Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Can anyone tell me what are the the markings on the newest Zymax strings? Are they still marked "Ashaway USA"? If so, how can you tell say Zymax 62 from Zymax 65, 67 or 70?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Mine says Ashaway USA Zymax 62

3. leo11

leo11 Regular Member

mine too ... ASHAWAY USA ZYMAX 62

4. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    same here..

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There was a period when the 2nd gen. Zymax was introduced the markings on the the 2nd gen. strings were simply "ASHAWAY USA" and the first gen. "ASHAWAY USA Zymax 62".
    It now appears that all non-platinum strings (all 2nd gen.), available in all gauge sizes, are marked "ASHAWAY USA Zymax XX". The platinum is only available in Asia in only Zymax 62 1st gen.
    Am I right?

6. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I've never seen the platinum before and MBS doesn't sell platinum colors unfortunately. Is it possible to purchase online?

Anyway my question on Zymax is that is Zymax 65 a true compromise between 62 and 67? It has the durability similar to 67 but the repulsion of 62?

7. visor

visor Regular Member

... or you could also say it has the dullness of zm67 while having the fragility of zm62 :p

but seriously, i find it to be smack in the middle of 62 and 67 in terms of good and bad, as mentioned by your post and my post ;)

8. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Haha, thanks visor.

I'm reconsidering just trying ZM67 at 2lbs. higher than my usual just to see how that goes. I like the durability of Zymax strings, but I don't want it to snap on me after a couple weeks. Even if I string rackets myself it takes time and it still costs quite a bit. Hopefully ZM65 is a winner for me, or ZM67 as a back up.

In any case, I ordered BG80, BG80P, ZM62, ZM65 to test out to see what I like. I chose them for their power:cost ratio. Although I'll be stringing them at slightly different tensions to adjust for their thickness compared to ZM67.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ if you don't break zm67 much and want more feel, touch and power, at the expense of slight lesser durability, then zm65 is your answer :)

10. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I just strung a zm62 on my sw35 at 26x28lbs and wow I felt the difference straight away! I had just strung another of my sw35's with bg80p at the same tension but it felt tame after using zm62. I'm tempted to buy a reel now, but I might play a few more sessions first to see how well the string fares when I'm playing in tougher sessions. I had previously tried a zm65 which wasn't bad, but with the zm62 the shuttle seems to fly off like a rocket :D

11. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Same here, I just tried ZM65 and 62 last night at the same tension just to see how I felt about them and which tension would be better for me.

So it turns out I strung ZM62 too high for me -_- Sometimes there would be an awesome and unique sound but most of the time it felt like I wasn't hitting properly. It was strung at 24 lbs. since I usually play with 26+ with other strings and I didn't want it to snap on the first day. Then I played with the ZM65 which gave me a little more power, probably due to the better tension for me. Which means I should be stringing the next ZM62 around 22-23 lbs. We'll see. Since we play with plastic at my university club, I don't feel safe using higher tensions.

I'm stringing with BG80 next so I'll make a short comparison probably next week.

12. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

You must be brave using zm62 with plastics. I personally wouldn't use anything under 0.68mm with plastics or string over 25lbs...too scared to easily destroy the strings with plastic shuttles which I've done before :(

13. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

It's definitely very risky, but I really wanted to try the strings :( I'm playing with ZM67 @ 25x27.5 as well. It kind of feels similar to the ZM65 @ 23x25. I'm glad I didn't buy a reel of each one yet, because there was a very dull feeling to the zymax strings.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

You can still play plastic with zm62... just have to use 21 lb or less. ;)

15. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

gonna up the tension by a pound next time i string my PPro with the 62. Seems like the string is pretty durable (more durable than I thought); either that or I'm hitting it around the spot that I'm supposed to hit it.

Might have to give the 65 another go. Got the 67 on my Rev and I'm loving the power.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    order 2 reels of ZM62 (red+white) and 1 reel of ZM65 (white) today.

should be enough for another year?

17. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    No, it won't be enough.
    I have a hunch that your customers are going to be increased, kwun.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i ordered 2 reel of ZM62 around a year ago and I just ran out. so 3 reels should be ok.

19. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

No broken string or fraying from my 2nd session with the ZM62, although the tension seemed to have gone down a tiny bit but I guess that's normal a few days after stringing. I will pre-stetch next time to be sure.

I also noticed that one of the knots that I tied (Kwuns no tension loss knot) does seem to sink into the grommet a tiny bit compared to other strings, but it must be because of the thinner strings. I don't think it will be a problem but I'll keep an eye out on it.

Now I just need to decide whether to get a white or red ZM62 :rolleyes:

20. visor

visor Regular Member

The consensus
    is that zm62 should not be pre stretched, as that would cause damage to its elasticity.

Just string it 1 lb higher
    next time to mitigate tension loss, which already is minimal.

#1100 visor, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013