Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    just read about the wake up call for junior as they fail to win wjc 1st time since 2007.
    its look like bam never need any wake up call because they never win any wc,og,uber or sudirman:p

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    No counter offer for Joo Bong

By K.M. BOOPATHY
    11 November 2012
    http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badmin...age63Dp:/he3D03Dn63Frea-rti3D19.3D163D03eddin

That is the stand of the BAM after a council meeting yesterday in response to Joo Bong's current employer, the Nippon BA, making a better offer than BAM's.

Nadzmi said BAM had earlier agreed to most of Joo Bong's requests and the Korean had verbally agreed on the salary package (which is believed to be around RM40,000 a month).

Joo Bong had said he would make a final decision after the Hong Kong Open on Nov 20-25 where Nadzmi will be going to meet the former Olympic champion.

"The ball is in Joo Bong's court. We have made an offer which he agreed to. We also accepted most of the additional requests he made and we were almost quite certain that he would sign the contract.

"I was surprised with the latest developments after Joo Bong was said to have received an offer from Japan," said Nadzmi.

"The council still agrees that we want him as our national director of coaching. Our position is very clear that we will maintain the same offer that has been initially made and it is entirely up to him to make a decision.

"There will be no counter offer from us as I don't feel it's ethical. We have already given him an official offer letter and it will remain."

According to reliable sources, Joo Bong was supposed to have come to Kuala Lumpur on Friday to meet Nadzmi and sign a four-year contract.

However, Joo Bong cancelled the trip and also missed Lee Chong Wei and Wong Mew Choo's wedding dinner at Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre yesterday.

However, former Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia and China head coach Li Yongbo came yesterday for the wedding.

President of equipment giant Yonex, Ben Yoneyama, South Korea head coach Kim Jong Soo and former and current national shuttlers attended the wedding.

Chong Wei's close friend, Lin Dan of China, was a notable absentee due to his involvement in the China Super League while Peter Gade Christensen of Denmark was also unable to attend due to personal reasons.

Read more: No counter offer for Joo Bong - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badmin...3Dn63Frea-rti3D19.3D163D03eddin#ixzz2BzPiTb3b

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc

Joo Bong,
    He may be a good coach but a real man he is not. Perhaps his mercenary side is salivating at even more money. Now what happens if BAM were to improve on the new improved Japan offer? Wii he go back to Japan to again ask for more?
    A real gentleman is one who should stick to his word.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It doesnt say that PJB is either considering, or has accepted the Japan Association's counter-offer. So its possible we are just jumping the gun here...

5. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    I shudder at the thought of Nadzmi sitting in that BWF big chair, throwing darts into his dart board.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This is irrelevant because what he is doing is simply unethical. Even if he should accept BAM's offer this will leave a bad taste in the mouth. Perhaps it will be better to let him go....and his reputation as an honorable gentleman will then be a dishonor he will never shake off the rest of his life.

7. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    PJB is going to make a final decision after hongkong open nov 20-25

and until he makes that decision its still not too late

to say he changes his mind coming to malaysia because of a higher offer.

Till then hold your horses otherwise you are creating a bad name for PJB :D

8. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

I've read somewhere he said there's still some unfinished business in Malaysia. . .I wonder if it is true

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Actually it's March 2013 as PJB's current contract with Japan is till then. So, before he signs on the dotted line...he can still consider, and consider and consider....;);)

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I think you have missed the real issue here.
    PJB had already agreed to BAM's offer and on enhanced terms he demanded. So that so called counter offer from Japan should be void unless PJB has no qualms about going back on his word.
    As a man and a man of high moral integrity he should have upheld his earlier agreement to BAM and be not swayed by other offers.
    Now, what would other associations think of him?

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, legally speaking that is what all lawyer burohs will advise. But an agreement, even if verbal, is binding on the two contracting parties. However, in practice if one party wants out then let it be.
    Again, we are talking about ethics here, and the worth of a man's name and reputation.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Now, why would that be necessary?

13. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    No, not consider but something to do with his unfinished business here. IMHO if Nazmi cannot assure him and make him comfortable with the offer letter, i don't think he is going to sign the dotted line. He was here before so its a good guess he knows quite a lot about the system etc etc.My guess is, he wants to be here because he still sees Malaysia potential to return as one of the power house for badminton. :) :D

14. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Let's just say PJB is careful this time :D

And really we have no idea what they are negotiating about

or what are the exact offer in that letter :eek: :D

Do you? :D

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Phew......

