REVIEW: Alpha Shuttle Express Stringing Machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Apr 6, 2009.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. i like it. pocket rocket. compact yet powerful. :)

the WISE is surprisingly heavy. even so, the combination should be able to be lifted by a finger.

despite the look, both pieces are very well built. especially the ASE. the horizontal bar isn't some cheapo stuff. i think it is stainless steel. it took me over a minute to drill each hole through it.

2. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

Thanks Kwun for the information, will be waiting for the photo :)

Never knew default mounting bracket from 2086 can be removed. Before I was thinking to raise the turntable by attaching another piece of metal in between the turntable and the horizontal bar.

Edit: hahaha yeah.. the poison really get me now. Just need to find where I can get one from New Zealand

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i gave that a though also.

put that only as a last resort as there will be a huge force acting on the joint area, inserting a piece of metal will not be very sturdy and stable.

photo probably come tomorrow. tonight gotta to badminton practice. :)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in that case, let me take some more photos TONIGHT. :D

5. ae86trueno

Yikes... haahhaha.. *must resist.. must resist.. can't resist.. * :D

By the way this is what I had in mind before, the top blue coloured is the turntable and the middle is the 3 metal block welded together with thickness the same as the horizontal bar so it can slot into turntable and to horizontal bar. Then just need to bolt in at the same place.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the picture, I just use msPaint in my office pc

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Here's an idea..

..how about, sending the pics of the mod to both the WISE and ASE manufacturer and put a small caption, reading:
    "Have you guys ever thought about designing this WASE machine??..And you all thought we can't modify & redesign your machine, eh??.."
    ;)

#46 ctjcad, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. ae86trueno

I just read Laowai's post regarding the portable stringing machine is not strong enough for 2086 tension. Is it due to 2086 was actually made for Tennis and can go to higher tension which we don't. the highest tension on my tensioner is 36lbs I think it should be able to handle the same 36lbs from 2086 right?

I think it should handle 2086 fine unless someone crazy enough to tension their badminton racket on these portable with Tennis' tension.

8. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

that's great idea ......

how is the your shuttle-express machine compare to combo machine (combo = for multi purpose) ? especially for the stringing job ?

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's a good drawing actually.

i think that would work. but it will also require pretty good craftsmanship to make sure there is minimal play.

i didn't manage to get any photos taken tonight. too tired from badminton. the poisoning will have to wait till tomorrow.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have total confidence on the strength and build quality of the ASE. it may look flimsy, but in fact it is rock solid. i wouldn't do 60lbs on it, but 35-40lbs from the WISE no problem.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just realized i can weigh the whole thing with the fish scale.

the WASE weighs around 20lbs. certainly no problem moving it around the house or bring to stringfests.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    dont forget a very long extension cord:p:p

13. ae86trueno

Thank you Maa2003, well I never use combo machine before so I cannot say anything about combo machine. but I think mounting wise, a combo machine can't be better than a racket specific machine (like I said I never use one so I could be wrong about combo machine). I use HQ, it look the same as Kwun's.

14. ae86trueno

Thanks Kwun. Yes agree and I think should be no play at all otherwise it might affect tension while stringing.

hahahaha no worries :) will be waiting for the photo then :) by the way can you take photo of the mounting part of 2086? Thank you Kwun :)

15. ae86trueno

Exactly thats what I mean, no one will do 60lbs on badminton racket :) well not yet anyway.. who knows in future ;)

16. jerby

jerby Regular Member

picture is great, very detailed!

I think your idea is very good, and should work, however, I think you should reconsider your manufacturing-process.

Having welded some stuff over the summer, and being an "intern" of some sort in a metal-working shop, I've got this advice:
    You want to drill 6 holes in 3 plates and then weld them together.... It's practically impossible to line up properly as welding distorts the plates.
    You wouldn't want a crooked turntable, that'll be some weird stringing ;)

I have two idea's: use a milling cutter if you can. the precision cannot be matched by hand (the ones we have on our university can do like 0.1mm increments I think)
    Option one would be to fashion the entire thing out of one piece, first trimming it's shape, then drilling the bottom 4 holes before you take out the space where the original ASE-bar would be, then taking out that space lastly. (did I explain it properly? I'm not very good at this without a drawing:eek:)
    Option two would be to fashion 3 separate plates and bolt them together with 2 large bolts instead of welding. Alternatively, with a good design you can get away with making 3 identical plates, drilling four holes in a large bar, then dividing the bar in 3 pieces (to be the plates)

sorry for making the post long, maybe you're not even going to make that thing:p But I wnated to try and help :) all the best!

17. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

Last time I emailed to Alpha USA, they gave me a higher price for this machine, if I remember correctly, it was $399 for the machine + shipping. Over all, I think this is a good machine, almost all dedicated badminton shop in China use Alpha products.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    60lbs? we will wait for Pete's report.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  20. mzc888

mzc888 Regular Member

Student, Coach
    hey kwun, where did purchase your alpha shuttle express?