Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Injury in December 2010 could delay Saina's progress

I think Saina would not lose her focus. But, the injury (ligament problem) she suffered in December 2010 could delay her ambition.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Top Seeds for India Open SS

Lee Chong Wei and Saina Nehwal are top seeds in singles draw of the India Open Super Series 2011

Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei and India’s Saina Nehwal are placed at the top in Men’s and Women’s Singles draws respectively, for the upcoming event of India Open Super Series 2011. The event will take place at the Siri Fort Complex, India from 26 April to 1 May.
    All of the top Chinese shuttlers are not participating in this event because they will appear in the Asian Badminton Championship, which is going to be held in China from 19-24 April.

In the category of Men’s Singles, Chong Wei will start off his campaign as top seed of the event. The former World Champion and Olympic Gold Medallist, Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia will be the second seed and Peter Hoeg Gade of Denmark will be the third seed in the Men’s category.

Chong Wei has a great opportunity to win the title as his nemesis, Lin Dan of China, will not be there in this event to stop his way. Taufik and Gade are also regarded as the all times best shuttlers in the world and will also put up a good show in the singles category to earn more ranking points for the World Badminton Championship 2011 and for the 2012 London Olympics as well.

In the category of Women’s Singles, Saina is placed at the top as the top Chinese ladies including, World Number one Wang Shixian and World Number two Wang Yihan will not play in this event.

The Swiss Open champion and World Number three, Saina, has a great opportunity to continue her winning streak in the absence of the Chinese shuttlers. The second seed in the Women’s category is Tine Baun of Denmark, whereas Youn Joo Bae of Korea is placed at number three in the list of seeded players.

If Saina manages to win the event, she will also occupy the second spot in the world rankings as she is not far behind the World Number two Wang Yihan of China. Chong Wei is expected to stretch the gap between him and the World Number two Lin Dan, by winning this event.

The second seed, Taufik, will also be looking forward to get back the World Number two spot by delivering a good performance in India. He is very close to Lin in the points table of Men’s Singles world rankings.

source: http://blogs.bettor.com/Lee-Chong-W...aw-of-the-India-Open-Super-Series-2011-a62111

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  4. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

5. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Weight your odd that Saina winning Olympics medals

Here is a hypothetical question: What odd would you give Saina that she will win an Olympics medal in her career? So, 3 answers: Bronze? Silver? Gold?

Given she reached the QF in 2008 (now have high expectation). She will definitely be there in 2012. Very good chance to be there in 2016 (unless due to injury or retirement). I think a decent chance in 2020 (at 30 y.o.) but a smaller chance in 2024 (at 34 but there aren't many young India players pushing her to retire). So, she has 5 shots (ok, already used 1) to get a medal. What would you weight her odd? Of course, we don't know the answer for another 13 years :)

OK, here is my take.

• Bronze - 90% chance. I wanted to say 100% but life is never certain. So I settled for 90%.
    • Silver - 40% chance. I think it will be hard for her to win the SF match because she will likely run into 1 or 2 CHN WS players which she has 4-11 record.
    • Gold - 20% chance. If she gets by 1 CHN WS in the SF, she probably get another one for F. Will be tough but I think if she can get to the Final, she will be fine even with the pressure.
    So, what do you guys think? Please weight in.

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    So if she has 20% chance (1 in 5) with 5 olympics you think she will win?:)

I think she could win a medal, but I doubt it unless she improves her agility.

7. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Well, she already used up 1 Olympics. Who knows whether she will be competitive or even playing by 2020/2024. I think she has a good shot in 2012 and 2016. Do you think my 1/5 is too high or too low?

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Saina Newhal's chances of winning an Olympic medal

IMHO, 1/5 or 20% is too high. Usually, any World Top 10 player could get a shot/chance to win an Olympic medal.

But, even so, we can never underestimate new up-and-rising stars making themselves known in months to come.

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Injury scare for Saina Nehwal ahead of Indian Open

Injury scare for Saina Nehwal ahead of Indian Open

M Ratnakar, TNN | Apr 25, 2011, 01.22am IST

Full report:
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-ahead-of-Indian-Open/articleshow/8076007.cms

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina can win an Olympic gold: Tine

Saina can win an Olympic gold: Tine

PTI – Sun, Apr 24, 2011 7:15 PM IST

Full report:
    http://in.news.yahoo.com/saina-win-olympic-gold-tine-134500405.html

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina needs to be faster on court: Peter Gade

Posted: Sun Apr 24 2011, 22:10 hrs New Delhi:

World number six Dane Peter Hoeg Gade has no doubt that ace shuttler Saina Nehwal is one of the most talented players in international circuit but said the Indian needs to move faster on court if she wants to beat the Chinese players consistently and rule the game.

Full report:
    http://www.indianexpress.com/news/saina-needs-to-be-faster-on-court-peter-gade/780703/

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Wow, suddenly the top MS and WS of Danish have their say about saina nehwal;)

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It's the Indian press interviewing them at the Indian SS. Of course they would ask the Danes about their opinion on Saina! She is a national hero in India. :)

14. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Indian Open

1. I do take my hat off to Peter Gade, still actively competing at his age. I guess the phrase 'retire while you are still at the top' doesn't apply to him. I personally think it will take Peter Gade to be at his super best and LCW to be at his worst form for Peter to win LCW.

