badminton étiquette: how do you hand the bird to your opponents or your partner?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by thumpsky, Aug 16, 2011.

1. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    you used excepted where i think you meant accepted. 'accepted etiquette in pro badminton' would mean its ok for pros. 'excepted etiquette in pro badminton' means the behaviour is excluded/not allowed in pro badminton. hence i apologized for being a grammar nazi because i knew what you meant anyway.

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

ahh! when you said grammar i was totally looking for a grammatical error and missed that crazy spelling mistake. lol

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zls0natZqFM

here you go, save you bending down for it all the time.

4. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    thats why pros just flick it to the T, so the opponent has to bend down and scoop it, wear down their stamina.

5. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

In doubles I scoop it off the floor then launch towards the centre of the opponents court. That's a more recent habit for me I've forced myself to adopt. I used to send it to the side of the court the opponent was due to serve from...except I used to forget to add the last point to the score so would regulary send it to the wrong side...not..very...classy :(.

In singles I scoop it and send it directly to the opponent.

As for my partner, I scoop and flick it to them... with varying degrees of accuracy :eek:

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i agree, the poor sport issue is very obvious, in that case, i see that whatever i or my partner is doing is getting under their skin, which is a motivation and indication for me to continue on the same course of action. but i would still scoop it up and flick it to them, and i do the same with my partner. i hate having the shuttle "served" to me on the stringbed so i don't do it, even if my partner is right there i'll still light flick it or i just toss it lightly with the non racket hand.

i've once played with a partner who actually used his racket to guide me onto the correct side to serve before every serve. i got so annoyed that i told him to stop touching and he stopped.

7. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    that annoys me too. some people treat their racket as a extension of their hand.

8. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Isn't it how it's supposed to be?

If I'm close to my partner, then I'll serve the birdie. If the distance is far, then I'll just flick it. Sometimes when I can't scoop it for some reason after couple trials, I'll just pick and hand/toss it.
    Oh, and even when it's under the net, I'll try to fight to scoop the birdie and then flick it back to the opponent...

#48 kaki!, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  9. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I was replying to the last paragraph, talking about people who will push you with their racket instead of opening their mouth.

10. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I was replying to the last paragraph, talking about people who will push you with their racket instead of opening their mouth.

11. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Why do you possibly hate the shuttle served to you? If you get the shuttle flicked to you, you will have to make effort to catch it or pick it up again. If Im given the shuttle by hand or on the racket, thats the nicest for me when Im about to serve, i think.

#51 vixter, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  12. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Well, luckily I can admit I was not being serious. I was having a laugh picturing myself acting in that way, sorry :)