High tension and Hairpin techniques

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by indyko, Sep 7, 2008.

1. indyko

indyko Regular Member

Recently, I increased tension of my string. It is 30lbs. I feel very good smashing power with this tension and I can do a slow but precise push and the birdie goes to the corner as I intended. Clear is good, also.

The problem is hairpin. I can not do the same hairpin. I usually slid my racket just under the net closely and often the bird flew over the net quite smoothly. But with high tension, it is either high (so it can be pushed) or low (so it doesn't go over the net).

I've tried some new technique I've found. The racket goes in steeper angle and when the bird hit the string bed, gently but quickly move upper the string bed so that it can be flew over the net.

It gives a spin to the bird and it doesn't matter which tension my racket has (once I master it). Since it does not use the bounce of the racket.

Is this a right technique and a recommended technique?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'm not entirely sure what technique you're describing. I think you're talking about some kind of cutting/slicing/chopping action, which is a more advanced technique than the simple push/bounce.

If you're getting spin on your net shots, that's a good thing. :) The more spin the better, provided you can still control the shot.

3. indyko

indyko Regular Member

I think no professional player do use the technique. It is kind of a slicing action but professionals slice a birdie from left to right or from right to left. But what I've seen was kind of ... bottom to top slicing and I think it's very hard to master it. It is like brushing a shuttle slightly with a racket to the upper direction (surely it can not be done if a shuttle is already fallen enough from a net). The upward brushing action seems not to be a generally used one.

Thank you for the advice. I will practice and try to spin it more.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Is this with the racket head above or below the level of the hand?

Sounds like rather a strange shot.

5. huynd

huynd Regular Member

A hairpin net shot, using a slice-into-the-net action is quite common from what I've seen. Taufik is really a master of this type of shot, but almost every professional player uses it as well. I think your shot is a variation of this slice-into-the-net, but you may simply choose a different contact point. If it works then go on :).

OTOH if you can play a decent hairpin consistently, with a 30lb stringbed, then it is pretty impressive. With higher tension, the contact time is so short so it's difficult for your opponent to guess which shot you're going to play. The downside of this is, the timing must be very good, otherwise the shuttle can go 20cm above the net and you know what comes next.

6. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

The "secret" is keeping a very very very limp wrist and fingers...there is also the slight upward curl at the end which keeps the shuttle from going out of bounds...good luck

7. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAhQj6XmWEo

What Peter Gade tells you is that you should move the racket outwards NOT inwards towards the shuttle as most people do. With this action I have experienced that I can now place the shutlle close to the with great precision. But for me it only works close to the net.

Doing a U-shape never worked for me, even thought it is a widespread technique.

8. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Moving the racket inwards is a different shot used when you are not rushed...the hairpin only works well when moving sideways to reach the shuttle when it is (6" or less) close to the top of the net...this is not a U movement....only a slight curl at the end and even then it depends on how close to the line you want to get...if you are a meter away from the line then you dont use the curl and let the shuttle fall towards the line...We are all talking about the slight variations of the same basic shot...:)