P. V. Sindhu पुसर्ला वेन्कटा सिन्धु

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by cobalt, Jun 20, 2011.

1. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    I totally agree with you 'routing' is a strong and an exaggerated term to use as she won it in three games and on top of that look at the margin she lost the second game... We dont need to get excited by just one win and get ahead of ourselves. We need to wait and see how will play against a Chinese player who is in her element. LXR's defeat can attributed to post olympic drop in focus and motivation levels as she has already achieved the ultimate. And also she wasn't training that hard after the OG which is quite understandable after gold medal win. But we cant take any thing away from Sindhu for winning this match because even with the dropped levels of focus a player of LXR's caliber its a difficult task to beat her. Only a top ten player can do that. Sindhu totally deserves to be in top 10 by the year end which I was skeptical about earlier as she had many flaws in her game. She has improved immensely and still needs to cover few areas. Once she addresses those flaws she'll become unbeatable mainly because of her frame. Its really a mouth watering prospect to see how she'll fare against WYH.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sindhu,well done,keep it up! Even Li YB has sit up and taken notice of you. He is reported to have said that you:

1) definitely have the potential vis-a-vis the CHN WS;

2) possess the physical attributes, specifically height and reach;

3) are equipped with the skills, movement ability (good court coverage) and agility -

to become an outstanding player.

He also said he is putting you on his radar screen and that you are the bright spot among the foreign players in this CHN Masters 2012 tournament.

Such compliments coming from a very capable, highly successful and insightful Head Coach is not to be taken lightly, a recognition of Sindhu's future prospects. Personally, I've no doubt you would soon outperform your established senior, Saina.

3. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    wow....great going girl...but looks like she is still having trouble with turning and her backhand is a bit weak......as everybody would analyse her now....she would be having more difficulty in her matches from now on....but I would really love to see if she can get into the top 10 by this year's end as she said in the interview with suetyan

4. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

PV Sindhu, Sameer Verma pull out of World Junior Badminton Championships

In a major setback to India’s chances, rising stars PV Sindhu and Sameer Verma have withdrawn from the World Junior Badminton Championships to be held in Chiba, Japan, from October 25 to November 3. While Sindhu picked up a knee injury at the Super Series event in China last month, Verma hurt his ankle.
    “Sindhu won’t be participating. She hurt her knee in China and Japan and played with the injury at the senior nationals in Srinagar. She then got an MRI done the doctor advised her to take some rest,” said chief national coach P Gopichand, who is also the 17-year-old’s mentor. Verma, also 17, had lost in the semifinals of the same event last year, in Taipei.

more info:http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/repor...-world-junior-badminton-championships_1752060

5. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    I can't understand why she had played the nationals with an injury......

6. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

A short interview with P.V. Sindhu

You just beat the World No. 2 Li Xuerui at the China Masters. What was your approach during the match against Xuerui that helped you beat her comfortably?
    I just went normally into the court thinking that I have to give my 100 percent and gave my best and won against her, and so I am pretty happy about that.

How disappointing was it to lose the final at the National Championships?
    I was disappointed. But I couldn’t help it as I had knee pain and was not able to give my 100 percent.

Has the pressure increased on you ever since you beat Li Xuerui at the China Masters?
    Nothing like pressure but winning against her was really a big achievement for me till now
    Your landmark win has suddenly made you the focus of everyone’s attention. Are you comfortable being in the spotlight? Do you enjoy the increased attention, or would you prefer that the media left you alone?
    Yes, I am comfortable and I enjoy it. The media also supported me a lot and I am happy with it.

What do you think makes the Chinese so dominating in badminton? Do you think your win against the Xuerui is a sign of this domination coming to an end?
    The Chinese players are really strong but it’s not like no one can beat them. On that day, the player who plays well and gives her best is the winner.

Do you think badminton as a sport has developed as well as it should in India?
    Yes, Badminton as a sport has really developed well in India, and I would wish that it develops more and more.
    Saina Nehwal has become the torch-bearer for the game in India. Has her success made things easier for new players, or have the increased expectations because of her success made things tougher?
    It’s not a matter of easier or tougher, but she and her success have become a inspiration for many players and youngsters too.
    Aside from Saina, did you have any role models growing up?
    Yes I do, a girl from Chinese Taipei named Tai Tzu Ying. She is not like exactly a role model for me, but she is really playing well and has a good game.

Read more: http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/10/...p-10-interview-with-p-v-sindhu/#ixzz29N2SGyx6

#186 rajat_remar, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I viewed Sindhu's match against LXR a few days ago. Frankly, I think she won through a combination of daring play and fortuitous points by herself, and some incredibly pedestrian play by LXR. It was for the most part, LXR's match to lose, and she made sure she did. The Indian media of course, went into raptures as expected. :D

Having said that, I was really impressed by the way she took JYJ to the wire. It was all there: guts, and the determination of a young girl to win if she had to, but on her terms. The final 5-6 points of the match said it all. Well played, Sindhu, at the China Masters; not the QF, but the SF!

Of course, she had no business trying for another National title if she was already injured. I do believe Gopi must be very cautious with allowing his top wards to play when carrying any injury. India does not as yet possess a depth of strong players at the international level. And Sindhu is too precious a talent to take chances with. She still needs to work on her strength.

