New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Haha... MX80 has prevailed over VT ZF in Shon Wan Ho win over Lee CW in the India Open! :cool:

2. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

Sorry for being OT, but...Lee Chong Wei...beaten?! By Shon Wan Ho?!!!

3. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Yes. Lee CW was beaten by Shon WH for the first time in 3 tight sets 18-21, 21-14, 19-21. Shon was playing extremely well today with his MX80.

4. MIE X5

MIE X5 Regular Member

clerk
    To me, VS850 on MX80 is great until broke it. Restring with zymax 62 (cheaper) after 2 session.. also not bad.

5. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

Here is my review of the Victor Meteor x80 after a 6 hour run with it today.

First off, I want to say that I am very happy I found this thread as I may have found my favorite racket of all time!

A little background on the types of rackets that I usually play with.

1. Victor Artery tec Ti-99 4UG2 strung with zymax 70 at 27lbs
    2. Panda Power Precision strung with zymax 67 at 27lbs.
    3. Carbonex 50 3UG4 strung with zymax 67 at 27lbs

Here are the specs for my meteor x80
    dry weight 87g
    bp 294mm
    zymax 67 at 27 lbs strung with yonex 2piece method
    Original grip removed, replaced with Karakal Pu Super Grip

First Impressions:
    Wow, this racket looks amazing and feels amazing in my hand. It's quite bold and has such a solid feel when swinging. At first I was a little put off with the 80 hole stringing pattern, but I was reassured by the nice people at racket supply that yonex 2 piece method was perfectly okay.

Warm-up:

This racket took a little bit of getting used to. I was not used to such a fast swinging 3U racket as my previous main was my carbonex. I started out with drives and i was impressed right away. The drives were fast, solid, and the shuttle just seemed to shoot off of my string bed. With the additional speed of the racket and the wider, more forgiving sweetspot, it was very easy to direct where my drives were going to go. Clears were effortless and I was hitting the shuttle long quite often so I had to adjust to that. Drops were amazingly tight and back-court drops were fast and tight as well. Smashes took some getting use to as the swing was so fast. I had to add a bit more pronation than I used before, but the results were mediocre at best.

Game-time:

I don't know what happened but something clicked with me and this racket. Both net and back-court drops were tight. I could use them with more ease than I could before when compared to my carbonex. They were faster, tighter, and overall just a pleasure to hit. If it was not for the next part, I may have played a purely control game today.

Now I don't know why I couldn't click with my smashes during warmup, but during the game they were AMAZING. To me they were effortless, yet provided more power than all my previous rackets. The angle was amazing like so many here stated, and the speed and power was absolutely insane.
    Now I may be exaggerating slightly on the speed part, but it was noticeably faster than usual. The racket cut through the air fast and felt amazingly solid upon impact.

My backhand was also better. Clears were easy to hit and direct, drops were also easier than usual. I can't smash backhand yet so I will not comment on that part.

Conclusion:

I believe I may have found my new go-to racket. It is my favorite racket and has replaced the at800df as my favorite racket of all time. I was afraid that the ultra stiff shaft would hinder my play, decrease my power, and injure my shoulder but none of that happened! My shoulder feels fine and there is no pain what so ever. Overall, I believe this racket is definitely worth the $220 I paid for it and I would not hesitate to buy several more.

6. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

Man, US prices for Victor are just way too high. (kwun or whoever else has connections to Victor USA on here, maybe you can do something about that for us? ;))

Pretty big change coming from the AT800Def... Glad you like the racket though, it's a really nice one.

7. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

haha yea it is a change, but the last time I played with at800df was 4 years ago.....I broke my last one smashing =[. It had always been my favorite racket, but now I would have to say it's been dethroned by this x80 =]

8. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    120 pages n still counting, glad I bought the mx80 too over the mx70 ... IMHO, the feeling of using it is better than the vt80, FTW for the racket design too ;D

9. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    At that price, you should. Crikey. That's about SEVENTY bucks more than the International going rate.

10. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    In Malaysia it cost rm600 with grip n string from the victor dealer, that's about 200 bucks! Maklike, you sure got a good bargai! You got yours for 150 bucks?

11. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Yep, AUD148, according to my records. The second I bought was AUD155. This was April 2011 though.

12. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    Funny, Asia price is more expensive then down under. Anw, can't really get a new mx80 around aud 155 over here, maybe a 2nd hand one haha

13. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Well, the prices may have gone up and/or I might get good deals....but your first stop should be RKEP Eric or Chris Aw if you're paying those sort of local prices. Even with a bit of haggling locally I could get one for AUD170 inc. stringing, which means it would even be cheaper for me to buy one here in a shop and post it to you.

14. ya4dang1

ya4dang1 Regular Member

Programmer
    Faster, stabler and more precise than my trusty Arc 10. I felt in love with my MX80 instantly!

15. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    hey...saw it somewhere,but cant find.need to know the place to buy in Bangkok. anyone can help? lol....

16. bartwuster

bartwuster Regular Member

Played for two session with this MX80, so far I'm LOVING it, but it's still too early to give a proper review..Racket played/owned before this including ArcSaber002, SW3150, Ti99, SW36, N55, VT80, and N90ii.. :)

17. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    anyone over here got use the new ns 880 string on their mx80?

@T-maker ... you could try buying online from malaysia or singapore blog :p

Many good reviews over bad for this racket. Wont regret getting one *2 thumbs up*

18. Chewy369

Chewy369 Regular Member

Student
    Hi, I'm a new member on here. I'm excited as I'm about to get this racket soon. I've only used a demo racket of the MX80 for 2 games, and I really enjoyed it, but not long enough for to fully review it in depth. I can't wait til it arrives! :crying: I'm not sure what the pricing for this racket is now that it's been out for quite a while, but I got this racket for around $135 CAD, is that a appropriate price for this racket?

19. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    hey chewy ... yours a good bargain, got it from a legit dealer? Mine was RM 600 in my country (official dealer) and after converting it is around $ 195 cad >.<!! Many cheap deals out there, must be careful ;)

20. Chewy369

Chewy369 Regular Member

Student
    Yup, I think it is authentic. I've also gotten a SW35, VT70 and MX70 from there as well. I will post pictures of them, and could you possible check to see if they are authentic? As I have no idea how to really tell.