Behold the POWER BULGE grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Easy Tiger, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    Anyone else do this or is it just me? :cool:

I've taken the factory grip off, added a small section of overgrip in the centre of the handle, and then put a Karakal U Super over the lot.

Ergononic r-e-v-e-l-a-t-i-o-n.

I'm even considering making an injection molded Kraton rubber tapered tube that you can put on and then wrap over the top.

Attached Files:

2. Karakalkat

Karakalkat Regular Member

Distributor for Karakal
    There is much easier way to make bulge....simply over wrap very close together in the area you want larger and then taper out by overlapping farther apart...I used to do this at the top (doubles) close to the shaft to make it same size as lower part of grip...
    The problem is that it interfered with changing hand position quickly...
    This bulge works for singles players but not so good for doubles...

3. Easy Tiger

Bum
    Meh, works great for me for both, no problems moving my hand around for various shots.

Biggest improvement for me is the accuracy of my overhead shots has improved with this grip [drives, smashes] because I have a more positive grip on the handle.

I say give it a go!

4. y_o_n_e_x_m_a_n

y_o_n_e_x_m_a_n Regular Member

you put on the grip yourself ?

man, you sure know how to put on a grip, the finishing is so nice :D

5. Karakalkat

Distributor for Karakal
    Tip for putting on grips...
    Pre wrap (before you pull off the protective cover on the tape) and cut off the excess from the square end...

Now start wrapping from the square end, NOT from the end that says START...
    This way You will have a nice tapered end for the finish......

Another thing is the more you over lap the grip the fatter it is....
    If you want thinner handle size stretch the grip while putting it on and do not over lap it....

6. Easy Tiger

Bum
    please, I don't need instructions on how to put grip on.

Go critique Taufik.

7. Jaireh

Jaireh Regular Member

None
    sorry if I'm in the slow side, but what do you mean with "more positive grip on the handle"?

8. Easy Tiger

Bum
    When you grip something, the effectiveness of how you grip it is how much of the surface area of your palm is able to exert an even force on the grip. When you make a fist, the interior of your hand is not a tube or a hexagon, so therefore pressure on the grip will not be even.

I find that the slight bulge in the middle helps me with control - especially in drives and smashes - because I'm not just relying on primarily my fingers to give me directional and rotational stability of the racket.

It doesn't effect changes in hand position either. I can still just as easily move my hand down for serves or use more of a fingers grip for defensive net play.

9. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I do something similar but my "bulge" is on the entire higher half of the grip. So I get a thinner grip at the bottom for better power and full swings (near base), and a fatter upper half for better control shots and tighter flicks (everywhere else).

Like you, my bulge is created with a layer of used overgrip under my overgrip. This has the advantage of
    1. better standardisation whenever the overgrip is changed;
    2. allow the overgrip to actually reach over the cone (my pref). You are using karakal so you have enough length anyway; and
    3. looks neater with a uniform overlap across the entire handle.
    I play almost entirely doubles.

10. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Easy, Tiger.

11. Karakalkat

Distributor for Karakal
    You gotta big chip on your shoulder or what...My reply was to Yonexman and to the many people who dont have a clue how to put on a grip...only meant as a helpful tip...
    Sorry if I offended you because your grip looks professionally done...:D

12. Easy Tiger

Bum
    I don't have a chip on my shoulder AT ALL.

What I do have an issue with is you mistaking this thread for a "How to wrap your grip like me in case it was too much of a mental challenge for you" thread.

And I reiterate to the resident smart-arses - Would you tell Taufik or LD that their wraping style was not up to your 'professional' level of aesthetics or neatness or whatever. No, you wouldn't. So you can extend me the same courtesy.

If you want to start up your own "how to wrap your grip like a 'pro' ", be my guest.

#12 Easy Tiger, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  13. Karakalkat

Distributor for Karakal
    Now that would be fun...:D

14. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Strangely, the more I look at his grip the more I like it. I know he took the idea from Taufik, and sometimes the commentators wonder why Lin Dan couldn't at least do a nicer job with the grip. I think it's because it seems kind of awkward to, say, wrap a finishing tape around the top part of the grip when it's only gripped halfway up the handle. Then you have a strip of black, which actually is awkward if you put your thumb right around there since you are now gripping the finishing tape.

Also, I bet he has to regrip so many of his rackets so often that he just doesn't care to make it all nice anymore.

15. Easy Tiger

Bum
    LD and Taufik's grip styles are too thin for me [I'm 6ft 4ins....my hands are a tad large] but there's obviously some logic there.

And more importantly....it works for them. Although I'm still trying to figure out what sort of small furry animal Gade has stuck on the end of his racket!

I'm only suggesting that there are more than one way to do it, and often 'neatness' has little to do with functionality.

I mean, grab a piece of clay and squeeze it. The end result is not particularly 'neat' is it?

16. Jaireh

Jaireh Regular Member

None
    ok thanks for the explanation, very effective for me, hehe :D

17. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I tried LD's gripping style, it's pretty hard on your fingers, there is a bulge, but the parts where it's just plain wood are pretty hard.
    As for Gade, he uses very thick towelgrip and makes a slight bulge at the end (like a baseball bat:p, taufik does the same). So the thick grip dents in after a bit of use) So after a while he has a thick and, and thick top, and small middle part... almost the opposite:eek:

By the way, I used Karakal's PU for a while, if you wrap it with more than the 1/8th overlap you get those ridges, don't these drive you insane? I got fed up with them:eek:

18. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

Christ I never would have thought someone could get so worked up about a grip!

Nobody even mentioned that your grip didn't look good

19. Easy Tiger

Bum
    Yeah, you know me so well. I'm incredibly worked up. My life is meaningless unless eveyone likes my grip style.

20. Somedude

Somedude Regular Member

When I went to Vietnam to visit family I bought myself, what was then, a brand new MP66 racquet. The guy was nice enough to put an overgrip on it for free :D. He put the grip on using that same method, and it turned out perfect! Nice and clean, no cutting required. Pretty much the best grip job I had ever seen. It must be common practice to do it that way over there.