Will the MX-JJS be suitable for me?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Tsuioku, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

Hi All,

I'm an high beginner/low intermediate doubles player that plays at least once a week and thinking about getting a new racket since I'm starting to find my current racket a tad sluggish when playing against better players. A bit more power will also be great but not necessary. After reading around, I'm currently thinking of picking up a 3U MX-JJS.
    Unfortunately I don't know anybody that owns the MX-JJS. Do you think it will be suitable me? Any other suggestions?

Some info about me...
    Current Racket: SOTX Woven 10i strung with NBG98 @ 26lbs (94g, 41g head, 298mm bp)
    Style: All Round
    Level: Advanced beginner/Low Intermediate
    Game: Doubles

Tested Rackets...
    4U VT80 - Flex feels good and great power. Decent control and defense.
    4U BS11 - Feels a bit too flexible. When timed properly, power feels decent. Good medial defense and decent lateral defense.
    3U MX70 - Feels a bit too stiff. Great overall control and defense.

Personal Ranking...
    Power: VT80 > W10i > MX70 > BS11
    Control: MX70 > BS11 > VT80 ~ W10i
    Medial Defense: BS11 > MX70 > VT80 ~ W10i
    Lateral Defense: MX70 > BS11 > VT80 > W10i
    Stiffness: MX70 > W10i > VT80 > BS11

2. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

Only you can say if a racket is suitable for you ..... Go test it out

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Your racket specs, is that with string plus overgrip?

4. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

Yes it does...

5. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

MX JJS is as stiff as MX 70, maybe slightly stiffer from what I've read. So if you're struggling with MX 70 then why not try MX 60 instead? I used to have a MX 60 and it's very easy to use while still having a similar feel to MX 80/JJS/London.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

if mx70 stiffness is too much then JJS wont suit you. Maybe look at tk6000 or mx60 instead.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

I have all three MX80, 70, and JJS in 4U. And the stiffness rating is 80>70>JJS. Their dry wts and head wts are within +/- 0.2 g of each other.

For your purpose, you'd probably want a JJS that is low 3U. But then JJS is discontinued and may be difficult to source. The 90 may be another good candidate. And as amleto mentioned, the TK6000 4U has been very well received.

#7 visor, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  8. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Concur with visor. Based on experience, both MX-JJS n TK-6ooo r wonderful rackets. MX-JJS is designed for all-round play. TK-6ooo stands for power. Have no prob using it for all-round play though.

Aside frm those two, may want to consider MX-90 n VT70.

9. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

Guess I should clarify a bit... I played with the MX70 fine just that I would prefer something a little less stiff so that I can stay relaxed in a game. I played ~3 back to back games with the MX70 no problem. It wasn't until the 4th-5th game that I started to lose power but that may be due to the weight as well.
    I borrowed my friend's MX70 again quickly and the specs were 98.2g (41.9g head) with a bp of 298mm (overgrip and string included).

Between the 70 & JJS, how do they compare in power and defense?

The TK6000 was actually a very close second... The JJS won mainly because the TK6000 gave me the impression that defense wise it would be similar to the VT80 (due to its headheaviness).

What I'm essentially looking for is racket with defense similar to the MX70 but a little less stiff and a bit more power and the JJS seemed to fit the bill.

#9 Tsuioku, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  10. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, JJS being slightly flexier feels more powerful and has better defence.

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

12. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=31680]amleto[/MENTION]

Hmmm, I did didn't I... Tks for pointing it out. Having played with the JJS recently past 2 weeks since my XP70 strings were gone, it certainly felt like JJS is only a tad stiffer than XP70. Haven't played with MX70 for a while, will do that next week to see if I need to correct myself. :)

13. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

Let me know the results...
    On another note, how does the XP70 compare to the JJS power and defense wise?

If the JJS ends up stiffer, going to see if I can get my friend to track down an XP70 when he goes back to TW.

14. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO the MX JJS won't suit you. That BS11 feels to flexible can't be compared to a 4U VT80 and 3U MX70?:confused: There is something totally wrong. IMO you don't need a new racket. You need training and once the week is too less to get better quickly. It's normal that you struggle against better player, but it's not your racket. There is a german saying: "If the farmer can't swim it must be the trunks."

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If the MX70 is too stiff then, IMHO, the JJS will be as well - I'd put them neck-and-neck as far as stiffness goes.

16. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I read that bs11 and mx60 are similar flex wise.

Can I ask here how XP70 compares to jjs? I'm enjoying it so far and dbswansea and I would both like to know.

17. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

Care to clarify what's wrong? The BS11, VT80 and MX70 were rackets I was able to readily borrow from friends to try out so didn't really have a choice when it came to weight. Power-wise, a 4U BS11 is definitely not a fair comparison but I was testing more for defense and stiffness and since both the BS11 and MX70 were rated 4/5 by Victor, I thought it may be an ok comparison of the two series.

The racket that I was able to test the most with was the MX70 which I played with for three sessions and defense was night and day compared to my existing racket. Against the same opponents that I had trouble with, I was easily able to defend and throw in some deflections instead of just lifting. Misses were typically due to swinging too early.

Definitely agree that lessons will be most beneficial but I mainly play recreationally and still recovering from an injury...

#17 Tsuioku, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  18. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=13198]Tsuioku[/MENTION] [MENTION=96435]DuckFeet[/MENTION]

For the exact same specs, ie wt, bp, and head wt, XP70 is slightly flexier and easier to use than JJS. JJS would have more penetrating smashes, whereas XP70 would be better defending and fast driving.