Zulfadli Zulkifli

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Dec 18, 2010.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the training he can get and facility is better,but worst management compare to now
    so i suggest he can join bam for training,but not to under bam,just like how rexy let gan/tan,chong/lee train with the md

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Other countries will also look after their own national interest

You are thinking of receiving training from coaches from National Associations. I am not thinking of it this way. One can train with professional coaches not under the umbrella of National Associations. To name a few, we have Zhao JinHua, Mulyo Handoyo, Misbun Sidek, etc, etc......

Zulfadli can even come to Australia to train under me. ;););)

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    he can play for usa,no worry,haha

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I hope the foreign coaches and their respective "bosses", if any, will agree with you.

Please specify your "credentials" so that ZZ will be more than confident to train under you rather than his own ex-Thomas cupper dad. :D

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Mr Lim, you will then have to produce a replacement for ZZ. :eek:

6. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

Hmm..ex 80's Thomas Cupper by the name of Zulkifli Sidek??? I don't recall anyone of that name except for the Sidek brothers (Misbun Rashid, Razif, Jalani, Rahman), Foo Kok Keong, Ong Beng Teong, Ong Ewe Chye..
    Can anyone enlighten???

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

Perhaps the following post by ixory can shed some light, but no mention of his dad being an ex-Thomas cupper. Maybe he was a reserve but during which particular year?

09-10-2007 11:02 AM #117 ixory

right now i'm eyeing Zulfadli Zulkifli,Mas Junior.Heard he is a good player.

some info about him..

Date of Birth :11 February 1993
    Place of Birth :L.A California,US.
    Father :Zulkifli Sidek
    Mother :Hanny Pranatyo

(Zulfadli's father Zulkifli Sidek is a former three-time Johor state champion and also worked as a coach at the United States Olympic training centres in Marquette, Michigan (1989-1991) and Los Angeles (1991-1992)

while his mother Hanny Pranatyo, an Indonesian by birth, was also an active badminton player in her country during junior days. )

Fav player :Taufik Hidayat.(he really takes TH as his inspiration,he want to be in national senior player by the time he reach 16,just like TH,he said if TH can do it also not possible for him to achieved it,..huh such a big confident for small boy,let see if he can do it...)

local achievement

champion MSSM MS 2004-2007
    champion MSSM MD 2003-2005
    champion U12 GP 2003-2005
    champion National Junior Circuit (U14BS )Grand Final 2007
    champion MS division 2 Kedah Open 2007

International achievement
    MD and MS winner (U-13)in International Youth Championship in Malmo Sweeden 2005
    U-12 champion in the Luster International Open 2005 in Sungai Petani.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

• Time for dad to let Zulfadli go

New Straits Times

2011/07/10

By K.M. Boopathy

[​IMG]
      Zulfadli Zulkifli (right) and his father Zulkifli Sidek in a file picture from 2009.

WINNING the Asian Junior title proves beyond all doubt what a special talent Zulfadli Zulkifli is, and underlines the fact that the time is ripe for him to join the national back-up squad and gain international stardom sooner than later. But Zulfadli's father Zulkifli Sidek has brushed aside numerous offers from the BA of Malaysia (BAM) to allow his 19-year-old son join the national side and be put under coach Hendrawan.

Zulkifli has done everything possible as a father but Zulfadli needs the support system enjoyed by other national back-up players in order to become a world class shuttler.

He had already become the leading Under-18 player two years ago but shuttlers like Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin, Syawal Ismail and Ramdan Misbun Ramdan have overshadowed him as they moved into the national side and are reaping the benefits available, especially the sports science services.

Physical fitness and endurance are the areas curtailing Zulfadli's progress and this is something Zulkifli cannot overcome if he hangs on to his son.

Even winning the World Junior title in Taipei in November will be difficult for him due to the presence of defending champion Viktor Axelson of Denmark but improving on his physical strength quickly will help Zulfadli.

Hendrawan has been known for his excellent work with young players and Zulfadli will be able to overtake all challengers in the back-up squad in six months or less except for Arif Latif and Goh Soon Huat.

If there is a player who can emulate Lee Chong Wei's feats, it must be Zulfadli but he must first be given the chance. As such, much will depend on what his father decides from now.

Junior doubles coach Yap Kim Hock has done wonders in grooming quality juniors and although Nelson Heg-Teo Ee Yi slipped in the Asian Juniors, they should be able to make amends in the World Juniors.

