Thick Grip Vs. Thin

Discussion in 'Grip' started by huchmo, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Unfortunately the original grip on my SW37 was the worst grip I've ever had on a racket. It really slipped up and down on the wood. Putting an overgrip made it worse, because the overgrip slided WITH the original grip. That was pretty annoying.

No I have a Karakal replacement grip on the racket -> Much better. Superb hold and feel. Actually without an overgrip. But honestly, it's too small (G2). On the other hand the thin grip makes the racket head heavier:rolleyes: - a welcome side effect, especially if you've got a 4U racket.

2. trapatoni

trapatoni Regular Member

students
    well..i already getting use on that grip..but now, i using thin grip..(all around)

zackyh likes this.
  3. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

I like using a thick grip, cause my hands are big.....

4. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    I like thick grip, absorb impact, flexible feeling cause it feels sooo comfortable :cool:. I must say too many grips out there... cant really try all of them :crying:

5. rellz

rellz Regular Member

Student
    I use quite a thick grip usually and the changes it makes was highlighted recently. I had put one Karakel Supergrip on top of the stock grip and I could tell there was something amiss with my racquet and I was getting bad tennis elbow. Long story short I added one Yonex Supergrap and my game advanced on every level, smashes were harder, drop shots easier and clears more powerful.

Again it depends on size of your hand and your technique, I generally see controlled players play with a thinner grip as opposed to heavy hitters like myself who prefer a larger grip

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Thick grips absorb shock better, but if you want a lot of feel from the racket you might not like this.

IME, the more wrist action people use, the thinner the grip they end up with (allows more wrist articulation).

7. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I wanted to use a thin grip, ie, karakal nano, on my sw35 but found that it didn't have an adhesive backing so slipped and got crumpled. I had to revert to a karakal super grip which has adhesive backing. But i find it way to thick now. Any ideas on a thin grip that has adhesive grip?

8. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    you means you are using overgrip as replacement grip?

you can try this way to grip it (so it will not gonna crumble)

[video=youtube;wsPXtbLnzoU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsPXtbLnzoU[/video]

9. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Hi Avenger.I basically did this but the grip just moved about on the handle so got crumpled and exposed the wood. Any other ideas?

10. AezranHakim

AezranHakim Regular Member

Office Boy
    The thinner the better... i open my ori grip, put a good cellotape around it and cover it with a li ning overgrip (abit thicker than the yonex overgrap).. i used to have thick covers but i feel the thinner the better i can 'feel' the racquet.... but u need strong holding capabilities to make sure your racquet does not fly to the other court! haha...

11. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Like double sided sticky tape?

12. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Serveral weeks ago, I was used to play with 3 Layers of Yonex Super Grap AC102. On a Yonex G3! (In Germany, you can only order G3 oder G4 (sometimes G5 for women rackets).
    That was really thick. The main disadvantage was the agility of the racket handle. Fast switches were really difficult. And after a long match, my hand was even out of power from holding the racket:D.
    Then I recognized that I have to improve my technique that I can play with a thinner grap.
    Now, I'm playing with only 1 Layer of overgrip and I'm very happy with this. The first time, it was very hard - but now I would never go back to a thicker grap.

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

IME, higher standard player have thinner grips.

Personally, I play with one 1.7 mm rep. grip on G5 bare wood - any thicker and I can't get enough wrist articulation.

14. minimarcy

minimarcy Regular Member

Digital Advertising
    I thought a grip was purely a matter of personal taste - didn't realise that some people think it can have a dramatic effect on your level of play.
    I always opt for a thick, cushioned grip - purely because it's more comfortable. I have tried both though, and never really noticed a difference in my game, but when using thinner grip I have to admit the whole time during the game I couldn't help thinking "whoa this is really uncomfortable, i need a thicker grip" lol :D

Perhaps that indirectly affected my game in some way...

15. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yes, I think that thicker grips will forgive more technical defecits.
    The thinner your grip is, the better the technique should be.
    That's what I think.
    Of course - every player should play with a thick or thin grip that he likes.
    But nearly every high level player plays with a thin than a thick grip.

16. yerrorice

yerrorice Regular Member

I like thick grips. They prevent blisters and are comfy xD

17. maxout

maxout Regular Member

For those that are still puzzled BUT greatly disturbed by their grip ... try the following GENERAL combinations and choose the the one you feel and play BEST ... that will be the BEST GRIP for you and your game !!

1) Assuming you still have the ORIGINAL factory grip on your racquet - 1st combi - original + overgrip

2) 2nd combi - original + 2 layers of overgrip

3) If you have stripped down to BARE WOOD, recommend you cover it as a BASE layer with ELECTRICAL TAPE, to prevent "sweat damage" on the wood.

3rd combi - replacement grip

4th combi - replacement grip + one overgrip

5th combi - replacement grip + 2 overgrip

There are other "stranger" combi (eg 2 replacement grips), but the gist of the idea is to approach the selection process methodically :) Note, ONLY you can decide what WORKS BEST for yourself.

Personally, I tried all the above combis using a Karakal PU Supergrip (Black) and Yonex 102EX SuperGrap (lightly wound) and found that combi no. 4 is the best for me.

18. slowmotion

slowmotion Regular Member

Student
    wah this is a very helpful post! thanks a bunch :)
    going to buy a racket which original grip had been removed so I was a bit puzzled abt what to do.

19. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    You could also use just an over grip on bare wood.

20. maxout

maxout Regular Member

True, I tried that too before combi no.3 (using Karakal replacement grip) but found it way too "tough" for me ... reminded me when I was 5-6 years old playing using the old wooden "Gold Cup" racket back in the 70s !! :p