Datuk Lee Chong Wei Missing Link - World and Olympic Title

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by shooting stroke, Nov 20, 2010.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Just pulliny your legs...hahaha!!

Agree with you.

2. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

LCW is one of the greatest badminton Malaysia has ever produced..to lay claim to be the greatest he has to win AE more than 4 times ( EC and WPS did it 4 times in MS) & at least nick the WC or OG once to outshine the two giants.

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think he just has to win 1 world championship to be Malaysia's first world champ to overtake the oldies.

That is not impossible and it can be done, let's face it LD is fading even though he won the AG,the gap is getting closer, LD in his prime

could finish the game in 2 sets. i dont think he can overtake LD ever.

To claim 1 more worlds is possible if he peaks himself just for that tournament. But if he fails even then there is nothing more to discuss.

How many past champions in the world can shoulder the burden of winning Thomas Cup, Sudirman cup, Worlds, AE ,Domestic Leagues,& Super

Series continuously, the greats were allowed to select the tournaments they targeted.

Some of you are pros, tell me if it is physically possible, in a sport with a 12 month calender.

4. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Lets have a look at the previous record of DLCW's WC journey:

2005 Lost to Taufik Hidayat (INA)
    2006 Lost to Bao ChunLai (CHN)
    2007 Lost to Sony Dwi Kuncoro (INA)
    2009 Lost to Sony Dwi Kuncoro (INA)
    2010 Lost to Taufik Hidayat (INA)

So the big obstacles for winning the world championship is not LD, it's from INA player. DLCW even do not stand a chance to meet LD in the WC Stage.

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

ehh... Did LCW win the Thomas Cup? Sudirman Cup? AG?

6. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

i've already spoken abt this in another thread but datuk is definitely not the best player boleh-land has produced.
    in terms of achievement, he only has all-england to shout abt, hafiz was also all-england champion too.
    the greatest player is rashid sidek, who overcame zhao jianhua the shuttle sorcerer and hardy ardy wiranata to lead and inspire boleh-land to thomas cup success in de modern era.
    and also, rashid was unbeatable in boleh-land, making him de original jaguh kampung or village champion.

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    heard that zjh took some mulla when he lost. ;)

Anyway, difficult to compare players with different generation. So many factors to think and compare. Skills, timing, opponents, etc etc... dun compare compare... just enjoy... unless this person or ld really wins it all, then we can say the greatest. So far no one is the greatest... ;)

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    what can we say, some people just wants to discredit lcw at all cost.

comparing the past and the present?

phew !

i am sweating ...

9. pralinescream

there is no point to compare skills, speed, power between players from different era.
    the measure of greatness is how much the player dominates his/her opponents and how many major titles which were won.
    come to think of it, datuk is not even in the league of one of the greats, his single AE win pales in comparison to achievements of rashid sidek, tan aik huang, eddy choong etc.
    no matter how many times he win super singles series or inconsequential tournaments, the only thing added is prize and sponsorship money. in terms of badminton achievement, datuk is juz mid-table.

10. extremenanopowe

I don't know about other players. My guess is that lcw did better than Rashid in all categories so far except for the Thomas Cup (which until now, I still doubt if we win it cleanly. However a win is a win; I give the benefit of the doubt). Rashid's mental was weaker due to the jaguh kampung tag. LCW Olympic silver, MO titles and the AE shows a better result compared to Rashid. ;)

Also in terms of the number of tournaments LCW won is pretty remarkable. Not easy to win many tournaments. Like others who also agreed that there will be many years to come before anyone can win as many tournaments as him. ;)

For the older generations from 1975 to lee chong wei era, I don't see much achievements. Still not easy to compare them. ;)

11. extremenanopowe

lcw compared with other greats.

I don't know about other players. My guess is that lcw did better than Rashid in all categories so far except for the Thomas Cup (which until now, I still doubt if we win it cleanly. However a win is a win; I give the benefit of the doubt). Rashid's mental was weaker due to the jaguh kampung tag. LCW Olympic silver, MO titles and the AE shows a better result compared to Rashid. ;)

Also in terms of the number of tournaments LCW won is pretty remarkable. Not easy to win many tournaments. Like others who also agreed that there will be many years to come before anyone can win as many tournaments as him. ;)

For the older generations from 1975 to lee chong wei era, I don't see much achievements. Still not easy to compare them. ;)

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Lee Chong Wei: Legend of modern-day Badminton

Last time I checked, AE was a SS event. Just like MAS SS, INA SS, Japan SS etc. Can anyone say that those events are not fought for by the best in the world? Or were not fought for? If CHN chooses not to send their best to say, MAS or INA Open for fear of the partisan crowd, well then, it's no different at the China Open either!

So under these circumstances, to have won so many SS titles (often with the best CHN competition around) is no small achievement, by any standard. Yes, there will always be people around to belittle a player and his achievements, and to that I say, "yeah, whatever." :rolleyes:

Rashid was a great player, no doubt, but he didn't bring the Thomas Cup home single-handed. MAS had some really good players doing their thing in 1992; remember, they also knocked out China in the semis at that time. It was a team effort. A really good team effort.

LCW has achieved everything he has, often despite the system, and with the singular handicap of not having a strong MAS singles contingent to back him up anywhere at all. He has succeeded in maintaining his high standards for such a long time despite all the bitching and squabbling. He has taken his overworked body week after week for years, all over the globe, representing his country at the highest levels of the game with great dignity and great success. He deserves respect. He deserves our applause. He deserves our thanks. He has made this game worth watching.