Pressure could have got the better of the Malaysian pair after compatriots Low Juan Shen-Jagdish Singh and Tai Anh Kang-Sant Enos Jani were early casualties but Nelson-Ee Yi have the ability to recover and continue Malaysia's tradition in the World Juniors.

Chow Mei Kuan-Lee Meng Yean, despite finishing runners-up in the girls' doubles, have also shown a marked improvement and they are the future of women's doubles with Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui in the twilight of their playing careers.

With the right nurturing and exposure, there is little doubt they can become a quality pair.

Read more: Time for dad to let Zulfadli go http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/42murureviu/Article/#ixzz1RxpwA25D

#108 Loh, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  9. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Zulfadli just had a surprisingly simple 21-9; 21-13 win over former AJC and WJC runner-up Iskandar Zulkarnain. Not too sure what happened to Iskandar.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well, it goes to prove that ZZ is really talented!

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Zulfadli Zulkifli targets Kedah Open after winning the Asian Junior Badminton Champio

Posted By: Sam Willis

http://blogs.bettor.com/Zulfadli-Zu...an-Junior-Badminton-Championships-2011-a82446

After winning the Boy’s Singles title in last week’s Asian Junior Badminton Championships 2011, Malaysian shuttler, Zulfadli Zulkifli’s next target is to display a good performance at the Kedah Open 2011. Kedah Open will kick-off in Alor Setar, Malaysia, from July 13.

Zulfadli, who has attained the honour of becoming the first Boy’s Singles shuttler in Malaysia who has won the Asian Junior title, is also the undisputed top seed of Malaysia in the junior’s category. The 18-year-old Zulfadli has been training hard under the patronage of his father, Zulkifli Sidek, who is also his personal coach.

While talking about his feelings after winning at the Asian Junior Championships, Zulfadli said, “I’m very happy to have won because it was my last year as a junior and to create history for Malaysia makes it even sweeter. However I plan to stay focused and not get carried away because this is only the start.”

The Malaysian cordially appreciated his sponsors including KLRC and Ashaway for being supportive to him. He also thanked the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) and National Sports Council for sending him to the Asian Junior Championships. Now, Zulfadli will focus on the upcoming Kedah Open, which is an important event for him.

Zulfadli said, “Next on my agenda will be the Kedah Open but I do not have a specific target because I am quite tired after the hectic schedule. But I will be giving it my best nonetheless.”

In the Men’s Singles opening round of the Kedah Open, Zulfadli will play against Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin, who is one of the most talented shuttlers of Malaysia. If he manages to win the opening round, then he will be playing against the most experienced shuttler, Hafiz Muhammad Hashim in the following round of the event.

If Zulfadli passes the hurdle of the second round, he is expected to meet Mohd Arif Abdul Latif in the Men’s Singles quarter-finals. Arif is one of the emerging shuttlers in Malaysia, who is a future hope for BAM in the category of Men’s Singles. Now, Zulfadli has to prove his skills against national shuttlers, who are quite experienced in the game.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Young shuttler sweats it out

The Star
    Friday October 26, 2007 [h=2]By NG WEI LOON[/h]

Now this must be ZZ's younger brother:

AFTER bagging two major agegroup doubles titles in the boys' Under-12 category this season, budding shuttler Zulhelmi Zulkifli is setting his sights on winning honours in the singles event next season.

This year, the SK Damansara Utama Year Five pupil forged the partnership with his Selangor team mate Soong Joo Ven, 12.
    They emerged as champions at the Malaysia Schools Sports Council (MSSM) Badminton Championships and the National Junior Circuit Grand Prix Finals. [TABLE="align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Overhead: Zulhelmi stretching to retrieve a shot.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

“Now, I am working to be in better physical condition for the singles event. I want to emulate my eldest brother Zulfadli's recent success in the national circuit,” said Zulhelmi, 11.

In September, the 14-year-old Zulfadli from SM Damansara Utama, took the Division Two (Under-21) title at the Kedah Open and earned his berth to compete in the National Grand Prix Finals against more illustrious national shuttling icons next year.

But, Zulhelmi realised that he has to reduce his current body weight of 60kg to improve on his movement around the court for the singles event.

“Previously, I weigh at 65kg. I lost 5kg over the Puasa month,” added Zulhelmi, who was the Selangor boys' Under-10 champion in 2005.

Besides training under the tutelage of his father Zulkifli Sidek everyday, Zulhelmi and his two other siblings – Zulfadli and Zulfaiz, 13 – also train under the Selangor Badminton Association programme on Friday afternoon.

