Indian Badminton: Some Serious Drama

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by egibney, Apr 5, 2007.

1. egibney

egibney Regular Member

The BPF website has some interesting things going on right now. Recently the BPF president Bobby Milroy wrote a letter to the BWF about Badminton Association of India's actions regarding not allowing players to play certain tournaments. This letter was leaked to the press and is now some big deal I guess. Anyway here is the article on the BPF website, as well as a fairly interesting conversation on their forum between Bobby and one of the Indian players I believe.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

wow, looks bad, though we musn't jump to conclusions yet until we get the whole picture. i'm sure that bobby and punch will be able to sort something out with BAI. but yeah, as of this moment, it looks bad .... :(

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    apologies in advance if i make a wrong statement as i don't know all the details.

if i understand it correctly, isn't it the same scenarios for other countries? PBSI, Chinese national team, BAM, they all dictates if their national players gets to play in any tournaments. China don't always send all their players, BAM has been known to send only some players, and PBSI we all know about the recent incident.

why is this particular case with India any different?

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    After reading I prefer not to comment on the Indian Badminton Scene as I'm sure I'm missing lots of facts to trully understand what's really going on.

What I can state is my i own opinion on international tournament participation :-

1) National Player funded fully by the Country. No real choice i deciding what tournament to go. You may suggest but green light is from the National BA. May feel like you are under the thumb but that's the price to pay for the support.
    2) Semi Funded by Country players. This is abit tricky but i'm sure more freedom to players and less leverage to the National BA.
    3) Fully Independant Players. Look at Chen Hong. Sairul Amar, Lee Tsuen Seng, Roslin. if they can fund the trip, no National BA should in no way stop them from participation. Unless they are in offence for something.

Just my 50 cents
    TBBMBB(N)

5. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i agree. if they funded their own way, why should they be prevented from participating.

6. egibney

egibney Regular Member

I think the problem goes beyond just what we are seeing on the surface. From what I've heard there are some major politics going on behind the scene in their association. Not as bad as what was going on before with the Russian badminton situation (which has since been resolved to my knowledge), but still it hurts the players to have conflict. That being said, there are all sorts of politics going on in all of these associations, look at Taufik for example, withdrawing in protest from AE Open and Swiss Open.

I think what the BPF is fighting for is a more professional tour, which is part of the goal behind this Super Series. It is meant to force the players to play more often in order to maintain their ranking. Take Wong Choong Han for example. He has had to qualify for every Super Series thus far as a result of a low ranking after injury. In tennis you never see "Tennis USA" limiting who can or cannot go to a tour event. So long as you have the required ranking they let you go. It is more professional that way, whereas badminton is more amateur in it's structure. Basically BWF and BPF are fighting to move the sport towards a "pro" tour, and a lot of people are resisting that change, which is always the case with change.

I'm sure you will see other national associations start to be pressured by BPF and BWF to give their players more freedom to participate in what they want to. Also we will eventually start to see the team competitions take a back seat to the Super Series events. For countries like Indonesia, China, Malaysia etc this is an unwelcome change because winning these team events is so much a part of national pride. It should be interesting to see how all this plays out. I think India is just the start of something which is part of a much bigger picture.

7. guttayelan

guttayelan Regular Member

dear players:

i am very happy that all of you are concerned with latest development of badminton association of india..

i think it is not only the matter to indian players, it is the matter for all of us to think ..if they are doing right or wrong..?

indian men single's champion chetan anand and women doulbe's champion jwala & shruti are the only hopes of india to qualify for the forthcoming olympics..they are training with their former national coach mr. arif...this coach has produced many international players including gopi chand..
    then why the association has problems with them? they are ranked 28th in the world respectively..done india proud...why the association is not talking about t he olympics but 2010 commonwealth game? and these player wanted nothing from this association..they want to train and spend their own money to go for olympics qualifying matches..

but the association is saying what you all going to do in olympics? really funny answers..

the association is quoting that they have performed badly in the european circuits...but they didnot ask whom they played in the first round?..and do you know for all these the national chief coach gopichand is responsible..i wondered how these players will play fter so much mental harassments from them? pls voice for allthese players...

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Ugh, really hate to see this happening..

..could be not a big deal afterall, but w/media nowadays, everything could be "blown" out of proportion..:p
    Btw, don't know if kwun/mods want to merge this thread w/the other thread started by Loh..

