It's time for Misbun Sidek to work for Malaysian Badminton without BAM

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    And now one of them has volunteered to assist the CTC???

Well, if MS rejects BAM offer, he could return to Nusa, right? There's always a place for him there.

#721 Loh, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

if I remember right Razif is not linked to Nusa.

3. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

What about my childhood hero Foo Kok Keong? hehe... BOLEH?

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Uhhh, I really don't agree with this. It sets a bad precedent IMO. Players come in all shapes and sizes, and hues, and backgrounds and strata. But they are generally young, often very young, and I think it would be safe to say that they are in many ways not mature enough or emotionally equipped to provide a sensible census. It could well be a case of their really not knowing what (or who) is best for them. It could well create anarchy.

On another note, this system could also be misused/abused by CTC office-bearers (I'm not saying it will, just that it offers an opportunity) who may elect to interpret the private conversations in their own light.

OTOH, a 6-monthly review of coaches' performance by management and CTC can also include a feedback form to be confidentially and unidentifiably filled in by players.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You also need to consider that at some stage in a person's life, his priorities may change, and he does not want to keep swimming upstream. A lot of people on this thread have conveniently missed the point that MS resigned. He kept his counsel to himself. He didn't bad-mouth anyone in public. He had to be very publicly persuaded back into coaching. And persuaded again. And again, before he "retracted his resignation."

This doesn't sound like a guy with a twisted agenda. Sounds like a guy who is tired of all the crap. And now, has finally given in to the pressure from all the guys who were made to suddenly look bad when he resigned. Was persuaded back in the name of "national interest." That sounds like politics at play. And now this well-orchestrated crescendo of bad-mouthing the very guy who was a hero 3 months ago? And the media, who always need a controversial story to sell their wares, get in on the act as well. And no one wants to see the wood for the trees.

LCW won the AE finals against a visibly slower and inconsistent LD. So now he won because he was free of "MS's restrictive energy?" Well then, what's the excuse for the same LCW losing against the same LD just a month earlier at the KOSS? Let's hear all the different tunes now. "Oh TSB was just getting warmed up with LCW." "LCW was pining for MS, feeling orphaned." "MS threw him to the wloves." "Oh just bad luck." "Oh LCW always loses 2 to LD, then wins one. Next time lucky lah! :D"

Blah blah blah...

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    My suggestion of fact-finding by interviewing the back-up players is to enable CTC to make a better assessment of the situation and how best to allocate an equal number of players to the two coaches. This is opposed to a top-down approach without taking the players' views into account.

Players emotions are involved in such an exercise, especially if they are quite attached to Hendrawan and CTC decided to change their coach. I suppose these players are in their mid-teens to early twenties, they are not entirely young as in their early teens that they can be ordered around and follow instructions without questioning. And by talking to them it also shows that CTC is interested in their welfare and if need be, to alleviate any discomfort or misunderstanding that may arise when changes are not so well-received by the players.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    So what you are suggesting is not a regular procedure, but possibly a one-off response to an unusual situation?

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Yea, humans are humans :)

But if you know something written in the 5 pages email

then you will have a clearer picture :D

He resigned not because of the pressure

nor entirely because of his son etc ...

Simply he wasn't happy doing his job as a coach.

If you ask why wasn't he happy, imagine this :D

Would you be able to perform if there is somebody

tracking you every now and then?

When your players are not winning, asking for reports

and silent ... when they win :D

The style and demanding of reports and answers are just awesome,

treating you like some low rank rookie without any respect :eek:

I fully recommend a noble prize :D :D :D

I wonder why Misbun took so long to break :D

Unless of course one has no vision but only go for the bread :D

Writing reports on one failure outcome is a simple thing to do :D

Is it for filing or to answer the stake holders :D

If it is for improvement and correction,

its call a discussions, preferably a brain storming one

and a civil one of course ... :D

Anyway, one last note to remind us here in bc

especially in this thread when we write or

state our opinion on Misbun, the sidek brothers or even bam,

its best we go through our post before we hit the submit button :D

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

It sounds like Misbun has been "played" out in this case by persuading to rejoin BAM after his abrupt resignation last Dec. No one should discredit Misbun's effort and dedication in what LCW is today... as well as his patriotism (IMHO)...

I am not citing any sides coz the bottom line is for the whole nation to rejoice in BOLEH when (or "if") LCW stands in the podium for GOLD in OG2012... that is "national interest"...

