Best Badminton player ever (doubles / mixed doubles)

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by NovaW, Feb 18, 2014.

1. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    That was when tony decided to 'retire' and sigit&candra decided to split...

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haha yeah and thats the only time he ever won a MD title :D come on, be serious for once...Tony was a great player as well, but neither outshone the other, really...and since this isnt about the best player at the net exclusively, I'd pick the three I mentioned over Tony for their better all-court play. It's pretty damn close, but it's only my personal opinion anyway....the only 'objective' way to compare them would be the number of titles, and that isnt remotely accurate as some titles are more important than others and some players chose to focus on certain events, skipping others in the process (such as Cai/Fu leading up to the 2012 OG, for example)...
    Let's agree to disagree on this one, in my book TG can't quite compete with KDM, while it's the other way round in your opinion, and both have their Olympic Gold, All England title and a whole lot more to their name...

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: Tony Gunawan and Kim Dong Moon.

That's why I was very careful earlier in this thread to say TG edges KDM in men's doubles and for all round men's doubles and mixed together, Kim Dong Moon reigns.

Hahahaha

4. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    robertson probably ranks as one of the best european players but not in the top ten list here. zheng bo, huge smashes that's all. KKK....not disciplined enough in his play. Asian players dominate the list, how about, who are the best european MD and XD players?

5. kirana

kirana Regular Member

Well, my choice of best badminton player is Tony Gunawan, he/Halim defeated Kim Dong Moon and Ha Tae Kwon in the final of 2001 World Champion and the score for the first set is 15-0:eek: you read it correctly, it's 15-0 and Kim/Ha was the previous winner of World Champion.:D

The youtube video can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CntXXNpu1WI&list=UUp-oix_1iZCdNojtFjTMxFQ

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yes. I watched that match live on TV and it made great viewing. Unfortunately, one fantastic match doesn't make the grade. Halim was in the zone for that game.

And unfortunately, Tony didn't play much mixed doubles. (Already mentioned this before).

7. kirana

kirana Regular Member

Hmm, Tony Gunawan won 3 prestigious titles with 3 different partners, Olympic Gold Medal with Chandra, and winner of 2 world champions with 2 different partners (Howard Bach and Halim) and all of their opponents in finals are world class players. It just too bad Tony's life span in competitive badminton is considered short compared to the rest of great players, for me this make the grade and obviously it is more than one fantastic match, anyway, we agree to disagree:D

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Setiawan and Tony are the best, no doubt.

I also think Cai Yun is better than LYD.

Hopefully, Zhang Nan can join this list a few year from now.

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I think you misunderstood, it's not that TG wasn't a great player or only had one great match, the point was that he only won one match so clearly, and that one can't argue he was better than KDM because of that one match (if that was the case, we'd have a whole lot of world's best players because everyone lost a match at one point...:D).

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Exactly...and which of those partners he had were female? :rolleyes:

Tony is my favourite men's doubles player ... :)

But let's see:

Kim Dong Moon has 2 Olympic Gold medals with 2 different partners and 3 World championships with different partners.

Playing any opponent at that level is always world class!

To be honest, I don't really want to get into number of titles and splitting margins. We have enough trollers who try to stir things up like that.

Simply speaking, the margins are tight but Tony concentrated on Men's Doubles and Kim split between Men's doubles and Mixed doubles. You could also argue what if Kim just stayed with Men's doubles and what if Tony didn't have that break. There is always a what if

#30 Cheung, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  11. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    And need to consider who KDM's partner was. Ha Tae Kwon is good, but not great. Halim is a much better all round MD player. To be fair, we can only compare KDM and TG if KDM/KDM play TG/TG.

12. kirana

kirana Regular Member

Sure, not interested to become one of the trollers;) I respect your opinion and like I said before, I agree to disagree:cool: Respect to all of the great badminton players, well, all of them:)

13. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

Lcw and LD is the most great MD xD

14. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Why wasting time on an endless debate. It is like asking who is the best woman? Of course everyone's current partner.