Professional players and their racquets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Josh, Oct 13, 2001.

Tags:
  1. swunk

swunk Regular Member

Just noticed Markis Kido using n90-II in MD in Indian Badminton League. Quite interesting.

2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I believe he has been using it ever since he was sponsored by Li Ning :)

3. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    in XD he mostly play at the back, so he need more power and use the JJS

4. carltan101

carltan101 Regular Member

student

That sounds really stupid though. If they use the 3U, they would probably be using arc z slash since both rackets are similar in size right?

5. carltan101

carltan101 Regular Member

student

Yeah that sounds true but all that is psychological. If LYD believes that the JJS might give him more power, it might actually work on his best interest. The problem is that hard smashers such as Ahsan or Mogensen use light rackets (actually, VERY light rackets) but still produce harder smashes than LYD. So yeah, just giving out some things to think about lol

6. SibaSt

SibaSt Regular Member

Mogensen is absolutely not a hard smasher. His smashes are good because of placement and angle, and because their is always the threat of a steep drop shot. But he doesn't smash "hard" at all.
    And of course Intanon isn't a hard smasher either.

So as far as arcFB & very light rackets are concerned, Ahsan is the only hard smasher using it and kind of an exception.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Iirc Ahsan has never exceeded 270 km/h on his smashes with the FB. I can only imagine it going higher if he were to use something like the NR Z Speed. :)

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Mogensen is a hard smasher - he just rarely goes for power as placement and angle are much more important in their style of play. He can and does smash harder than Ahsan. However I still don't buy for one second that he actually uses the FB, if you look at the movement of the racket you'll notice it can't be so light (the shuttle moves too fast for his sometimes rather slow swings). Ahsan just might be using one as he really does have fast racket movements.

9. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    these guys might b using some other fbs than those we got from store.

10. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    6u for these super players. i for one dun buy the claim.

11. steamboat

steamboat Regular Member

The stringer for Yonex at the 2013 World Championship has confirmed Mogensen and Ahsan are indeed using the Arc FB lightweight. He also mentioned that Mogensen are testing the stringer to their limit. Lightest racket>Arc FB, thinnest string>BG66UM and highest tension>34-36lbs. Not those 3U or paint job as speculated. Boe using the 4U VT80. He also attached some Yonex players' racket, string and tension at thread 246.

http://bbs.badmintoncn.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=375931&highlight=%CA%C0%BD%F5%C8%FC

If u understand Chinese.

12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I find it very strange that almost all the Chinese MS are using the first gen of Li ning N series. We are already on the third gen now but these players stick to the first one... What does that mean? LD, CL, WZM, DPY, CJ, even BCL at the recent Axiata cup...

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Most of them stick to what they're used to. Was the same when they were still sponsored by Yonex...

14. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I don't remember for the whole scad, but BCL switched to the Arc 10 when it came out, as with PG and TH. LCW of course changed his racket each time a new one came out. In fact, players faithfull to old modem are a minority I would think.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

LD stuck to the At700, FHF to the 2nd gen Ti-10....there are probably a couple more examples. It's not the majority that keeps on playing with one racket for ages, but a good portion of those that get no extra money when they use new stuff (i.e. players in teams without individual contracts/endorsements).
    2nd gen was actually quite popular, I don't know what your problem is - N55II, N50II, N90II were widely used. So was the N30II. The N70II was the only unused 2nd gen racket with a 1gen model that was played (N33 and N77 were never used by any player afaik, neither were their 2nd gen counterparts).

16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I specifically mentioned MS. LD is the only one you mentioned, and he switched to Li Ning before there was a replacement for the Armortec series.
    The racquets you mentioned were not popular among the MS. I can think of the N80 used by JOJ, but he switched to the old N90 not long after. I find this unsuccess of the second and third gen of the N50, 55, 70, and 90 peculiar.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The 2nd gen simply wasn't a real 2nd gen - the 2nd gen models were different from their 1st gen models, not being simple upgrades, so to speak. The N90II, for example, is a lot lighter than the N90, but it was used n singles and other disciplines (Boonsak used it for example).
    The N55II is also different from the N55, although it's been quite a while since I played with the 1st gen so I can't put my finger on what exactly the differences were. Probably a bit lighter as well.
    As for the N50 (used by DPY, WZM), it's a slight bit stiffer than the N50II. And red :D

Also, simply sticking to MS is kinda stupid - I could just as well point out how the NR rackets are remarkably unsuccessful in MS. Just doesn't say anything about the racket, really. Additionally, ever notice how most Chinese players seem to imitate what their colleagues in the same discipline are using?
    I mean almost all MD players use the N55II, N70, or N50II. Most singles players stick to the N55 and N50 (with the exception of those able to handle the N90).
    N90II was popular with male XD players (Zheng Bo, Jakub Bitman) while the female WD/XD players use the N30, N30II or N60.
    WS is actually the most diverse discipine in terms of rackets used.

I believe it's not only players not liking other rackets, but also them sticking to what works for their (sometimes more successful) colleagues and not experimenting around a whole lot.

#2017 j4ckie, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  18. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Actually, I wonder if Li ning realised that its first gen racquets were not user-friendly, that is, not for the amateur, thus doing easier-to-use racquets for the second and third gen. Just an hypothesis.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hm can't really say there's a difference in user-friendliness (that even a word? :D)...apart from the N90/N90II. Li Ning rackets are actually quite user friendly as they're not as stiff as most other rackets endorsed by pros.

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Is that so? I was told the n55I is difficult to handle, something like to heavy, but I have not tried it myself. The red n50 is indeed gorgeous