Badminton in northern san francisco?

Discussion in 'USA West' started by junwei992, Mar 25, 2010.

1. junwei992

junwei992 New Member

hey all, ill be moving to sf soon, this fall and im wondering if there are any clubs close to the northern part of sf? i see the BBC is very popular, but it looks pretty far from the chinatown area...
    anyone know how long it takes by whatever from chinatown to BBC? Any recommendations on clubs etc? i play for school atm, so im hoping to join a club got a little competitive play

cheers :)

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

You have 3 options by the time you start in the fall. You could either go to GGBC2 in Emeryville, BBA4 in South SF, or BBC2 in South SF.

3. junwei992

junwei992 New Member

ah thanks, but fo you know how long it takes from the northern part (chinatown eg) to those places? are there like, trains or under ground trains? (called mrt in singapore :S)

4. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Public transportation for either would take nearly one hour. You have bart (sorta like underground trains) or bus to choose from. By car it will take about 20 minutes.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..you've somewhat chosen a city similar to S'pore in terms of having public transportation; or almost similar. If you'll be living in & around SF area, it has a pretty good transportation system (not as good as in S'pore of course). However, you'll realize pretty soon you'll need your own transportation (car or motorcycle) to get around, esp. if you want to go & play outside of the S.F. area.:p

6. paulierand

paulierand Regular Member

hi junwei992,
    i live in SF. in chinatown's rec center they have badminton nights.
    check out sf park's recreation centers they have badminton nights.

Bin Tang is the biggest thing to hit our area. Call them, talk to Stella or Phu and beg... BEG them to give you the 200 per year membership deal for their grand opening. (this deal already passed.) they are opening in the third week of June. search for them. BART will go there. but yeah, you need a car.

7. cybergirl

cybergirl Regular Member

yes, i heard this 200/yr membership promotion is already ended and too bad I don't know the owner or else I'll surely to beg them to give me this offer.

8. EBManagement

EBManagement Regular Member

Eastbay Badminton Association would be the closest badminton club located in Emeryville. If you can give us a time when you plan to come, we can introduce you to our facility, staff, and members. Thanks!

9. keesh

keesh Regular Member

This might be a late reply. I live in Russian hill/Nob Hill (close to chinatown) and it takes me ~20 mins driving from my house to BBC1 in Milbrae. Same thing to EBA (in Emeryville), except that you would have to pay for bridge toll. If you are taking Bart (underground transit), any of those two locations are pretty convenience. BBC2 (in South SF) is small and you wouldn't see a crowd. Bintang4 (in South SF) is newly opened and they do have a lot of people playing at night. EBA definitely has a friendlier environment if that makes into your considerations.

10. keesh

keesh Regular Member

I used to go to Chinatown rec center's badminton nights on Thursdays and know the director and coordinator personally. SF Park's and Rec has changed their systems. Now you will have to register online and you must show up, otherwise your name will be cross-listed. If you go there now, they have mostly retired elders and not competitive or young badminton players.

Just wanted to give it an update for those who do not know the recent policies.

11. EBManagement

EBManagement Regular Member

Thank you for such wonderful praise. EBA is dedicated to being one of the most open and friendly environments you can find at a club. Not only are the EBA staff here to help, but our members and players are some of the best in terms of friendliness and caring. If you come yourself, feel free to let us know. We will partner you up with someone to play with. You will never be left standing alone.

EBA Management

12. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    Prolly will be seeing you at EBA! (or already have, since you posted this back in March) lol