[h=1]Goh episode forces BAM into decisive action[/h]

[​IMG]
    KUALA LUMPUR: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) will do everything in their power to prevent a talent drain after Penang’s gifted Goh Jin Wei was nearly pinched by Singapore.
    The 12-year-old Jin Wei, touted as a future women’s singles star, was offered a tempting package with the promise of a place in the Singapore national team and a scholarship up to university.
    Jin Wei’s mother had been on the verge of signing the contract but a few state and BAM officials managed to coax her out of it. Losing Jin Wei (pic) would have been a big blow as Malaysia are desperately short of quality women’s singles players.
    The youngster has beaten players older than her on the junior circuit and is seen as a potential successor to former international Wong Mew Choo.
    No one has been able to fill the void since Mew Choo retired last year.
    BAM general manager Kenny Goh said they knew of Singapore’s interest in Jin Wei.
    “We are aware of Singapore’s strategy to secure foreign players to strengthen their badminton programme but it came as a surprise that our shuttlers – Jin Wei specifically – had been approached,” said Kenny.
    “They are making irresistible offers. We can’t stop them from doing it but we must safeguard the interests of our juniors and the nation.
    “We know that Jin Wei has been officially approached and we don’t want others to be tempted in the same way.”
    The matter was discussed at the recent BAM council meeting and the association has been given the mandate to come up with attractive offers to ensure that the juniors stay in Malaysia.
    “Parents always want the best for their children. A good career in badminton and a scholarship to pursue their studies at a good university are ideal offers ... we will look into similar deals for our juniors,” said Kenny.
    Jin Wei currently trains at the state training centre but is expected to move to the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) next year so that she will get quality training together with the nation’s top juniors.
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/11/16/sports/12326615&sec=sports

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    if u dont want others to be tempted in the same way
    there is 2 possibility
    1,they are not good enough to be tempted by singapore
    2,bam and bjss is great enough to let player ignore any tempting from singapore.
    i dont think bam and bjss can hit target number 2
    so whoever is not in category number 1,;)

17. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Yes Singapore is doing the right thing because

they are shortage of badminton hard working kids :D

Almost all parents emphasize on a good education first

and their education system is top notch :)

A tutor for every 4 or 5 baddy players!

What do anyone expect more than that?

Maybe BAM can stop the top talent in Malaysia from such pinching

but not the 2nd 3rd or 4th ....

And a top under 12 kid doesn't guarantee

he or she will be a world champion later.

Science can tell us :D

#1117 pBmMalaysia, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    For PJB, it may be a case of once bitten, twice shy. If it were me, although all my demands were promised, hard reality may differ.

Money can be a temptation. Let's put it this way, PJB has a successful programme going, built it up, got players along the line - we can see the success he's had but mainly in women's doubles. Not heard any problems in decision making nor lifestyle.

On the other hand get paid more, no decision making autonomy, players may be big headed but badminton is a bigger sport than in Japan.

Now if the pay differential is made closer, then it is easily possible that he may stay.

Tannepak talks about ethics - BAM is a company. History tells us a top coach cannot get the respect there, not have autonomy, not transparent .... Meaning a coach can only assume he is there for the short term.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The Singapore story is very good. It's a great incentive for a parent to send their child to Singapore. If I were the parent, I would ask Singapore to hold open the offer for another 2 years and reassess the situation. A sports scholarship in singapore is something special to consider.

Singapore also has many Malaysians, is a short plane trip to Penang, has a lot of the same food (though not as tasty).

The best thing is that BAM gets a wake up call that they are not the only option for promising malaysian youngsters. If BAM doesn't get their act sorted out, somebody will do some of it for them but not for BAM's sake.

20. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    I like that - " ..... a wake up call " :)

If those guys in BAM, BJSS and MOE don't change their system in recruiting talents

they will soon lose out to Singapore.

Mind you Singapore has a good coaching program

and now they have former great Luan Jin as their head coach :)

Let me share one recent incident here about this year under 12 talent scouting.

14 players for each boys and girls category were identified from the whole nation for a final selection

and best 6 will be chosen to enter BJSS.

Every year BJSS and MOE people goes down to each and every state to supposedly "scout" for talents :D.

This year something happens, one particular player from a particular state was spotted by one of the BJSS coach

and coach call the parents he would like to put him in the 14 players list for the final selection.

Everybody happy, the parents, the state association and the coach

but that happiness was short lived :D

When the parent calls MOE for further instruction and to register his kid,

he was shocked he couldn't,

the 14 players name listed was already confirmed way before the talent scouting finishes across the nation!

Surprise? :D

Here's even more!

Their air tickets, accommodation etc etc were all ready!

The worst part was even the parent offer to pay own expenses for the final selection, he was not allowed:p

So you readers tell me am i correct to say too many cooks spoil the soup? :D

#1120 pBmMalaysia, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012