Would LD and LCW enjoy the success they have if this had happened.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by latecomer, Jun 25, 2013.

1. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

i think it's a funny question, i like it!

def, RF would make a good badminton player. the skills required overlap to a very large extend. i used to play tennis competitevely as a junior and could compete with lower level badminton club players from my first training on when i switched to badminton. there's a lot of similarities, therefore RF would def be a good badminton player if he worked hard on that.

MJ would very likely be very good in any sports with a ball. he has an unbeliveable touch, superhuman athletic and mental skills. nevertheless, a racket sport is still a bit different, but i would suspect he could handle it with proper training.

BL is hard to tell! of course he's ultra-agile, fast, flexible and so on. but is he able to do anything sensible with a ball or a racket? i can't tell...

TW def has the touch you need, but it's very hard to judge is physical abilities, especially for badminton.

if i had to answer the question: "with 100 hours of training, who of the 4 would be the best?" i would bet all my money on RF.

but what happened if they had all begun as kids, i don't know. i would think that RF and MJ would be world class players. i'm pretty sure about RF. better than LCW and LD? hard to tell, but a lot speaks in favor of RF, as he's the best in a (at least) comparable competitive environment in a very comparable sport...

2. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    There was once or twice that I heard a competition of 4 rackets sports. Squash, Badminton, Tennis and Table tennis and guess who the winner is Badminton player.

Golf, don't know how difficult this sport is to achieve high standard. But if you think country like Korea and China as relatively new comer in Golf Elite rank, how many of them now has started to be counted in world high rank. Fiji with population less than a million has once had a top player (I think is BJ Singh). In the very near future will be dominated with Asian but then popularity will diminish in Western develop countries. Like badminton was once dominated by Europe and USA.
    Is about how the media and hence money to make a sport popular and glamorous.
    If one billion Chinese + half a billion Indian + another half billion others who are developing to become develop country then greedy giant company will start look at the sport. This is to any sports not only badminton.
    Give an example the popularity of Japanese sports like Judo, Karate, Shumo in Western countries. Why? is because not only the sports itself is attractive but so does many sports. The so call rich people sports is always will attract rich people group. You know the explanation right.
    So just don't worry about popularity of Badminton has some how been compared to Tennis and Golf, basketball etc. We now know why. It will comes.
    If someone want to compare Badminton and Table-tennis or Sepaktakraw then we can genuinely compare in pure analytical way otherwise too many wishy washy arguments.

3. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    How about everyone here willing to participate a bit of fun analyzing and rank them 1 to 5 if BL, TW, RF, MJ, Lcw or LD are trained (limited time, 1 year) by the best coach in the field of the following sports : 10m platform Diving, Rock climbing, Dancing (contemporary). These sports are new to them which require physical, mental, intelligent and artistic ability.

4. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    My verdict :
    1. Bruce Lee
    2. LCW or LD
    3. Tiger Wood
    4. Roger Federer
    5. Michael Jordan

5. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Glad to see some BC members are thinking out of a box. God give you some grey cells between your ears, use it sometime. Don't be afraid expressing your imagination.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Except RF would have grown up playing badminton in Switzerland. Props if you can name a Swiss badminton player from his age category ;). Of course you could make the same point for a tennis player in Switzerland probably but the internationalisation/ globalisation of tennis had already started when he was growing up ...
    TW and MJ would have grown up playing badminton in the USA and we all know how competitive the high school circuit is over there :D (let alone the geographical disadvantage both nationally and internationally)

#26 demolidor, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah looked like he played for a bit instead of tennis. Would be great to try get him at swiss open or something for exhibition. Would be great for raising badminton's profile.
    http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/29/not-just-tennis/?_r=0

8. dominikk1985

dominikk1985 Regular Member

clinical science
    yes. they also said he did sometimes play badminton with his coaches to improve his overheads.

9. emidyl

emidyl Regular Member

kinda old thread but my take is simple. Don't believe anyone has mentioned but
    Michael Jordan and baseball. So regardless of how successful and talented one is it can never/easily equate to such in another sport.
    Despite my rather limited scope, Shawn White has won gold in both snowboarding and X Games in skateboarding. So as mentioned perhaps top squash athletes would excel best in baddy as opposed to the others mentioned perhaps outside of RF.

10. randomuser

randomuser Regular Member

i have the impression that the training LCW and LD gone through to reach where they are is much more intense than what those 4 have been through.

11. |_Footwork_|

I'm pretty sure a basketball player would say:
    "i have the impression that the training MJ gone through to reach where he is was much more intense than what those others have been through."

and a tennis player would say:
    "i have the impression that the training RF gone through to reach where he is was much more intense than what those others have been through."

fact is: all of these guys exceled in a VERY competitive environemnt in a very developed and professional sports... and that takes a lot of passion, training from early years on...

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

MJ wouldn't make an elite badminton player simply because he is too tall.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Yeah, no kidding... you just have to keep smashing at his body for winners... like Ivanov. :p

14. dominikk1985

clinical science
    isn't axelson very tall?

15. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    In all sports, talent and skills are the critical factors and physique is secondary.

16. dominikk1985

clinical science
    well I don't think MJ would be the best ever if he was 5"11.

17. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Hulk Hogan is 6'8" but I don't think hes a good basketball player - the thing is
    within the scope of the particular sport there are certain skills and physical
    requirements that are obviously neccesary - but inevitably talent and skill overides
    physics.

18. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Can a feather weight boxer beats a heavy weight boxer. Can you beat your father when you were under 16. Of course size matter.

19. |_Footwork_|

There are definetely sports, where physique (height...) is as important as other skills (basketball, volleyball). You hardly see small players in these sports, unless they are very, very talented and only can play at certain positions. All other guys are very talented AND tall...

20. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Name a girl who would want to date a guy 5 feet less one inch tall. Of course size matter.