A new form of badminton "Tai Chi badminton"

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by footimy, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

so you're little stick-horses are focus, clamness and flow...

why do you keep saying 'tai chi badminton'? why are you so hellbent on coining your own term?

2. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    It is because "Tai Chi" is the best term to describe this kind of play. Go and research the meaning of Tai Chi in combat (not in the exercise Tai Chi term) you will understand why I use "Tai Chi Badminton" instead of "Karate badminton" LOL.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

maybe you should ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_chi

I know with 'tai chi' you refer to the whole "inner life force" and "inner peace", the spiritual side of the martial arts sport.

But really, these are well-known principles, nothing new. And by recoining it tai-chi and talking about your revolutionary idea (which you by the way admit is already done by all pro's) just sounds silly.
    You obviously have a lot of experience (even at international level) and you can probably contribute a lot, but sticking to the well-known terms for these things helps us readers a lot :)

4. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    The Tai chi concept in combat

Martial art: The ability to use tai chi as a form of self-defense in combat is said to be the most effective proof of a student's understanding of the art's principles. The study of tai chi chuan martially is the study of appropriate change in response to outside forces; the study of yielding and blending with outside force rather than attempting to meet it with opposing force.

WIKIPEDIA

5. SkyRider

SkyRider Regular Member

hey phandrew u mention " he is probably some spammer ". how do u know when u are in australia and he is malaysia.
    To me, he is just sharing his knowledge and let other benefit for it.

hey footimy, care to video and share with us.

6. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    I'll make a video about it so that everyone will have clear idea how actually it done. The will post the video in metacafe. In the mean time, try to understand the concept that I try to convey. CHEER!!!!!

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yes, exactly....
    In what way do you relate this to your subject?
    blending in with the shuttle/smash?

Martial-arts parables? I liked the car-analogue's of old better:p

8. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    Blending with the game pace/speed/flow/rhythm, and use the appropriate skill to break the pace/speed/flow/rhythm (not as simple as this). And u must have master all the skill so that you can chance your timing, playing style, pace/speed/flow/rhythm freely in order to play "tai chi badminton". Can you change your playing pace in the bling of a second, from speed pace to slow and slow to fast, in one single point? If yes, you are a great player.

9. Dead Fish

Dead Fish Regular Member

Teacher
    Any good player knows that good footwork will get you to the shuttle quickly and depending on how good your footwork is give you your shot of choice. At the higher levels of badminton there is no flow in play, there is simply getting to the bird at the right time. Also you can blend into the game all you want but the most simple and best way to play badminton is to hit the bird in rather then out and always return it. If you can properly do this how will you ever loose a point?

10. saifii

saifii Regular Member

i usually go for exceptionally tight net drops and net shots but sometimes in btw a game i would start net killing and smashing anything that smells like it. would u call this "breaking the flow" coz that obviously puts off your opponent who will never again correctly anticipate your gameplay

11. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    How many people can use Tai Chi badminton effectively? How long can you destroy the pace?

Destroying the rhythm and changing the rhythm is interchangeable...

12. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Don't you just mean that in order not to be controlled by our opponents, we must vary our shots so that the opponent won't read our patterns ?
    This is basicly another form of deception. The opponent won't be able to guess where we will hit ? :eek:

I beat my friend three consequtive sets in a row: 21-9, 21-11, 21-8. Two days later when I played against him, the scores got reversed. He basicly knew where I was going to hit, and he could also point out the weaknesses in my pattern. So.. we must vary our shot selection and not play the same shots in the same pattern all the time.

It could've also been a bad-day for me though, I lost my technique-
    [ happens when I think too much about my shot selection and stroke, etc, after filming myself play. Something was wrong with my stroke, i also lost to fellow club-members whom i can usually beat].
    I later got my form back and I know what to do.

13. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    May I suggest "boxing badminton" for guys and "bikini badminton" for the sexy ladies please?:p

14. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Wu Tai Badminton. My strategy is about choppy plays, throwing the Tai Chi Badminton out of his destroying pace. Because my Wu Tai Badminton style has a choppy play. Chop chop chop! Wu Tai WALALALALA.

#34 KazeCloud, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  15. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

haha footimy, this is the first time that i've ever heard of tai chi badminton and that sounds cool but theres a concept that ur missing. Tai Chi and Badminton are two different elements. Your trying to say Tai Chi "IS" Badminton. Sry no its not, your only able to use the concepts IN tai chi to adapt with badminton but its not really called "Tai Chi" badminton. From my experiences with tai chi and wushu, tai chi takes years to be able to control a strong energy called "Chi" energy. Now Lin Dan and Peter Gade and all those other players you described about do not have the "Tai Chi" flow in them. They have techniques that doesn't require Tai Chi, it requires hardwork of training and years of practice. Tai Chi is a traditional chinese martial arts that is practiced in everyday lives in China and all around the world and yes it helps you with the mind, the body, and the spirit. BUT based on Tai Chi, your using Tai Chi to think better about your shots, thats where the mind kicks in, and the body is your fitness, and the spirit is your sportmenship. Now this "tai chi" shot your describing about... This is what it should be in a tai chi practitioner point of view. You can't use Tai Chi for drop shots, the only shots u could use the tai chi shot would be smash because in Tai Chi, you release the strong chi energy that you contain and release it, not force. So the key would be finding your center and utilize the force. It would be slow first then STRONG AND FAST at the end without using force because using force will cause the "flow" to seize. No offence but ur wikipedia search has failed you because they describe "force" so they lied to you.

#35 Azianhero, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  16. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
  17. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

18. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Do not fall for the Shaolin Style Badminton. It is merely a gimmick!

You will be my first deciple then.

You are now apart of the Wu Tai Force.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think Footimy is just using Tai Chi terms to describe the "hard and the soft" tactics/stategy in playing badminton efficiently. For example, he used the example of the smash, clear and the drop shot with efficiency and a movement that the opponent cannot say for sure whether it is going to be a cut smash or a full smash, or even a clear or a drop. Others call this deception. Yet there are others who say foot positions and arm movement for all these strokes should be similar. Different ways to skin a cat, I think.
    But Tai Chi is a body contact sport in which an opponent's force, like punching hard at you, can be used against him, because of the two fighters' close proximity to each other.
    However, in badminton the two opponents are quite far from each other. The use of a soft reaction to use an opponent's sheer power against himself is more limited, mainly to blocks, wrist flick return of smashes, slow drops, deception. But deception can work for both power and and the soft.
    I think you are using Tai Chi terms, where appropriate, to dramatically drill into your charges the complete repertoire of badminton strokes and tactics, which are a combination of power, speed, deception, and the very soft touch.
    In badminton there are two elements you must contend with. One is your own playing style. Everyone has his or her own style, whether it is aggressive, controlled, or a combination. You cannot and should not drastically change your playing style, because it is your own "character signature" dna. The other is your opponent. You must know your opponent's strength and weakness. There is no one game plan to play against all opponents. Sometimes if it requires more power to beat an opponent, why not?
    BTW, I met all the West Malaysian players on their way back from the World Chinese Championships in Southern China last Oct/Nov. They did not do too well that time, which they put down to poor lighting and poor logistics of having to play at various venues.

20. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

We're spamming the hell outta here :eek::D..

The better player is the one whose actions can not be read by the opponent. That's all deception to be realistic.