Impact of LYD & KKJ's ban

Discussion in '2014 Tournaments' started by Arsene Lupin, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Arsene Lupin

Arsene Lupin Regular Member

I'm a bit surprised there's not been a lot more discussion on the badminton side of things after the ban. Here are some of the bigger tournaments this year:

All England
    The Korean pairs would have been firm favourites for the MD titles, but now it's up to Boe/Mogensen or Ahsan/Setiawan to grabs it. It also open things up others (like the Malaysian/Chinese pairs) to make a good run.

Thomas Cup
    Not sure about the exact rankings, but Korea will probably end up in the third pot for the draw. This gives us plenty of Group of Death possibilities, and I can see the team going out in the group stages. This would be quite a disaster for a team that had every chance in making the final.
    World Championship
    Like the All England, but the WC is obviously far less prestigious. The least important of the four major events (AE, WC, Asiad, Thomas Cup) as far as I'm concerned.

Asian Games
    The biggest event after Olympics? It's Ahsan/Setiawan's to lose, this means any team in the top 16 have a good shot at grabbing a medal too. Not sure if they still have men's team in this year's Asiad, if so this is going to cost Korea a silver medal in the team event as well.

Super Series
    With no Super Series titles yet this year, Korea was never likely to replicate their 6 championships from last season. Now things look even worse with the MDs out, and they could slip to 6th on the table behind Denmark and Japan, along with the obvious China, Indonesia and Malaysia.

I don't watch badminton a lot, so I'm sure most of you can come up with more in-depth analyses. I also don't follow XD, but I'm sure it will affect that side of things as well.

2. volcom

volcom Regular Member

WC far less prestigious than AE?

As any player would they rather be world champion or all england champion.

3. Arsene Lupin

Because it used to be once every three years, then bi-annual, then watered down to an annual event that skips once every four years? Soon enough they will have four World Championships a year just to call it a grand slam.

4. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

^ But AEs were held annually too. What made it particularly more prestigious than WC?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Doubt if it's more prestigious than WC, but AE is the oldest of all tourneys, so more prestigious than most others in that sense.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I am sure LCW will trade all his AE wins for one WC win.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Maybe a few AE titles for WC, but definitely all his AE wins for Olympic gold. :)

8. Arsene Lupin

The fact that it skips once every three years, and the constant changing of format means it's pretty hard to take it seriously.

I do doubt that LCW will trade his two AE titles for a World Championship thought, if only it means he would never have won the AE title either - which you do need to win as a great player (I think we can all agree on that). A gold in the Olympics or Asian Games? Yes, I think he'll be willing to do that, just because Malaysia needs that Olympic gold so badly.

But yeah, this thread is on LYD/KKJ's ban by the way.

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

ALL? you made it sounded like that he is the Hartono of the modern era with 8 or 10 AEs in the bag!

#9 AlanY, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

You be surprised that Malaysians do worship this chap as if he is really the real deal and bigger deal than the Hartono of INA...LOL
    one more thing, wining WC, I think I read it somewhere that LCW will get bonus RM50K, so 2 AE will equate to about the same bonus except less work to win 1 WC than 2 AEs.
    But the real payout on endorsement and upping this dato title and other freebies/goodies to come are far more.

#10 OneToughBirdie, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. that's true. but the point is the same.

and also maybe using Malaysia as an example might not be fair as whoever wins a WC will be the first ever for Malaysia so they will see it as more valuable.

perhaps we should look to another country. Li Yongbo celebrate how many World Champions he has nurtured in his head coaching career, his goal is to nurture 100 World Champions. Never have I heard him say he want to nurture 100 All England Champions. The importance is just not the same.

12. Frosty

Frosty Regular Member

Just to share ( correct me if I'm wrong ), LYB's definition of "world champion" includes any team member for major team competitions such as Sudirman Cup and Thomas/Uber Cup, apart from WC, AE and the Olympic. So, players like Chai Biao are also part of that number which the last time I read stood at 70++.

Source : Chinese badminton magazine.

13. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

But if the player takes part in the 2011 and 2013 Sudirman cup, does that count as 2 "world champions"?

Since China won at least 1 Sudirman, 1 Thomas, and 1 Uber cup. That's like 60 "world champions" right there. There's like 20 people on each team.

Does Lin dan's 5 WC titles count as just 1 "world champion?"

14. Frosty

Frosty Regular Member

Only counts as once.
    They have something like a "world champions" wall of fame. Once every year there is a ceremony where new world champions ( those who win any one of the big 5 for the first time ) get to have their names added to it.

Again, source is the mags.

15. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Eventhough, TH has not won any AE title. I am more than 100% sure that TH would not trade his 2004 OG Gold Medal or 2005 WC Gold medal for AE Title.

16. Frosty

Frosty Regular Member

Just an update, my memory might have failed me, one of the big five could be the now defunct "world cup", not the AE.
    Would be great if someone else can confirm.