Saina Nehwal : साइना नेहवाल

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. keenobserver

keenobserver Regular Member

retired
    From the IBL it can be concluded that SN will not be surpassed by PVS in her badminton career in the forseeable future.

-

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Saina Nehwal, not PV Sindhu, a favourite amongst youngsters

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/18850...-not-pv-sindhu-a-favourite-amongst-youngsters

EXCERPTS:

About a month ago, PV Sindhu created waves by winning the World Championships bronze. She was hailed as Indian badminton’s new face and was spoken about on the same platform as Saina Nehwal.

But, almost a week after the end of the IBL, it’s still Saina who is dear to all the budding shuttlers in the city.

Shanaya Wagh, 15, of Balmohan school chooses Saina over Sindhu following her unbeaten record in the IBL and playing a lead role in Hyderabad Hotshots winning the title. “To see Saina fight even if the opponent is on match-point, is simply motivating.
    In that sense, Sindhu is too casual in her approach,” Shanaya said.

Riya Arolkar, Mumbai’s top-ranked U-14 player, loves Saina for a different reason. “Saina plays more forehand attacking shots, something that I have learnt from watching her. She’s also very clever, knowing exactly when to be on the offensive. Sindhu is still inexperienced.”

Sanaa Gore-Datar of Bombay Scottish School was one of the lucky few to have met Saina at her hotel room. “Saina is unfazed by the attention she gets. She spoke with me as if she knew me for ages,” says Sanaa.

Whether it is Saina or Sindhu, the badminton interest in tremendous, going by the rise in MSSA schools tournament’s entries from 630 to 850.

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    This year has gone without any victory . Saina has lost her touch completely . She has been playing like an amateur nowadays. Pathetic display ever in her whole career. She could not even reach Quarters which shows her involvement in the game. Why does she participating in the tournaments then. Just to qualify for Superseries finals???.. Well. This proves how stupid she is. Where is her fighting tendency and mental strength. Even the contract firm is not happy with her performances it seems. With the way she lost to BYJ, SJH, SunYu etc shows how her mental strength has been deteriorating. No words to say.

4. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    She still can be a top 5 WS player if she resumes her old training routine. The key is cutting down the non-essential activities which take her away from badminton. WSX is a very good example, most people gave up on her. With commitment and determination, WSX is bouncing back. SN can if she wants to.

#184 latecomer, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    She looks in better shape this year than last year. Seems to have lost a bit of weight. Took her time in getting into the first match of the HK Open. I still see her body turning is a split second slower than other players. She compensates by having good body muscle strength but that's not the complete solution.

I think she could have more confidence in playing netshots as well.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    She is completely out of touch.. I never ever seen her struggling this much. I think she should withdraw from Superseries finals and go back to make her completely fit. Her weight is 10 kgs more than the weight she had last year by this time..

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think she was worse at last year's HK Open.

8. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Oops. :D I thought you were a fan? Or are you a "selective" fan that only support your player when she does well? So Saina is in a little slump. It can not always be a smooth sailing. She achieved her life-long goal last year, winning an Olympic medal. Then I believe she had some injuries, which caused the weight gain? So she is still not back in full fitness from these injuries. For some people it takes longer than others. Saina is still ranked top 10. If you have some patience, I am sure her form will begin to peak again as she sets new goals for herself.

I think latecomer is right that maybe off-court distractions have hindered Saina from improving her fitness and form.

Why on earth would you want her to skip the SS finals if she is injury-free and qualified? It's the last tournament of the season. Big money and ranking points at stake.

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Only winners will receive paycheck not everybody i guess. With the form she has, no surprise if she loses even in the early stages..

10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    It's likely, she may drop in her rankings also with her current 'blistering' form in 'opposite' direction. Better she need to quit 'superseries finals' and save her face. What a terrible player she is.. ?? What is her coach doing??? Nowadays, am not able to see Gopichand in the tournaments.. Only coach Madhu is seen in all the tournaments. Better they leave Saina and send second 'tier' players to the tournaments and get them some experiences. It's a terrible year for her without even a single title to her credit. Well... Nothing to say.. She may start a new business using her 'huge' money and do well there better leaving this badminton arena . This is good for her..

11. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

Saina lost yet again in a 3 setter match. Its her third consecutive lost in the second round of an SS event. Every player in the world in every sport has ups and downs. As her fans we must support her when she is struggling with her form. She has many mental and physical issues to sort out. Its difficult being a professional player. Its not like she is loosing deliberately.
    I was impressed with some of the fans of WSX in the forum, who still supported her when she was not playing well, but she is back to her usual form and so will SN, just give her time. I am sure Gopichand know what he is doing and will do what is best for the indian team. And BTW SN never plays very well this time of the year.
    And she must certainly play SS Finals as she would get to play with the best players, even if she looses all the three matches. She would know at least where she stands right now.

12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    As a huge fan of SN, i know when to criticize and when to praise.. If she does not have the form which she had last year, she should leave the badminton arena for some time and come back later. Instead, she is participating in every superseries tournament and shows such a pathetic display. I wonder what she will do when she goes to malaysia for Superseries finals, where she is about to face all the players she lost this year. Yeon Ju Bae , Sung ji Hyun, Portnip and Wang Shixian etc. They all have psychological advantage now. With which they can tackle saina now who is completely down in mental strength nowadays.. :(

13. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    What happen to her?

or the others has catch up?

14. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    As I had mentioning many time before, SN's problem is not related to her badminton skills. She became a celebrity when she was so closed to being #1 and couple with the Olympic medal pushing her even higher. All the off court activities have taken her away from the routine which made her a top player. In other words, SN didn't put her best effort in training and practice. It is only logical that the results reflected her game at this moment. It happens in all other sports all the time, SN is no exception. She still has the skills to be a top10 player at least. Let hope she gets back on the right track. Badminton needs her.

15. vixter

vixter Regular Member

There is a big difference between criticize and calling her a "terrible player". :D It seems as though you think that losing is a shameful thing that casts your country in a bad light or something? You want Saina to withdraw from competition instead of "embarrassing" herself (her country? you?) further. Am I right or wrong that this is how you feel?

How do you expect Saina to get back to form without match play? The only way to gain true confidence is to win matches. And the only way to win matches is to play matches. Maybe she needs to go through even more losses before the tide turns? Is that such a bad thing, that it is better to retire when you're at you're lowest?

The way you talk about Saina right now, I'm not sure she wants you as a fan. Get some perspective. Back in 2006, tennis player Serena Williams had 7 Grand Slam titles to her name, but had fallen down to a ranking of 139 in the world due to depression, loss of motivation, and months of inactivity. People said she was done and dusted. Today at 32 years of age, Serena is back at no.1 in the world and is writing history. She now holds 17 Grand Slam titles and is building her legacy as we speak. And her true fans never gave up on her when she was at her lowest. Saina Nehwal is only 23 years old! I'm sure she can still achieve big things in badminton.

16. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

From your statements, it is giving an impression you supported Saina only because she was doing well.
    Everybody goes through a bad spell and running away from SSF is the last thing she needs.

I say, Saina go and try your best. If you lose, learn from it and come back stronger.

17. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I always support indian badminton players no matter whether they do better or not..But here it is different. Have you read an interview given by P.Gopichand after all the losses of saina (till Hongkong Open 2013) ? If you read that, you won't speak something like this.. He said that Saina did not do proper training before all the tournaments . Automatically, it showed in the results.

I never said that she has to retire completely from badminton or something like that. I only said that she has to leave the arena for some time and come back later.

18. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Do you play badminton? If you do then I am sure you can relate to bad spells which could be multiple reasons, physical, mental, motivation etc. Stand by your team/player through good times and bad.

From my experience I learn more when I lose compared to when I win.

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Good critic is one who points out all the bad points of a person. Though i am mentioning here about her mental weakness , that was her finest advantage one year back. So, stay out of it for some time, analyse it , train it harder and return back with much more stronger player. That should be the motto.

20. dieter_spath

dieter_spath Regular Member

Last year, I had told you that Saina should conserve her energy and train much about her forehand skill to prepare for big events next year. You thought I was carrying with some conspiracy. Now it looks to me you lost your faith in Saina. How stupid you are?:D
    though failed once again in WC this year, but Saina won the gold medal in Commonwealth Games, right? I don't know what does it mean to an Indian player? some people told me it's as important as China national games, so it's nevertheless still a big achievement.