10. guttayelan

it is a drama started by gopi and co

yes, it is a political drama played by above people.

i donot know who gains who looses in this drama..

while i am sure gopi is not in line with all officials of the association since he was a player..but now he is in line with them to trouble the other players by not sending their entries for the olympic qualifying tournaments.. those officials once upon a time gopi was telling us : the most ugly people:.".it looked like gopi knows all in and out business of the assocition...he can black mail them to help him to dig these players's career..according insider...one of the official in th e association is expressing he and other officials are not able to stop gopi from doing this kind of thing...possibility , one, he is the currupted one or he is innocent...so what gopi is up to? over throw the president in the association wiht the cost of players's career?

you all think hard here...

11. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    i think the trigger factor might have been mr.Gopi.......seems like every player hates him.

12. mtyce

mtyce Regular Member

Can someone tell me why does a person with so much integrity to refuse a lucrative pepsi contract allow almost all Andhra (Gopi's state) juniors to cheat on age. It is a known fact that all Andhra juniors play one category below their age group. Most other players are at least 2-3 years overage. The cheating is so rampant that I cannot believe that Gopi is unaware. Will these juniors who are used to playing players younger and weaker than them be able to perform as seniors when they meet peers and more powerful players? A dental check or TW2 test will reveal the truth, but for that there needs to be an intent to catch cheats? :) It just seems like Gopi is desperately trying to 'show' results and justfy government funding. But killing Indian badminton in the process. I would urge all international sub-junior and junior tournaments to have mandatory age verification medical tests just as they hv drug testing.

13. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    This is a shameful act and I consider this as treason.

14. guttayelan

india national badminton championship,2008 result

dear all:

a good news for you all !!!

the latest indian champions of this yr are:

men's single: chetan anand

women;s double: gutta yelan & shruti kourien

mix double : gutta jwala & diju

in the past one yr, the national chief coach gopi along with BAI have been trying all their best methods and each possible way to stop these players progress in badminton field..however today they got sound slaps on their face..and their mouth are shut by these players..the "old" players once again proved that they are the best in india..

in this championship, the crooks again tried , they put chetan and anup in one half so that gopi's player can slip to final without any difficulties, however his player has no lucks..the pity is the final should be played between chetan and anup but it ended in semis with anup is out..how could two highest ranked players put in one half..you all think it over...

today is the happiest day for me..

they are the best players in india...and will remain always..

yelan

15. avataar

avataar Regular Member

heres a bit more on the results on finals day of the indian senior nationals -
    http://in.sports.yahoo.com/080127/43/6q426.html

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I believe it is best to leave the BAI to handle whatever internal problems it may have with unhappy players or supporters. After all almost every country has its own such problems. That is life and if the worse comes to the worst you can always change the board of the BAI, unless you don't have the votes. Internal bickerings are best not aired to audiences who are not in any position to effect "regime change". The right way is to change the decision making authority, the BAI, if they are not competent enough.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It is a pity that Indian Badminton has come to such a stage when about 2 years or so ago it showed signs of blossoming to become a team to contend with in the international arena. When I saw them at the Melbourne Commonweath Games 2006, team spirit was very high and they met with some success at the Games.

But today, during recent SS, even Chetan Anand found it hard to get past the first round.

While other countries are moving ahead in preparation for their most important assignments, the Thomas and Uber Cups and the epitome of them all, the Beijing Olympics! I suppose we should not expect too much from India during these tournaments.

I always believe that good leadership at all levels is very important to producing sterling results. Unfortunately, recent events in Indian Badminton do not seem to point this way. I hope changes can be made to correct any shortcomings.

18. guttayelan

hi,

u r observation is right..

two yrs back is different, two yr after today is different, gopi has seen their perfermence in 2006 commonweath, therefore didnot want them go any further..his nightmare will be if chetan beat a big tittle in the world, then what happen to him?

so he has been nasty thru out the 2007 and he stopped sending chetan's entry and give lots press release to mentallly troture them..no funds for them to go abroad...even the stadium where these players are playing are also under his threat..with these all mental and financially supression..i guess any player can not play..

however, this national championship has proved all points..i am sure now chetan will show up well ininternational circuit..

gopi will be perish to where he belongs...

pls have trust on these players, india will be proud of them..i donto doubt about it..

yelan