And she needs to work on her technique. And footwork. She is learning at the top international level that her so-called greatest asset, her height can also very quickly become her achilles heel. Repeatedly caught short at the net; out of position; wrong-footed in mid-court; tentative when reading the shape of the opponent; tangled in defense to body smashes. And of course, her backhand! :(

A lot of people may bemoan her shot selection, or allow it as the impetuosity of youth, as GC would say. I think GC is right: shot selection will sort itself out if her technique and footwork become second nature. She's doing pretty well overall: a year ago, she was ranked 76, today she's 21 (rank, not age! :D )

I think she should be made to stop playing National tournaments, and made to focus only on international tournaments . This will allow her to sharpen her skills against better opponents, and keep improving. It will also allow her to study the shape and skills of players from different schools and styles, and this will help her hugely in the years to come. If she does this now, she will have a head-start on most girls 3-4 years from now. If she, Gopi and the rest of her team do it right and smart starting now, I believe she can be a very strong bet for gold in 2016. This, despite the fact that she's now locked on LYB's radar! :D

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

Really a good player. Out of those 9000 views for that youtube video containing sindhu's play against Li xuerui, 200 are from myself.. Ha ha.. She did not even allow Li to come near her in the third game. That is fantastic play. Even though she has many drawbacks in her techniques when the opponent pushes shuttle to her lefthand corner or playing round head shots etc. Her deceptive shots are good. Her half smashes are excellent. And net play is beautiful. She has to correct her mistakes and come soon as a full fledged player. I wish her all the success in life. Even saina fighted hard to beat li, this young girl finished easily. Fantabulous :)

9. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    no actually,not only her but even saina might also be playing in the nationals from next year as they were made compulsory by BAI citing that even LCW plays in nationals....

10. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Playing in nationals of these players should be good. Anyways what surprises me is the lack of participation of these players in lets say Bitburger Open where in Sindhu and Kashyap have good chance of earning easy ranking points, they need to maintain their ranks to be able to appear in SS and SSP, and they are just about there for now in terms of points + that could provide good match practise as well, Not participating in Den open too was surprising to me if they are fit. The reason of less particiapation as far as I can think are only get a shield from exposure and rest/prepare for big tournaments coming up... which I think is absurd at this level as even if she has a certain flaws she anyways has time to get through them + at this age she cant be asking for rest should she? is there anything else I might be missing here?

#190 gopalprasad, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I believe Sindhu picked up an injury at the Japan Open (knee or ankle...) and tried to play the nationals in that condition, but had to rest immediately after to prevent the injury from gettng much worse...

12. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Yes. Knee injury. I was quite disheartened to hear this as if it's a serious ligament injury, it will keep on recurring. Hope its not that serious. Are these professional guys aware of customized orthotics? They can really make difference in their lives and game.

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Serious ligament injury?.. OMG...

i hope she recovers soon to participate in china open 2012

14. paroxysmal

Yes
    No..I meant to say if its ligament injury, its not good. Lets hope its just a sprain or something.

15. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    now that both saina and sindhu are playing in the upcoming li ning china ss and honkong ss, i hope both of them will not fall in the same half of the draw. It will be good to see them playing some fantastic matches against the other talented players of the world :)

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Better to hear that both the indian prodigies going to play china open and Hong kong open .. But i have one doubt. If anybody else who can clear my doubt, i will be grateful to them.. I have heard that in the senior nationals, that some other girl won against sindhu in the finals.. If she was able to win sindhu, then why not she come and participate in international arena.. Why OLYMPICS QUEST is not taking steps to send such a kind of players.. Only if you send, we can see how far she is doing in international arena.. Because, if sindhu is able to beat Li xuerui, why not this girl if upsetting some other top women's players.. Pllll.. Anybody else to clear my doubt?..

17. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    BWF only makes sure that players from same countries wouldnt face each other in the first round and then its all luck of the draw :)

18. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    If I have an off day you can beat me that doesnt means I really deserve it, yeah Sayali is also a talented player but shes 25 years already so not much time for her to be presented in the senior circuit, as in the sense of sponsorship and all that. Badminton aint a cheap sports after all and there are very few sponsorship deals available, We wish OGQ can provide players with facilities but they ahave very limited resource, when you have scarcity of resource you cant risk it you know you give it to the most deserving players so thats it OGQ can support very few badminton players and they are doing their bit. SN was injured during India Open and being a Top-10 player if she withdrew she would have needed to pay a fine of 5K USD. Can you imagine she still played the tourney. Even a player of SN calibre is getting sponsorship just recently before that she was all alone, if you read her parents struggle you would bow in respect. SN could have other reasons to play for the fans in India Open though but even for a player of Wang Xin an amount of 5K USD as penalty was shocking. Lin Dan was thinking of a temp retirement for 6 months just to avoid some 20K USD as fine... You can imagine when I am talking about the Top players in the world how others would be faring... For a sportsperson, the life is too short, You need to have talent, be consistent, show zeal, do the hard work, get results day in and day out and find a sponsor if everything falls for you then you can go ahead or else... its Life...

19. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    + I forgot to add only Top 32 players can participate in the Gold and upward events before that to become one among the Top 32 you need to be consistent, earn ranking points by playing in the tier 2 and tier 3 competitions where everybody else who are equal to you in terms of technique are also participating... And a country also wants just a restricted number of top players in the Top of the world for the other countries also to be able to play hence you see just a restricted no. of CHN players in the Top, If they allow whoever they wish to there could be a flood of CHN players you know and badminton could be restricted to just a CHN vs CHN or a lone or two players from ROW which may also make others lose interest and it could become a one country game which would be very bad for badminton as a sport CHN can do that since there system is quite different & their players are selfless which can act in their collective favour :) Definitley for the rest of the world its not even game if that happens...

#199 gopalprasad, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  20. paroxysmal

Yes
    Sayali Gokhale is a good player. But Sindhu was injured. She shouldn't have played that tournament at first place. Even Arundhati Pantawane stretched Sindhu to 3 games, whom Sindhu could have beaten easily. Sayali said in the interview that she knew Sindhu wasn't 100%.

Players like Arundhati have been playing all major superseries qualifiers along with Sindhu. They didnt win and Sindhu did on regular basis. Thats why she gets direct entry in most of the draws, without playing qualifiers.