Zulkifli, the US Olympic badminton team coach from 1990 to 1992 said it is only natural that his children are keen in badminton because of his involvement in the game.

Currently, Zulhelmi is also under supervision of Selangor's Under-12 coach Abdul Halim Abu Bakar.

Zulkifli was also the Johor champion in 1988 added Zulhelmi's forte in his game lies in his strength.

“He has the power. His smashes are quite strong. He can also retrieve the shots using his backhand. Now, he needs to trim down on his weight for better mobility on the court because he has been putting on weight over the last two years,” he said.

Last year, Zulhelmi also finished third in boys' Under-12 doubles pairing up with his southpaw brother Zulfaiz at National Junior Circuit Zone B second leg.

In addition, he also took the third spot in the boys' Under-11 singles at Singapore Cheers Youth International after losing to the eventual winner from Indonesia in the semi-final.

Although their parents are supportive of the siblings' desire to make the grade the game, their Indonesian mother Hanny Pranatyo said that education is still the main priority.

“We want them to be successful. For them to pursue their dreams in the game, we spend substantial amount of money for their training and competitions. We have been travelling as a family whenever they feature in local and international competitions. Regardless of the achievements, we try to devote equal attention to them without favouritism. But, we will not allow them to neglect their studies. It is important that they have a solid foundation to fall back on after their playing careers,” added Hanny, 44, who represented Jakarta in badminton.

For more international exposure, Zulkifli is hoping to raise enough funds for his children to compete in the US Badminton Development Foundation (USBDF) Winter Junior International tournament in California scheduled from Dec 7 to 9.

ZULHELMI ZULKIFLI

School: SK Damansara Utama
    Height: 1.65m
    Weight: 60kg
    Favourite Shuttler: Taufik Hidayat (Indonesia)
    Favourite Food: KFC and McDonalds
    Favourite Pastime: Watching football
    Favourite Hangout: Badminton court
    Ambition: Doctor

ACHIEVEMENTS

(2005
    )– Selangor boys' Under-10 singles champion

(2006)
    – National Junior Circuit Zone B second leg boys' Under-12 doubles third
    – Singapore Cheers Youth International boys' Under-11 singles third

(2007)
    – MSSM boys' Under-12 doubles champion
    – National Junior Circuit Zone A second leg boys' Under-12 doubles runner-up – National Junior Circuit Grand Prix Finals boys' Under-12 singles quarter-final and doubles champion

Attached Files:

• ZZ.jpg
      ZZ.jpg
      File size:
      17.1 KB
      Views:
    #112 Loh, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Young shuttler sweats it out

Sorry, double posting.

Attached Files:

• ZZ.jpg
      ZZ.jpg
      File size:
      17.1 KB
      Views:
    #113 Loh, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  14. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Not too sure about Zuhelmi yet. Zulfaiz doesn't seem to impressive to me. Zulfadli has the best results at the young age ;) Exceptional one I think.

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Hanny is Indonesian so can her 4 ZZs play for Indonesia?;) Secondly, their last name is Sidek so the Sidek tradition carry on....:D

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    he cant play for indonesia(mother side),just like lee chong wei cant play for china(grand grand mother side),lol
    congrats for him to beat iskandar,intelligently haha

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..as was mentioned in last yr's WJC, after chatting with his dad, actually a couple of the U.S. Players (e.g.Howard Bach) had asked his dad (when they met them in past tourneys in M'sia) if ZZ is willing to play for the U.S. team, since ZZ a U.S. citizen..

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I am all for players and coaches in Badminton who have become independent

I am all for players and coaches in Badminton who have become independent; like players and coaches in Tennis, Soccer, Cycling, and many other sports.

We usually see that National Associations paying more attention to team performance, and less attention to individual performance.

It's about time for Badminton to credit individual players/coaches.

Groups of teammates from different National Associations can organise themselves for inter-nation matches; like the Thomas, Uber and Sudirman Cups. But when it comes to Open Tournaments and/or Individual Championships, we shouldn't allow National Associations to control individual participants.

#118 chris-ccc, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Actually I look forward to the day when badminton players are able to grow to become independent like so many from tennis. It means they have come of age and can handle most of the things themselves.

#119 Loh, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    lol,since bam cant as arrogant in handling md independent player(they thought they have better stand)
    i believe they will treat zul better since bam desperately need someone to shine in ms
    that is the real face of bam