Panda Power: A Racket That Can Take 40lbs. String Tension!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by DinkAlot, Apr 22, 2009.

1. BOUBOS1957

BOUBOS1957 Regular Member

CATEGORY DIRECTOR
    The Revelation was such an excitment for everybody; where are those reviews ???

:confused:........:eek:

2. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

too busy playing and using the racket; no time for reviews.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Which is surely a review in and of itself:).

4. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    Hello all,

I'll try a quick review of the revelation here, i've received the racket on thursday and played 2 hours with it yesterday so im not really used to it yet but i think i can give my first impressions. My rackets are 3U (87gr) with 297mm balance point

Look :

The racket look gorgeous, the nacked woven fiber with the pearl white inscriptions on it is just terrible. It gives a little hologram effect to the racket which is really great looking.
    From far the best looking racket i've ever seen, simple and nice.

Warm up:

The first few hits with the revelations showed an incredible speed, when you play with it you feel like being able to defend like god it's quite nice.
    Feel is great, a little less crispy than the PPro but i didn't notice my performance at net play and precision shots decreasing with this racket.
    The sweet spot is the thing that increased the most between the PPro and the revelation. It's much more easier to play with this racket, mishits don't result in punishment anymore.

Match play :

Starting with double game i think this racket suits perfectly with that. The speed gives you nice defense and drives are extremly good due to that. As the head speed is very high, im now able to turn down the racket very quickly when driving with oponents.
    Precision is very good as said before but the thing i regret on this racket is the lack of power compared to my victor MX JJS. I need to hit much more harder to get the power. Maybe im not yet used to the racket but as it feels much more lighter, i think it's not abnormal.
    Im thinking of ordering two more but heavier maybe it would be better.

Thank you .

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Update:

Some observations after a few more sessions.

- finally managed to find a low enough tension of 22x23 lbs on the white zm62 such that the string doesn't disintegrate at the slightes mishit :p

- very generous sweetspot, larger than P Pro

- just when i thought i had reached max power of the racket, there's more power to be had when i really wailed on it some more! maybe it's the woven frame or perhaps it's the slightly flexier shaft, but i think i've been coddling the racket too much as it's still relatively new... but now i'm finding that the angrier that i hit it, the more power i'm unleashing from it in clears, smashes, kills... if that makes any sense. :D and i'm not even close to near the limit yet... :eek:

#6425 visor, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. BOUBOS1957

CATEGORY DIRECTOR
    Vizor, which version of the ZM62 are you playing with???

The original version, which was about 58mm, the second generation that was 62mm or the latest version, which is supposed to be a tad heavier??

Myself; I find out that with the second generation, I cant go over 23 lbs without breaking too often.

With the original version (58mm) it is 19 lbs; if more tension and any mishit break it, with no mercy.

Supposedly Ashaway will review its gauge, hopefully Dink will soon advise and explain.

Because, except on some durability problems, it is surely an awesome string.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=41080]BOUBOS1957[/MENTION]

I'm playing current version. Wait... is there a v.3?

I didn't know that v.1 is 0.58mm. Where is that mentioned in the Zymax thread? Although now there is a 0.58mm prototype named zm58 for obvious reasons.

#6427 visor, Feb 26, 2013
  8. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

v1 snaps like dry spaghettini it's incredible :D

9. BOUBOS1957

CATEGORY DIRECTOR
    Dear Vizor,

This whole story is a bit confusing.

- The first test version of the ZM62 (Platinum) that was initially planned, but I believed never sold to the market, was supposedly 58mm.
    I think it did not go thru, even if very high-performance, because it was not durable enough for a company to market.
    But if you are still interested, check with Dink, he can inform you better about the product, but I don't know if he still has any of it: ZM 62 Platinum (58mm). But remember that 18 lbs tension of this string, is like 23-24 lbs with a regular 62 mm. (the white one you have if it is the current one)

- From what I understand; the version that went to the market, (what you have in hands) ZM62 is 62mm.

- Now I've heard rumors in an another version; the ZM62 might become 65mm, unless I misunderstood the latest news, because of durability ???
    From previous testing, the 65mm one is very powerful and durable, it should give you the best of the 2 worlds.

- And I am not aware of a ZM58 prototype???

Everything seems confusing with Ashaway, but they make a hell of a good string.

Hope it clarify, otherwise, check with Dink, who is the one with the most knowledge.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Thanx for the summary, Boubos. :)

Yeah, zm58pt was offered by my local
    panda distributor but I turned it down as the 62 was already a fragile enough and also causing premature wear on the grommets.

