Who will retire first; Lin Dan or Lee Chong Wei?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, May 18, 2010.

1. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

i think exception case for LD , he still has full burst of energy.
    his stamina is much more better than other players.
    therefore i dun think he will retire soon.

2. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    I don't think LD will retire until after 2012OG, but maybe XXF will get lonely...and things happen ;)...but I do think CHN will be able to let go of LD should he choose to retire...afterall, experience will make their juniors better...in the case of LCW, he might have to stick around like taufik, although if he garners enough money from winnings, I doubt he's going to play much longer...plus, he's definintely on the wrong end of his career by that time...time to pack it in and enjoy the coaching jobs =]

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    oh. the thread already exist. Good one. Good foresight.

LCW won 6 MO and TH won 6 IO. Longest feat by both perhaps? Lets see how it is next year who breaks the record. ;) LD got 4 CO. ;)

of course RH got 8 AE. ;)

4. volcom

volcom Regular Member

If this was the old scoring system, Gade etc would have already retired IMO :)

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I think LD will retire after 2012, LCW will keep going but is likely to be troubled by injuries due to style of play, however he will keep going after LD retires in search of a major title.

6. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    ld will still play if xxf allows him until 2012

unless something happens a long the way. lol

and its true lcw will go all out for another major or 2

7. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    "another" major? he hasn't won one yet?

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    he won all england but not olympic and world championship.

its every player's dream to win all when they have won 1!

9. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    ALl England is just a super series its not a major, it was the third/fourth level of importance this year

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

off topic:
    Personally, and i'm sure to a lot of people, the AE is one of the major tourneys if not the highest major tourney (i would even consider it higher in value than OG or WC) simply because it is the longest and most storied tourney in baddy history. The OG is relatively recent, but has its "importance" because it's held every 4 yrs; just the rarity value. The WC is also relatively recent, and used to be "important" because it was held every 3 yrs, then 2 yrs, similar in rarity value as the OG; but nowadays, to some players, the value is gone as it's been held yearly since 2006 (although there have been some mention recently of them holding the WC back to every 2 yrs).
    AG and CWG are the same with OG, in terms of its rarity, except they don't involve the rest of the world's top players; personally, i'd put them below AE, OG & WC...anyway, this discussion had been brought up and debated before and i think we should discuss it on a more appropriate thread..:cool:

As to the thread topic and question, i feel both will retire at the same time (more or less) after 2012. And from what i've read, both players have mentioned they are targeting after the 2012OG..

#30 ctjcad, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  11. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    The top nations do not try to peak for the AE, certain nations will even ask players to throw a match in the AE in order to qualify other players for bigger events :) This year the priorities would have been WC, Thomas Cup, Asian Games team and Asian Games Individual and the training program would revolve around those events. When Lin Dan retires they will list his OG, WC Golds, his Team event achievements, his weeks at no.1 ranking and how many overall titles he won in his career.

CWG games doesn't even deserve mentioning along side even SS events, I mean it doesn't even start until the semis and you get singles players winning doubles medals, LCW won it without really playing.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

off topic:
    ..because the AE is held yearly, while the other tourneys are not!;) Just like the WC is now held yearly, basically it has lost its value/prestige (even Sir Taufik chimed in abt it):cool:..

13. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    If you had said to the Malaysian coach at the start of the year LCW can win one of the WC, TC or Asian games but he won't win a SS event in 2010 he would have taken that immediately, as such, for all LCWs dominance on the circuit, this year has been a failure, he lost at WC, TC, and in both team and inidvidual at AG. Four biggest matches at major events, all lost. That is why he will go on longer in search of a major title. Knowing that he could not win the WC even when LD crashed will be particularly hard to overcome.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

off topic:
    - For LCW, i personally think the TC or any team events (incl. the AG team) are out of the question for him winning simply because the MAS team (overall, top to bottom) is not as strong as CHN. So, the likeliest tourneys for LCW to win this yr are the AE, WC and AG individual only (he took advantage of 1 but failed the other 2). If you're a M'sian or a LCW fan, just be glad he got the AE secured in his back pocket..:cool:
    - Yes, LCW losing this yr in the WC is hard to swallow esp. knowing LD also crashed and burned early. But, imo, LCW still has a chance to win the WC. It all comes down to how much he wants it and how much he's focused on getting it. Next yr, imo, is LCW's biggest chance as, imo, LD won't be focused on winning it; eventhough most likely it'll be LD's last chance at a WC before he retires.

#34 ctjcad, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Its not the comparison, no doubt, lcw is inferior to ld. Its just io and mo has been in the circuit for many years and it is an intimidating place for good players to win it. It's arguable that these two are just behind AE.

My view is for a true champion to get a respect, they should win all. My guess for now is the book is not closed as yet. Both LCW and LD still have opportunities to win it.

Maybe LCW still can win all the tournament which LD won. Only time will tell. But of course LD now is the best of the lots. ;)

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

off topic:
    ..winning the OG, WC, AE and AG not enough for you mah??..still expecting more and putting more pressure mah?..:eek:;)

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It is better to win one of every tournament, than to win all from a few tournaments

IMHO, it is better to win one of every tournament, than to win all from a few tournaments. ;););)

18. volcom

volcom Regular Member

IMHO it's better to win in most countries regardless of tournaments :)
    Like LD who has won in KL and in Jakarta although they were the World Championship and Thomas Cup's

instead of the usual Malaysian Open and Indonesian Open.

19. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei will really be hoping he can win one in China as it does not seem a very happy hunting ground for him ;)
    from losing to BCL in 2007, LD in 2008, Jan O Jorgensen in 2009...

Has he the chance to finally rectify that this year? We await patiently :)

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

I don't think he will participate anymore international tournaments in china again this year;)