So let's wait and see if Misbun is taking up the challenge... BOLEH :)

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes this is a special case.

11. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Agree with U... it's a two different worlds: Corporate (BAM n CTC) and Technical (Sports -> Badminton). Each has its own KPI to meet, and for the "corporate", they need to submit reports, analysis, bla bla bla for their bosses... that is part of "corporate" world... BOLEH :)

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Thanks for clarifying. :)

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Your childhood hero? Was his name grouped with Cheah and Soo?

14. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Nope... stated clearly that he is Foo Kok Keong... U don't know him?

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Not true, in many industries such as fast food, car assembly etc. all workers need to record work processes for continuity or reference.the problem starts when the workers are not educated or literate enough to be able to write records or proposals, other alternatives should be acceptable.Countries in EU or USA where 80 % of workforce are U graduates can enforce this, problem is in Msia where only 30 % are graduates it takes time to enforce, especially with older workers giving a lot of problem as they may not even know how to use a computer. Onus is on you to reeducate.
    That's why Msia is emphasising on higher education to move up the value chain.
    You join Mazda or Mercedes on day 1 and no one tells you what to do, you are given a work manual and guidelines to start work on your own.
    We should not be afraid to post anything on whoever as we have no vested interests, in the interests of transparency,we should not hide what are facts and disclose only what we want others to hear, that is very biased and unethical.it also gives yourself more credibilty.

#735 Bbn, Apr 18, 2011
  16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I know him only too well, as mentioned did I group his name in the list of Non-bankrupts in previous thread.

It is not my business to pry into peoples' affairs and be a busybody and gossiping about people good or bad like a radio BC,you have to read between the lines. I am just against biased reporting and want to give a balanced view.

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

this is what "knowledge workers" are all about, gone are the days when you have clerks or stenos to do you paperwork.

Workers are encouraged to continue learning.Workers should not always insist on old habits and refuse to adopt new innovations.

You can see how successful the use of management systems are in EPOS or Banks.

It is a huge problem when older workers refuse to retire and still hang on to their jobs and stay in their comfort zone.

That's why it is always emphasised that a change of mindset or paradigm is required, and that is why countries like Japan ,Korea or China are making huge strides,even in badminton, it is the mindset and work culture.

All this is not discussed to embarrass anyone,it is the future and future people have to be aware of all these and avoid the comfort zone. otherwise they will continue to be a liability.You can see what is happening in Egypt,Libya or even Sarawak where young girls in their 20s displace old soldiers.

#737 Bbn, Apr 18, 2011
  18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Hahahaha, that's why lah I said if the bosses dont appreciate/take for granted, go elsewhere. Go over to competitor & make the competitor successful, then only the bosses will see something. That's the corporate world.
    In badminton, the 'lowly' assistant coach TKH went to Korea & England(competitor). When he came back, his value went up. I'll say Wong Tat Meng's value will up too when he comes back from INA. When WTM was in Msia, he was bumped from assistant coach in MS to BJSS, then to WS

The way the CTC is doing it, I see it as they dont want Misbun back, so purposely ask him to coach back up in the hope he will not take up the offer. Then they can tell the Sports Minister they tried(all supposedly in the name of national interest) but Misbun refused. This kinda thing actually happens in office politics, in case you all think I read too much into it.

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

We dont even know whether it is :

1) A case of a person who doesn't want to adapt to change when everyone else can accept it.
    2) Whether that person has come for special treatment for some reason
    3) It is fair to be patient with certain elderly people who need time to adapt
    4) Whether that person has forgotten how other people have helped him when he was in dire straits
    etc.etc.
    The permutations are endless and it will take a long inquiry looking from both sides to be able to have a conclusion.
    It is easy to forget that it is not easy to be in business, many people fail and think they are capable in business when they are not. All the more reason to be open-minded and be able to learn , at least MS can learn from mistakes.

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Being asked to train back-up or juniors is no shame. Famous coaches have said it is not that difficult to make a champion out of a world class player. ms with his "Full Metal Jacket" disciplinary style should be able to whip developing players into good physical shape before they are taught the finer points. That is his strength that can be optimised, problem is whether the charges can last such training or get severely injured.
    Tang Xian Hu for all his fame cant even bring up his son from the ranks, neither can LYB do so for his son.I think the BAM can see the usefulness of MS and hopefully he can be rational enough to take up the challenge.It is a big challenge to create champions from nobodies.