Sho Sasaki ( 佐々木翔 )

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by Skewlz, May 22, 2009.

1. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

My Japanese isn't really perfect, but it seems as if Wilson rackets make him happy! :)

2. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    G.I Sho anyone?

I had several 'K' Braves, which I really enjoyed playing with, but experienced endless problems with the handle and cone. I had four in total, two of which were sent back to the retailer. Also, the gold chrome was a magnet for scuffs and scratches. A very decent performer though.

#42 allyjack110, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

@ Dutch Open 2010 :cool:

DSC_8293.jpg

4. allyjack110

Sho is drawn against Lin Dan in the Quarter-Final of the World Championships. I honestly think he could go all the way if he manages to beat LD - a feat which he has done before. However, he could potentially meet Gade in the Semis, a player he has never beaten in six previous attempts. I suppose at this stage of the tournament any opponent you are drawn against is going to be a challenge. Good Luck Sho.

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Good luck against lin dan tonight:)

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I wonder how Sho is planning to play LD tonight?

Longer rallies, or short ones with lots of smashes and lots of attacks?

7. allyjack110

He is now officially 9th in the world (18th Aug 11). I'm only now getting the chance to watch his QF match against Lin Dan as BWF's live steaming of the tournament was geo-blocked in the latter stages. A good match, but I felt he played too many high shots to Lin Dan's forehand side. I suppose it begins to get complicated when you are playing a left-hander and you are left-handed yourself.

8. allyjack110

This guy is on fire. Another Grand Prix final (Vietnam) and against Nguyen Tien Minh....again! At 28 he's a bit of a late bloomer, certainly by Asian standards. I really hope he manages to win a Super-Series.

9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    ?? Why would it bew more complicated to play a left-hander if you are lef-handed yourself, than if you are right-handed?

Most people are right-handed so it will always be more familiar to play against a right-hander. But this is no different just because he is left handed himself.. He still will play predomeniantely against right handers, and it may feel abit awkward to meet a leftie.. On the other hand this also holds true for his opponent that will have to adjust to that HE is left-handed.. So most likely it is probably more of an advantage than a dissadvantage for him against LD for example.

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Some players I know over here sponsored by Wilson are having serious quality problems with their gear (they complain about the quality even though they got unlimited free replacements!! That says alot, I think). Their rackets seems to be among the lowest quality and with frequent breakages (especially handles/cones etc).. No one of the sponsored players uses wilson strings. The Shuttles (even the best topline 100 are so so). They seem to compete more on "known" tennis-brand and pricing than high-quality stuff.

11. allyjack110

What specific rackets are your friends experiencing the problems with, the BLX or 'K' Factor range? Likewise, I read that the N-code series experienced a number of quality issues. Regarding Wilson's own badminton strings, as far as I know they are OEM. I have a pair of Wilson Elite 1000 court shoes which are amongst the best pair of badminton shoes I have worn. However, Sho's shoes, clothing and choice of string are supplied by Yonex.

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    As far back as I can remember their rackets have been of questionable quality (but priced modestly) and have more QC-issues than most other competitors. from the n1/n2 days to the [K]-stuff to the BLX (basalt) stuff. Everything they do is OEM, not only the string.. They have no own factories for badminton rackets, shoes etc. and they OEM everything badminton-wise from different factories in China as far as i know. As you say Sho uses YY-clothing and shoes. It is a bit puzzling why he uses YY shoes though, most of the Jap national team uses yy-clothing and mizuno shoes, so I assume he signed something himself not partof the national-team sponsor-package?!?

13. Hisashi

Hisashi Regular Member

IT
    To reply this question as Japanese. I started badminton with Yonex racket at the age of junior high school. Almost surround me and I always use Yonex racket. Because shop in Japan almost 80% deal with YY racket. There are few other bland for ex Mizuno, Gosen. And teachers recommended YY coz high quality and safety. I heared then other racket sometimes accidentally broken. Still now I like YY because all of them made in Japan. I proud of Japanese goods. The other side, Mizuno and Assics are best sports shoes maker I think. Especially Mizuno makes special shoes for Japanese. Many Japanese have instep that more high than foreigner have wide foot than foreigner. Mizuno makes shoes for them. I dont know custom made or not. Not like other countries Japanese players are not professional. And they sholud not obey sponsers. They are not all sponsered. May be half sponsered. At the time of Yonex Open Japan their clothes all given by Yonex. But they can choose racket and shoes they choice. Racket and shoes are more serious matter than clothes to play better.

Cheung likes this.
  14. allyjack110

Does anyone know what string Sho currently using? I know he uses Wilson rackets but I highly doubt he uses their string. Maybe Nanogy 95 or 98 judging by the gold colour?

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I just want to acknowledge Sho Sasaki as the most amazing late bloomer, starting literally at the age of 27(?), a phenomenon. For this , I salute him.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sho Sasaki's form has been patchy lately from just before the Oylmpics. Hope to see him surge again as only late bloomers can. He might be the new Peter Gade who's retired i.e. from late bloomer (which Peter wasn't) to Mr Longevity as well, almost unheard of.

17. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Guess we won't see Sasaki in the super series finals.
    This just popped up from Vittinghus' official facebook page:

Great news! Just been invited to participate in the Super Series Finals in Shenzhen next month! I ended the year as no. 10 on the ranking list, but with 3 Chinese players in front of me and a withdrawal from Sho Sasaki I'm next in line to play. I'm obviously very excited to play this event for the first time in my career even though another long trip to China isn't exactly what I was looking forward to... But given these circumstances I think I can deal with it :) Wohoo!

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

20. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    So he retired? That is why he did not play Japan open? Even if he decided to retire after OG, why not play in JPN open also?