Chai Biao ( 柴飚 ) / Zhang Nan ( 张楠 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by weewee, Mar 19, 2010.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Bigger problem will be Chai Biao's inconsistency. He was really unstable in their match against Hayakawa/Endo. He really needs to get rid of his tendency to go to the net and smash the shuttle with a big motion...causes many errors. Zhang Nan is already at a very high level at the net, just continuing his current training regime and playing MD tournaments will probably be enough to enable him to take anybody but a LYD on a good day (or maybe KKK if he finally gets his act together).

2. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

Chai Biao is inconsistent, but so is Fu Haifeng and Jung Jae song. I think thats just the nature of the backcourt smashing player: they have raw power but dont play as intelligently or consistently. So I suspect Chai Biao will always be a little inconsistent, like Fu and Jung.

That's why, to me, the success of this team depends on the play of Zhang Nan at net, while Chai Biao just needs to work hard from the back.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well his inconsistency is far more pronounced than any other good smasher. He fluffed up the easiest kills because he wanted to put them trough his opponents rather than angle them down before their defense...I'm not saying he should become a net player, but he really needs to cut down on unnecessary, easy mistakes like that. Stay disciplined and patient when he gets a good chance at the net and NOT follow his instinct and go for an all-out smash :)

I agree that they can become a great pair, btw :)

4. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

FHF and JJS might be a little inconsistent at times but you rarely see them miss any hard smashes.. They both can smash n smash for 10times or more at one go... their weakness might be their defense, esp FHF... but others, they are the best at what they do.. Unlike TBH, he might be a great backcourt player last time but that was history.. He hardly smash from the back of the court.. once or twice at one go but never more than 3times. Lack of stamina and i'm glad that he knows it so not to push it.
    I still like to see CY/FHF vs LYD/JJS.. they bring mens doubles to a whole new level whenever they meet... Never fail to give the crowd a badminton match of a lifetime.. Wonder which 2pairs can replace the level they played at.

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Wrong thread? This is about CB/ZN :D And defense wasn't CJS's weakness, btw. His netplay was. His defense was superb!

6. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

:p i was merely pointing out that being inconsistent is not that big of a problem, CB is young, he will improve... JJS's defense is sometimes a bit out.. he swings it to the next court! well, not exactly next court, you know what i mean... anyway, lets see how CB turns out in a couple of years, he is improving and with a good partner, he will get better...

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That remains to be seen - it's often wrong choices of shot, and some players somehow can't get past that and continue to choose wrong shots or keep other flaws (an example would be Kido, who still goes to the net with his racket around his ankles, and tries to play very very fancy shots and often brings his partnership into big trouble with those habits).
    Hope that they (ZN/CB) can pose a threat to the new top pairs though, so that China doesn't disappear from the MD scene again and have to wait another 2 decades for the new CY/FHF to emerge :D

8. zhuangcorp

CB/ZN got revenge on the Japanese pair that beat them in Denmark last week.

They are proving that they are already a top 5 pair in the world, having beaten the top 2 Japanense teams in the world already.

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

beating certain pairs doesnt automatically make you a top anything pair ;) but i agree they have great potential.

10. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    top5... That's too early to tell... 3koreans pair, bomo, kootan, Indonesian and caifu... There are already 7pairs better than them at this moment

11. zhuangcorp

Well, the Japanese pair they beat is ranked 7 in the world. There's no Korean pairs above them, as both pairs have been disolved since JJS retired. Bo/Mo are fairly old, and seem to be slowing down a lot after the Olympics. CB/GZD is disolved. I think the top indonesian pair is dissolved as well.

Endo/Hayakawa are the 4th ranked active pair in the world. CB/ZN beat them, so they that indicates to be that they are top 5 level already. If they beat Kim/Kim tomorrow, I think that solidifies them as top 5.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

If beating a Top 5 pair makes you a Top 5 pair yourself, there are a LOT of Top5 pairs out there....!!

13. zhuangcorp

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they fare in the French Open this week against
    1) kim/kim
    2) LYD/Ko
    3) Koo/Tan

This is some tough competition. I definitely think CB/ZN and LYD/whoever are the future dominance of Men's Doubles.

14. bura836

bura836 Regular Member

accountant
    CB/ZN are still not promising as expect. Don't know why? seem not to have a leader-type within the pair thus lack of creativity and fighting instinct from the game.

15. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

yeah, not that promising.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Currently, CB/ZN are definitely not as strong as the Top 3 Korean pairs. Let's see if they can get there, but personally I see Kim/Kim and Lee/Ko at the top in the future.

17. zhuangcorp

I think the Chinese system needs to emphasize Doubles play from a young age. Sometimes I feel CB/ZN look like 2 singles players trying to play doubles together. They don't seem to have the instinct and court awareness for how to play doubles.

The Korean pairs just seem to maneuver the court better, defend better, and have better tactics to win points.

18. zhuangcorp

Anybody know where Chai Biao is? How come he's not competing in Hong Kong?

19. zhuangcorp

Chai Biao is very interesting player. In the latest German Open 2013, he switched from being a backcourt player to a frontcourt player as he partnered with Hong Wei.

I watched his game in the final, and he plays fairly well from the net, making a lot of interceptions and winneers, forcing his opponents to lift. At the same time, he still has his big smash, so when he rotates to the back, the pair suffers almost no drop in power.

Chai Biao/Hong Wei is a very interesting combination, definitely has some potential. I think a Hong Wei/Zhang Nan pair would be very interesting as well.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Actually, when he rotates to the back, the pair benefits from an increase in power from the back :D