Long Serve better in singles if opponents smash is weak?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JustinG, Oct 22, 2013.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I've been experimenting with serve types lately in my singles games and I've noticed that the high serve(very high and the birdie falls straight down) is very effective. Even if my opponent knows I'm about to do a High/long serve it limits there options. So, I guess my question is, why do so many people serve short in singles, when a nice long and high serve seems to limit options more? Unless you have a killer smash all the way from the back of the line, then I can understand the high/long serve being a tad worse...My short serve sometimes leaves me open to pushes onto my backhand side. Thanks

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

You answered you own question very well.
    The really fast dynamic higher level players can really attack a high serve even from the deep backcourt.
    That's why they serve short... it limits the opponents attack AND the server is good enough to get back make use of any lift that is made by the receiver.

Mere mortals (like you and me) are better off with high serves because it gives us time to prepare for whatever mediocre reply we will get from our peer across the court. :eek:

3. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Haha! Good points Fidget!

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

I would go a step further and say that a high serve is always better in singles unless you play at international or national level. There are a few exceptions (against very good smashers with problems at net play), but generally speaking, almost everyone below national standards is too slow to profit from a short serve.
    But it looks way cooler to serve like the pros do! ;)

5. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Actually the real reason that pros use short serves in singles is just that a short serve can only be lifted upward to get over the net by the receiver, which is actually somewhat a defensive stroke. That return from the receiver can then be 'attacked' (a shot performed above the height of the net) or controlled by the server.

6. |_Footwork_|

That's def true for the pros!

But the amateur is generally too slow and gets under pressure with a short serve. For most amateurs, a long serve gives you more time to react and is therefore the better opti
    on.
    The lower the niveau, the more so.

7. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Agree totally with footwork.
    I would extend further and say that net exchanges should be kept at a minimum when in play and used more as surprise shot in singles.

8. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

As I have said before if you want to learn to play badminton well watching pro women play its much more useful.

9. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Yes, I actually enjoy watching women's singles badminton. thanks!

10. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I just watched the Wang vs Sung Women's Singles Final that was in Denmark. It was a super match! I really like the way these women play. Gives me something to think about the next time I play singles.

11. |_Footwork_|

This is so true!
    Women play a more "traditional" badminton style. This style (more rallying, good clearing, drops, only occasional smashes, more emphasis on placing the shuttle well) is much more suited to learn from as an amateur player. Hardly any amateur players can play a net shot and the jump backwards with 2 steps to hammer down a killing smash and again jumping to the front to reach the opponent's block. The level of the best male players is so far away from average Joe that it doesn't really make sense to try to copy that.

First learn and master the basics!

12. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

bottom line... Yes.

13. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I always tell people that if looks like I play like a girl, it is because I watch mostly women's WD and WS videos. :)

14. Heong

Heong Regular Member

I've in the past played with very aggressive players with big smashes and deceptive slices.

Against players like these, the high serve is not ideal even if its to the baseline.

Nowadays I've been using the backhand short serve for this very reason in singles. Unless I know my opponent is weaker or is particular uncomfortable hitting from the baseline, I'd keep the shuttle low.

There are pros and cons for both short and high serves, but at the end of the day - it depends who you're up against and how you tactically use the serve to your advantage.

15. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

spot on but some players just robotically do a short backhand serve without thinking whether its tactically the best shot to play

16. amleto

amleto Regular Member

My high serves are incredibly inconsistent - how often do you get to practice them after all! When I play singles I will start with high serves and stop if they become consistently crap :D

17. visor

visor Regular Member

It's not that hard to practice, just grab 2 dozen birds and an empty court and after 10 min, you'll have it down pat. :)

Just like I'll practice my short backhand serves for a few mins before warming up for a session.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What's wrong with getting on court and practising yourself. Some may even quite easily spend an hour on court practicing serves.

19. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    For those who can NOT attack a high serve better play double. Why bother playing single.

20. |_Footwork_|

sorry, but that's bs.
    against good singles players, it's absolutely desastrous to try to attack the first shot (i.e. high serve). unless your smash is very good (and by very good i mean something of kinda like national level players smash). if you go for attack on the first shot, you'll get outplayed by a good singles player all day long.

as said, things change against really good attackers...