2. Saina is still not up to par with world no 1 Wang Shixian as the former lacks courtcraft and stroke varieties, making her game stagnant and easy to be read.

3. Is it sound to say that since stamina plays a crucial part of the game, players lack the optimum level needed after they are married? For instance, surely LCW 's stamina is better than Taufik who is married. If this is so, will this affect Lin Dan's performance? (but i see his stamina is still good at the recent ABC championships)

15. amirx2

amirx2 Regular Member

Chemist
    I think saina nehwal is a patient type player in the court and she has high stamina.

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina just went down to Ai Goto in Round 2 of the Indian Open, 21-17, 21-19.
    Is it the infected ankle, and insufficient preparation as a result?

17. Tanvi Mor

Tanvi Mor Regular Member

Recruitment Consultant
    She is out in the first round...its shocking as it was in the home courts...but guess it wasnt her day!Iam sure even the best of the players dont have it their way all the time!

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Injury not the reason for Saina’s exit: Gopichand

Full story: http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/article1818907.ece

National badminton coach Pullela Gopichand on Thursday made it clear that injury had nothing to do with top seed Saina Nehwal’s first round exit from the Indian Open Super Series and exuded confidence that the ace shuttler will make a strong comeback in the upcoming Malaysian Open.

“It was just an off day for her, it can happen to anyone. Whatever, she was doing was going the wrong way. She is very disappointed with the loss. She was not moving well on the court. But I don’t think her injury had anything to do with her defeat,” Gopichand told reporters here.

“I think she will come up in a big way in the Malaysian Open,” he insisted after Saina crashed out in the first round of the ongoing India Open after losing 17-21 19-21 to Japan’s Ai Goto on Wednesday.
    ==== =========== =============

I feel there is some good homework the Japanese team have done here. Their girls have been giving Saina a hard time for quite some time now...

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Why Saina cried

‘Once I lose, there is no one else. Sometimes I wish there was someone on the singles circuit to share the burden; that the Indian challenge didn’t start and finish with me. Sometimes, I get overwhelmed.’

Sandeep Narayan
    MumbaiMirror.com
    Posted On Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 02:32:10 AM

[​IMG]

In New Delhi Apart from her free-flowing strokes, Saina Nehwal is known for her winning smile. You see her flashing it after matches, in interviews, and in TV commercials; painting the picture of a confident young woman embracing her rising status in the world of professional badminton.

But this week at the Indian Open, soon after a shock first-round defeat in a tournament she was expected to win despite the lack of proper preparation, Saina slumped on a chair and started crying.

As the tears came streaming down, for the first time in full public view, her coach Bhaskar Babu tried to comfort her, followed by her mother, who had just walked in. For the next few minutes, however, Saina Nehwal was simply inconsolable.

Sitting in a partially illuminated section of the hall, which became a sort of refuge for her after losing to Japan’s little-known Ai Goto, why did Saina, who ostensibly has so much going for her, break down? Why did she weep so bitterly?

“There’s too much pressure on me, every week, week after week,” she told Mumbai Mirror on Friday. “I am the only one from India in or around the top rankings. Once I lose, there is no one else.

“Sometimes I wish there was someone on the singles circuit to share the burden; that the Indian challenge didn’t start and finish with me. Sometimes, I get overwhelmed.”

This feeling of isolatation is unique to Saina, and something not shared by most of the top players she routinely competes with.

“If you look at the other countries China, Malaysia, even Indonesia they all have three or four players in a given tournament with a chance.

“They don’t feel the same pressure because they’re not the only ones who have to win.“We have some good players in India, but for them to play consistently at the top level will take some time. Until then, I’m out on my own.”

Difficult to handle

Though Saina insists that she can handle the pressure, and that all it takes is winning one tournament to feel on top of the world again, the early exit in a home tournament this week was difficult to handle.

“I was shocked by Ai Goto. I had beaten her every time we’d met so far; that day she just played better. I’m not the only top player to go down in the first round, and I won’t be the last.

“It’s happened to Taufik Hidayat, Lee Chong Wei, and everyone else. It was simply an off day. But I was stunned by what had happened. I was blank after a while.”

It’s been a long time since Saina lost in the first round so long that she herself can’t remember when it happened last.

India’s top doubles player, Jwala Gutta, says she understands Saina’s pain. “In singles, there is no one after her. It’s somewhat similar to what Ashwini Ponappa and I have to deal with in doubles. “Once we lose, the tournament ends for India,” she says.

But the pressure on Saina, by virtue of her dramatic rise and her string of unprecedented victories, is definitely higher.

She has a busy schedule coming up, and there could be many losses and many victories.

You never know, she might again be sitting in some dark corner of a stadium, making it her safe haven, before it’s time to wave the Indian flag in another country.

Full story: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/index.a...8&contentid=20110430201104300232169045d124da0

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Hope she can recover from this ASAP. Good luck in next week Mas Open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.