11. BOUBOS1957

CATEGORY DIRECTOR
    Great, in a perfect world, with no mishit, the strings would last a lot longer, but with the speed of today's game, who doesn't???

I really like the 62mm, but once I will be finish with my reels, I will defintely move the 65mm one.

Again, I believ, it is more of an all around string with the best you can get for durability and performances.

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Until folks around here came up with the v3 term regarding Zymax the only ones I knew about where simply: old vs new packaging (v1-v2; which also coincided with a change in the string of course, not just for re-packing/marketing purposes). Old packaging had the platinum colour and was left out and replaced with red for the new packaging which now has black added as a fourth colour ...
    But I'm sure it will be cleared up for good at some point :D

#6432 demolidor, Feb 26, 2013
  13. alphaQue

alphaQue Regular Member

where have all the pandas gone? Any updates on the revalations? I was hoping for pand( A)monium :D

Received mine this week. Going to test it out this weekend.

14. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    No more love for the Revelation?

15. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Some people just don't see a point to repeat themselves (or other people) ya know? :p

16. visor

visor Regular Member

@CanucksDynasty

How're you doing with yours after you restrung?

I'm loving mine more and more with zm62 @ 23lbs (1070 Hz).

But the specs we chose are meant for some heavy hitting, so I'm finding that I get better results when I play "angry" and hit hard. :p

17. BOUBOS1957

CATEGORY DIRECTOR
    OK guys, sorry, I wanted to wait for more time with the racquets, but here is some of it...

I received my 2 Rev's 10 days ago, 85 gr BP 288, and strung with the ZM62 Platinum at 18lbs(should play like 22lbs). Played 2 times with them, did not like the string/racquet set-up.

I had them restrung with same string at 20lbs, played once, much better, but for I don't know what reason; I am having difficulties adapting to the racquet.

Sometime, especially when I am playing more aggressively; it plays like a magic weapon, and sometime I have trouble getting the best out of it; so I will wait to have more time with it, before posting a definite review. But I can give you my initial thoughts. Here they are.....

In term of finish; it is the best looking one of the Panda line, the clear coat is definetly a must for any future racquets, and no more racquets should be done without it. The quality clear coat is from the major league.

Althougth it is the exact same specs; (weight and BP), as my Precision Pro's, the REv's feel heavier and play a bit slower then my PPro's, but I can't figure out why. (Probably material composition ???)

In term of power (clears/smashes/drives); definetely more power then any other Panda's so far, at least at the same specs. But again, I have not been consistent with it.

The racquet head is very stable, this gives a lot of control at net play, and very precise for shot placement.

So far at net killing situation; I feel the racquet head slower and heavier, so I will have to adjust my timing and position for those situation.

Sweet spot seems a lot larger then previous Panda's, this allow me a lot better control and power on shot not perfectly hit.

Playing more double than anything, defence and racquet speed is important, and as stated above, I feel it slower; will need some adjustment, not yet ready to comment properly.

One more thing: after increasing string tension to 20lbs(ZM62 Plat.), I feel like I could get up more tension to enjoy the racquet better. I feel like the racquet is asking me more. I will soon have one of them restrung at 22lbs(which will give me around 26lbs) to compare. I think that this racquet needs to be played at high tension to be able to deliver what it can.

Probably Dink, who must have tried it at many different tension, could comment???

I will review this initial review; when I have more experience with the racquet.

18. bsmith

bsmith Regular Member

Engineering software developer www.elitesoft.com
    Low String Tension

Reading both Visor's and Boubos1957 posts about string tension and their Revelation rackets, I am struck by the low tensions mentioned, 23 for Visor and 20 for Boubos. I am a fairly new convert from racketball to badminton, about two years into badminton. But it seems when I try any racket and any string type at these low tensions, the bird becomes very bouncy and hard to control on drop shots. But get the tension up closer to 30 lbs. and I can "spoon feed" the net drop shots with much better control.

I was under the impression that everyone can control drop shots better with high tension. But I also remember Dink saying that every player should use the lowest tension possible at which they feel they retain good control. Since Visor and Boubos can retain good control at lower tensions which is hard to do for most players, I guess it means that they are very skilled players. I don't see how they do it.

19. BOUBOS1957

CATEGORY DIRECTOR
    BsMITH: We are playing at these low tension numbers, because we are playing with Zymax 62 Platinum, which is a very thin string, that plays around 4 to 6 pounds more. So my 20 is more like a 25 and the Visor 22 is like a 27 lbs.

20. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Haven't change strings yet. Trying it once more with BG80. If I don't like it...I'll change it to thinner strings. I think thin strings would match the racket better.