Li Ning Strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Ferrerkiko, Nov 6, 2009.

1. relandwong

relandwong Regular Member

Student
    Have you tried out AP101N & AP90? How is it? Nice? I'm changing to either one of them too.

2. relandwong

relandwong Regular Member

Student
    So have you tried AP101N & AP90? How is it? Nice? I'm changing to either one of them.

3. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Li Ning string

Li ning AP 90 is also good , use by china team, but is not selling in Malaysia & Singapore.
    So AP 90, is also good to use.

4. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

As far as I can tell, the most popular Li Ning string used by the LN sponsored Chinese National players now use NS70, NS30 and NS95.

The cost of one pack of NS70 is very similar to BG80 while NS95 costs similar to BG80P. NS30 is similarly priced as BG65. A review here.

5. Blitzzards

Having further tested the strings, I am finding the following observations:

NS-30 is actually thinner than the specified 0.70mm diameter. It could be because it really measures 0.70mm untensioned which in other words if measured tensioned (ala Yonex strings) then it would most likely measure 0.67mm similar to BG85 or AP90. In my experience with it the string is very similar to BG85 but with the 'oomph' of BG80. Good in control and power with a sharp and crispy impact feel, more so then specified on the package. The yellow version feels more explosive on impact compared to the white version. It is also used by most of the national Chinese players (whom you can see using a yellow string such as Lin Dan, Chen Long, Xu Chen etc.)

Pretty cheap also considering the performance. It also reminds me of BG66Sharp at almost half of the price now more than NS-70

NS-70 yellow requires both manual and electronic pre-stretch if you want it to hold it's tension for good due to the physically very slightly thicker diameter compared to the white version. Unlike NS-30, this string feels thicker than the specified 0.68mm and in my experience is more 0.69mm in diameter. Otherwise it has a big nice 'oomph' on impact feel even though it does not feel as crispy as NS-30 at any tension due to the thickness. It feels to me that it has more maximum capable power than NS-30 while having on par repulsion.

The white NS-70 feels slightly more crispy than the yellow and is probably similar to NBG99 while costing lower at BG80 price while having similar and almost better durability.

6. Sunisup

Sunisup New Member

Human resource
    Hi, I just wanna clear some doubts. Strung my racket with 66um with 25.5lbs for about 7weeks ago but tension has drop since the 3rd week. Now it feels dam crappy. Just wanna know whether can I string it with AP62+ with 24x26 with 4 knots? Just wanna know whether this is possible coz I don't wanna make the tension drop so fast. Some idea plz n Tq : )

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Ordered some NS30 for a tournament next week - review to follow.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

NS30 review

Revelation prototype (full woven) - 31 lb ECP w/ hand prestretch.

Impressions

Been waiting a while for this one - reputed to be "iron hard". Surface is similar to BG65Ti, but less pliant and greasy - looks to be a pretty stiff coating. I could only get it in blue, but it's a nice blue. Bit expensive over here, though, and I can't seem to find it on the reel.

Stringing

Gave me almost nothing on the hand prestretch, the least amount of creep I have ever seen in a badminton string. The WISE reached the target tension noticeably quicker as well. Colour me impressed.

Play

Power - 8/10

Hits very well off the centre of the bed, on par with BG65Ti. The sound is very high and compact for a 0.70 as well - I'm also testing some 0.69 Gosen at 31, and the Li Ning sounds 3 lb tighter at least.

It is noticeably more work than 65Ti, though, and less tolerant of slower swings.

Feel - 9/10

Exactly what I was hoping for: absolutely electric. My very first hit made me stop and take stock - I thought I'd picked up a BG80 racket by accident. I'm used to 0.70 strings being muted, or dead, but this stuff... ye gods. It felt like cherry bombs going off in my hand.

Control - 9/10

The bed is like a frying pan when you need it to be. Smash blocks come off it like they would off a brick wall. Placement is very good indeed - a tight bed combined with reasonable slice potential (and a distinct lack of Ti grease) means the shuttle will go where you want it.

Tension holding - 8/10

Sound barely dropped all night. I was expecting this given how it behaved during stringing.

Can't comment on durability after one session, and I usually end up cutting my strings to make way for the next test set, but at 0.70 I'm not worried about it going any time soon.

The only fly in the ointment is the price - came in at about £6.50 after shipping in UK, and I could only find it in one place. If anybody has a line on reels, I would be happy to hear about it, but six-fifty a set is way too rich compared to Yonex stuff.

An excellent string for the high-tension "feel" player, IMHO:).

9. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    The places I've looked Yonex stuff seems to be about that price as well :(

Obviously looking in the wrong places, unless you are working it out based off reel price.

I might be interested in the NS30 if someone knows a place to get reels at a decent price.

10. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    Can't even get reels directly from Li-Ning UK. I knew they weren't on the site, but I emailed them and they can't supply them apparently. :confused:

11. Blitzzards

I am glad to hear that you like it too, Mark ;)

If you would like to get it slightly cheaper.. Winston has told me that he can order it for about US4.50 each, but that that will have to be of a bulk order of 100 pieces..

12. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Blitzzards since you are also a N90 user, what is you current favorite string setup?

(I am formaly used NBG 98, BG 80 P but recently they break too fast, 1-3 sessions and they are gone, so i have to use bg 65 and nbg 95, 99 but i am not completely satisfied with them.. so i am looking for something new which gives me good power but also supports my net play.)

13. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Hey Blitzzards. Thanks for sharing your minds.
    Well, interestingly you've considered NS-70 as very similar to BG66S in your first review. In this second review you think NS-30 is very similar to BG66S. What now? :) Are NS-30 and NS-70 pretty similar or why do they both remember you of BG66S?

Unfortunately I don't know how BG66S feels. But I'd say VS850 is the crispiest string in the market. Which string of Li-Ning would you describe as crispiest string?

In the first review you described both strings as very repulsive.

How do you know if they (LD, CL, XC) are using NS-30? It could be NS-70 or NS-95 as well? Or any other string from another brand? :p

And the last question: From where did you get the strings?
    stringersworld.co.uk unfortunately does not have any yellow strings:eek:

EDIT: Oh now... You've written that NS-70 seems to have the same high tension loss like the VS850? :(

#153 Accordaz, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  14. Blitzzards

Personally I would choose NS-30 out of the three that I have reviewed here. It is just cheaper and has on par performance compared to the other two. Not to mention the awesome impact feel that even Mark is surprised at.

Yes sir, that is correct. NS-70 just seems to loose tension too quickly. Otherwise if I can get both NS-30 and NS-70 freshly strung at every game, both do feel similar to BG66S. However in the long run, NS-30 feels more akin to BG66S. Another similar string is Yonex BG80 Power. NS-30 is as Mark has also reviewed, extremely crispy on impact feel, maybe on par with VS850. I have not tried VS850 so Mark may have the better answer to this.

You can check here on what I found about LD's racquet string. From my observation CL and XC also seem to be using the same string with the same characteristics.

15. soulsync

soulsync Regular Member

Juz strung my MX80 with NS-30 Yellow @ 26/28. Will give it a go at tmrw game and see how it fairs. My strings with Li-Ning by far are AP62 and AP62+ only. Love the overall feeling but the downside - breaks easily even for AP62+ :p hope NS-30 can perform better in play and durability

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Comparing the two, the VS850 is the more "metallic", but they're both very, very direct.

The NS30 has already won the tension loss battle - I may be bumping my rating up to 9/10 after tomorrow because the note just refuses to drop.

Indeed - no other 0.70 has ever come close to this.

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    This is is quite interesting. I first tried the VS850 string after reading your review and loved it. However as many have said, it looses tension fast and with it, performance too quickly for my liking and so I've been nosing around for something that has the same qualities as VS850 (feel, sound, roughness, power) but without the massive tension loss.

If the LN NS30 is that string I've been searching for, then I'll give it a go. As a matter of interest, where are LN strings made?

I've compared BG80 with VS850 back to back, and find that whilst they have similar characteristics, BG80 feels harder and has less feel when compared to VS850. Never tried BG80P, might be closer to VS850? Anyone?

18. aiexrlder

aiexrlder Regular Member

tried BG80P having had BG80 and VS850 as favourites except the tension loss but BG80P is not as gripy/rough as the other two, it does retain tension a bit better i think but doesn't feel nice at all.

19. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Thanks Mark.

If you have time, I am (and pretty sure some members more) interested how the NS30 performs compared to THE Victor string VS-850 only. What does it / is better than the VS-850? And would you call it as a "better VS-850 by LN"?

The comparison is especially interesting because NS30 is 0.70 and VS850 0.68.

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

NS30 isn't as rough as BG80 or VS850 by any means, but it's definitely got more traction than, say, 65Ti or N95.

On balance, I would take NS30 over VS850 - the tension holding is in a different galaxy, and the durability should be better as well.

A couple of the early ones made me suspicious that Ashaway was their OEM, but now... not sure at all. Ashaway makes nothing close to NS30, so they may have their own fab these days.