Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Just a light singles game with my friend after training. Mainly concentrating on moving each other around the court. Playing at about 60% intensity.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FntvvxEL4_8

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoefpQFQ8bw

Enjoy peopleeeeeee. Again was very tired and only running at about 60% using this game as a light warm down.

Part 2 is alot more consistant play than part 1. But both are still loaded with silly lazy mistakes hahaha.

Enjoy guys ;)

2. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
  3. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker

good game guys , i would say you two are closely matched and you are lucky to have someone like that to play week-in week-out.

4. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    good game.

I like the blue color floor & background, very soothing to the eyes.

I agree, great playing. I need more work on my singles game.:)

5. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    thanks guys....still lots more training to do before im good. 1 problem i still have is my racket drops down below my waste quite regularly which in turn slows my game down as i have to force more movement.

Lots of things to work on!

6. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    i have the same problem 'bradmyster'. need to lift it off the floor.
    nice vids btw

7. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
  8. chichee

chichee Regular Member

Teacher
    Ouch...a stiff neck!

Tried the advice from a few pages back about pressing ctrl/alt/left arrow key but doesn't seem to work.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Been playing only for a yr??..

..i'll say, for someone who had only picked up baddie in a yr, that's not too shabby; form and techniques are definitely there.:cool: I take it you've been practicing & playing quite a bit every week?

10. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    Play for university at the moment, was dragged along by my friends, got picked so since last year i started playing. once a week during term time... was lazy through the summer though so am still a little rusty on my timing.

11. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Not bad at all to say you've only been playing a year, Ricky.

As you said a few posts up, you definitely need to keep your racket up more. I also think that when your opponent low served, you didn't attack it enough. OK, a lot of the time you played a fairly tight netshot but IMO, you were standing too far back and not going after the low serve enough. People think that by standing mid-court in singles, they cover themselves from both the high and low serve however, you will find that if you get closer to the short service line, you'll cover low serves better but still be able to get back for the high serve with ample time to play a shot equally as good as you could have standing where you do at the moment. As soon as you see the serve is a low serve, step in to it and play it early; that way, you give your opponent less time and can take the shuttle higher and so - put them in to a more difficult position. In the video, you seemed to let the low serve come to you before playing it. Returning the low serve more like you did at 1:10 would be a good start but I think even that one you could have attacked more.

As for high serve returns, these were better. The one problem I noticed was that you seem to want to attack the high serve too much. At 4:27 you seemed to get a lucky net cord and I know you found the net with an attempted smash earlier on in the video. Unless your smash is brilliant, I would only try to smash high serves that don't go deep enough. High serves with good depth can be difficult to smash so it's generally best to opt for a different shot. An attacking clear in to your opponent's backhand corner is a good shot to choose, as is a dropshot if you see your opponent anticipate a clear and move back.

When you played the net kill at around 4:03, you brought the racket too far back for my liking. Just the flick of the wrist should be enough to give a sharp and fast kill. By taking the racket back further, you make yourself require more time to play the shot (meaning you may not be able to kill shots that with no/very little take-back you would). From seeing lots of people do this, I have noticed that taking a longer backswing seems to cause people to hit the net with their racket more. I'm not sure if there is a direct link between the two though as people with longer backswings tend to have poorer net kills that people who take a very short backswing so it may be the lesser killing ability as opposed to the backswing that causes them to hit the net more. Wait, on second thoughts, was that a net kill or were you further back than that and just played a smash from a shallow position? I can't really tell from the angle of the video. Either way, make sure the racket head always remains in sight when you play net kills.

That's all I've noticed at the moment. Please don't feel I was being too critical of you because you're actually a pretty good player, there are (as with all of us) aspects of your game that could be improved though. On a final note, you seem to have a really solid backhand, is that the case? I don't think a remember seeing you miss a backhand from the rear-court in the whole of that video.

12. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    Hi dan,
    thanks for the very detailed observation ;). i dont mind at all as you took the time to watch it. Also, i have only played for a year at university training. ;)
    My strongest point is actually my attack, whether it be jump smash or any other form of attack/ quick movement. my backhand is actually my weak point. Not in comparison with others, just ive always though it was weak.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- From whom did you learn playing baddy? Did you learn just from playing with your friends?? Or you received a bit of coaching? If so, your friends must be pretty good themselves.
    - How how many hours do you usually play during your once a week baddy session?
    - I notice your backhand form is there, at least.:)

14. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    I watch some videos online, and i download some from this forum. A normal academic year for university for sports season is around 15 weeks. I trained twice a week if that is any use in answer your question.
    The backhand was the hardest shot to master in my opinion. But once the form was practiced, it got easier.
    Was hoping to improve more during the summer, but due to holidays i didnt get the chance...

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I see..^^

- That's indeed another approach. But i take it you must've sparred/trained with your friends, who were probably already at the same level as you, to be where you are today.
    - How many hours per session do you usually train/practice?

16. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    i did alot of work by myself to be honest as the university team last year was very weak; i mean, even i got in lol. Not many of the members took it seriously except few and i just did shadow work etc. The stickys stated on the forum on footwork was partically useful as it improved my fitness even though i smoke.
    my friends were the same standard as myself last year when i started, but as i progressed, they didnt as much. i think losing in the matches against fitter players motivated me.

17. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    To be honest, I'm a little surprised you've become so good in just a year without much formal coaching or anything like that. That can only be a testament to how good your work ethic is. You're an excellent player and if you keep working hard, you'll only get better.

18. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    thank you for the kind words :)

19. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Watched your video mate , and you are a good player. Alot of players I played with dont have the patient on court and they would just try to smash anything (even from the back :C ) and all I have to do is to drop it back over and point won. But you seem to have a good understanding of the game which is a + , positional wise you are ok. abit slow with the footwork but as you said , it is the 1st week back to training so it should come back to you ! Maybe using your backhand too much , I was taught to hit a round the head clearence to the opposite corner as your first option so you would gain more time to react for the next shot.

p.s. I do like your backhand drive :D !

when are you getting a new Yonex........

#499 staiger, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  20. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    thanks mate for watching and giving feedback :), im still a little lazy due to the holidays, and the round the neck shot is more effort.. so in the meantime i am just practicing in turning (like lazy taufik lol) and practice the back hand more.
    As with the racket, i think i am gonna stick with the arc 10 for now as i do love the racket. Hoping to go to the all england next year so will maybe wait for the new line of rackets then or something.
    cheers