... I used a sharpie on my dial to mark for various string gauges as I do both tennis and badminton stringing =)

lightandtangy, you are definitely right; this problem has haunted stringers so much that we often go back to stringing via flying clamps only. Plus, if there's a video to be made for anything badminton, I bet Kwun's the first person people go to... and for good reason!