Like Ivan Lendl, a tennis giant and legend of his time was once described, you sure can use the same words to describe Lee Chong Wei as "the greatest over-achiever in the history of the game."

I am not a Malaysian, but I sure recognize a great player when I see one. I would not hesitate to name LCW as a modern-day legend of the game, because he has achieved more than almost anyone else, despite the odds that have mostly always been stacked against him. This cannot be disputed. There will still be people who belittle him, but IMO, they only expose their own pettiness.

#32 cobalt, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  13. pralinescream

greats are not measured by the major titles they 'could/would/should' have won.
    but i guess in boleh-land, rejoicing over getting scraps and leftovers is as good as it gets.

comparing datuk to ivan lendl made me choke on my toast this mrng.
    'modern legend' indeed, that is juz boleh-cheer.

look at mighty China and great Indonesia, so many world champions, olympic champions, all-england champs and none of them are spoken as legends except for the truly exceptional like Super Dan, Yang Yang, Zhao Jianhua, Xiong Guobao, Han Jian, Xia Xuanze, Dong Jiong, Chen Hong, Taufik Hidayat, Hariyanto Arbi, Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen, Alan Budi Kusuma, juz to name a few.

All these players are miles ahead of datuk, with the exception of Super Dan who is light years away.

14. pralinescream

rashid's achievements is one of the greatest efforts in boleh-land badminton history.
    playing 1st singles, with the entire weight of nation on his shoulders, he was able to lead the team to victory and comprehensively beat de tireless ardy wiranata and magical sorcerer zhao jianhua. both the mightiest players on the planet at that time with vastly contrasting skills.

but rashid managed to beat them and lead the team to victory. his efforts managed to inspire his teammates to over-achieve as well.
    can datuk do it? juz look at 2010 thomas cup. HA HA HA.

datuk always lose and give plenty excuses whenever the going gets tough.
    and it always doesn't need Super Dan to whack him, even taufik and sony can smack him arnd like a rag doll in world championships.
    he is not made of the stuff of the greats.
    juz an average player among a mediocre boleh-tam.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    As I said before:
    Yeah, whatever.

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    refer to your post above.

your first two paragraphs contradict the rest of your statement,

let me point out what you just wrote,

first you suggest don't compare players of different era

then you start compare lcw and rashid .....

next, you claim measure of greatness is by major won

then you doubt lcw's ae win...

if i were to agree to disagree with you

at least i need to know what is it that is different from my opinion

but here i just don't know what you are writing beside english. lol

17. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    and i sure recognize a sensible post from a real baddy fan!

i like reading your post even though i don't know who you are.lol

from your post written i can say you are quite neutral.

what say you all bc members?

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Hope that's not a bad thing!!! :eek::D
    Yes, I love the game, and I respect all the players for what they bring to the game. The administration of the game in several countries may have, ummmm, something lacking at times, but the players themselves, almost without exception, I am grateful for. :):):)

19. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    YONEX BWF World Badminton Championships at Wembley Arena between 8 – 14 August 2011.

Less than 2 month and hopefully Datuk LCW can win it. Past history revealed that it is the Indonesian players that has become his biggest obstacles that makes this title eludes him for many attempted years.

Since Datuk LCW records against all current Indonesian players favours him and his recent few matches against his greatest enemy, Super Dan also shows a good record, he as always will be the favourite to nail this and the fact that London also has been an excellent hunting ground for him by winning the All England back to back, i am confident he can deliver.;) Go Datuk Go.....59 + championship days more to go before becoming a champion:D

20. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Except from 1978 to 2004 where I lost touch with baddy, I have long followed MAS badminton as a fan when I was in KL, not much of a player myself (I am a lousy player even today), and I have seen a lot of MAS players played this game, my favorite would be TAH. I have said LCW prolly the best MS player MAS produced IMO, being a complete player and not judged by major trophies he won. It is just that LCW era coincide with that of LD and TH, 2 of the greatest players this game has seen. Someone will come along when LD/LCW/TH retire and win them all, but it is not the winnings that interest me, more of the way these 3 fellas play the game when each of these 3 players are playing at peak form, it is so unique. It is comparing baddy to martial arts movie, it is not just a movie to see but a martial arts movie starring Bruce Lee...and you want to see it again and again...LOL
    On LCW chance of winning WC11 and OLY12, OLY is a long way away. WC11 is 2 mth away. LCW is taking timeoff, except for IO, to prepare for WC, that is smart. LCW is undoubtedly on top form, a fav to win. But I would not say LD cannot win. If you review AE11, the winner could go either way. LCW is on top form that night. LD made a a lot unforced errors, a wrong line call at 12-10 went to 17-10, and still LD narrowed the gap. LD's best weapon, that is 'anticipation of where the shuttle goes' which he showed in OLY08 was missing in AE11. LD has work to do and you can bet LYB will correct that before OLY12 comes, so which LD will show up at WC11? LYB would like to have LD be the underdog to LCW and leave all the pressure to LCW as the one to beat. If CHN can qualify 3 MS for WC11, it is not easy for LCW and the dark horse IMO is CL. The draw is very important. LCW chances in OLY is better than WC since CHN can qualify only 2 MS and not 3.