How long does a pair of badminton shoes last?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by darkaznboi333, Dec 5, 2007.

1. manhhoang0910

manhhoang0910 Regular Member

I try Victor shoes
    Feel good
    Flexible and strength
    Comment ?

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I play every day - and my two pairs of Mizuno shoes lasted nearly 3 years.
    Does that mean each pair would have lasted twice that long if I had played only every alternate day? :p

My Wilson shoes were good for more than a year (14 months).
    They were more comfortable than the Mizunos but wore out quite fast.

The Yonex SHB-100LTD is, by far, the best shoes I've worn for badminton.
    Excellent traction, very flexible, snug and very comfortable... and not too bad-looking either.
    It's less than half a year now... and the soles still seem alright.
    I wonder if they will outlast the Wilsons :rolleyes:

3. Daylightkiller

Daylightkiller Regular Member

Student
    i used the yonex sh(somehting)-99 the red and white one for only about 3 months and it's starting to bust out holes. :crying: i had the limited edition one which lasted much longer but i switched because the grip wore out. anyone know any stores in california that sells mizuno shoes?

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    That Was Fast!

Well, they didn't :eek:

The leading edges began showing wear in just a month.
    They are now wearing thin very very fast!
    Worse, the first tear has appeared on the side :(

Longevity Guide:

Mizuno* - 17 months (two pairs lasted 34 months)
    Wilson SH-121W - 14 months (two pairs lasted 28 months)
    Yonex SHB-100 Limited Edition - 9 months!

*I can't recall the model but it looks like the Smash Wave SG2.

Since the Mizunos cost me SGD 168 and the Yonex too was around that, I'm now at a loss to choose the next pair.

The value-for-money principle suggests Wilson but the comfort value suggests Yonex again.

5. meteoflare

meteoflare Regular Member

String breaker
    I play 2-3 times a week for about 3 hours each session. I had Yonex limited 100mx's that lasted ~9 months from a weird tear... My shoes were slightly tight to begin with and apparently I push too hard on my right foot when I jump or lunge. I ended up getting a tear on the outer part of the right shoe. =/ Can't comment on the cushion.

My friend plays 3 hours a week and his yonex 70's? have apparently lasted over 2 years.

6. Willi@m

Willi@m Regular Member

Blow Blow Water
    Hey~! Looks like Im not the only one. My SHB-100Ltd lasts me 9 months too. Rubber outsole on the left forefoot are worn out. Would be slippery when running around the court.

I am planning to get SHB-99Low (similar to 99Ltd, but w/o the sling black bag and cheaper). Will this pair is better, more comfort & last longer than 100Ltd ?

7. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    My shb100s are coming to a year, 9months, still standing, grip is still good, but the lateral claw is tearing.:(

8. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

did mizuno or maybe asis shoes have power cusion or something similar if compared to yonex shoes?

9. hendrawanfan

hendrawanfan Regular Member

Buyer
    How long does a pair of badminton shoes last?

As long as you don't wear it and walk on the street, only get it change when enter the indoor enviroment. should be last pretty long.

I bought a Mizuno Wave Smash SG2...feeling really great and really grip to the ground, and it is light weight as well. It's completely different to my old Yonex SHB-99 Low (same as Lee Chong WEi's one), so i highly recommend the Mizuno Wave Smash SG2 to all of you.

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Well, different brands adopted different strategy to cushion the feet from impact. Mizuno has this mizuno wave thingy. I sort of buy into its working principles of molding plastic in the form of waves so it transforms vertical shock into lateral motion.

My 5 pairs of mizuno shoes (badminton and running) worked very well for me and their shoes lasts a long time (for me) so I have no problem throwing extra dough at them. I recently acquired the wave smash sg to relegate my not really aging '06 wave gate as my secondary court shoe.

11. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    well basically my Yonex shoes wont worn out that fast. I changed my shoe every 1 year.
    i use a mid end yonex, and after a year, only the sole lose its grip. the yellow rubber is hardened, so it slips.....

the durability of the shoe depends on:
    - Taking care of the shoe ( only use it in indoor surface )
    - Surface of the court
    - Playing style

currently, the left side of my shoe look more worn out than the right side.
    i dont really know how did this happen. maybe when i was about to catch a drop, i use the tip of my left foot(behind) to assist the right foot(in front)

12. epermana

epermana Regular Member

When I play 5 days a week, several hours each time including training, SHB100MX lasted 3 months. Life span ofthe shoes increases to about 6-9 months when I play about 2-3 times a week.

13. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

I think the socks is something we often overlooked.

It acts as a cushioning between our feet and shoes. Socks probably can last about max 6 months, then it becomes thin after repeated washings.

I am no podiatrist, but I strongly feel that having a good pair of socks and tying your shoes tightly will prevent the insides of the shoe from slipping and causing the toes from crashing and tearing the upper support, especially when lunging.

My shb90MX has show signs of tear, after 1.5 years. Time for shoe shopping, just like the ladies:D.

#53 Badmintan, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Yes, the duration of the shoes depends on usage. If you play regular, it is natural that wear and tear happens. Also, it depends on how you run on the court helps as well. A good pair of socks and another sole pad does helps. ;)

I would prefer to invest in cheaper shoes like $50 each. Then I can change to nicer design after its torn. ;) Change it faster. I can like buy 3 pairs on normal brands compared to buying 1 pair on so called branded ones.

15. Tahmm

Tahmm New Member

Strategist
    Badmintan, I need your help.

Only noticed that you are in Singapore, so would you please advise where to buy yonex and mizuno shoes (authentic ones) in Singapore. I mean it can be unofficial stores. Like in Bangkok, there are some badminton stores, located near the national stadium, selling yonex badminton equipments (including shoes) for lower price than the official yonex shop. Unfortunately, my shoes size was sold out. I'm from Bangkok, Thailand. I will go to Singapore in next two weeks....

16. Tahmm

Tahmm New Member

Strategist

Only noticed that you are in Singapore, so would you please advise where to buy yonex and mizuno shoes (authentic ones) in Singapore. I mean it can be unofficial stores. Like in Bangkok, there are some badminton stores, located near the national stadium, selling yonex badminton equipments (including shoes) for lower price than the official yonex shop. Unfortunately, my shoes size was sold out. I'm from Bangkok, Thailand. I will go to Singapore in next two weeks....

17. Yamaho1

Yamaho1 Regular Member

I go through shoes every 3 to 4 months. The latest Mizunos were looking great but the left inside sole has worn so thin that the glue from shoe to sole has now worn and has broken loose. I have tried Reeboks, Asics, and Mizunos. The Mizunos gave the best cushioning in my knees and heels as I like to jump smash. Can anyone recommend a pair of shoes, (OK, just a left shoe) that has a long lasting inner sole? I play 3 to 4 sessions a week 2 to 3 hours at a time. Average 8 hours a week currently, then 12 hours per week when I help coach next month. I think I move very quickly and use my inner left foot as my balance/brake for deep lunges and my left toe for a brake to slow down coming straight in.

18. Henzy

Henzy Regular Member

Quality Coordinator
    put shoes in the freezer for a day or 2 > bacteria die > smell disappears!!

You're welcome :p

19. Henzy

Henzy Regular Member

Quality Coordinator

Agreed - I was just now thinking, wouldn't it be easy, cool and cheep if the cushioning or gel or whatever was like a replacable unit that you could pop into a socket or something :)

you could even change the cushioning of your shoe depending on circumstances etc :D

20. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    Im using my 4th pair in almost 6 years now.
    First pair was some crappy rucanor, not even real badminton shoes, but I just started playing to I didn't care. Played on those for about 2 years, then I felt like I needed some proper badminton shoes since I was beginning to understand the game and sometimes I felt my shoes were holding me back.
    Second was Victor, lasted me about 1,5 year.
    Third was Babolat, lasted me about 1,5 year.
    Now I am using Victor again, for about 7 month now. Side of the sool of left shoe is a already very flat, all the rest is ok. Guess I have a drag in some of my footwork :p

Next pair (probably in september, when new competition season starts) I think I am going to try out Asics or Adidas. Heard good stories about both, being comfortable for heavier people with wide feet and being good value for money.