Why do all the rackets I use feel wrong?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by diverdan, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How do you know it's the right one? :)

Don't tell your wife I said that... :D

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... touche! :p

She's my one and only...
    my go-to racket that is... :D

#22 visor, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Well, like visor said before, the life is all about compromises.
    If you want decent power, The defence can suffer. I agree with Calvin. Training is the key to tame most rackets. If your technique is decent, you are able to adjust to most rackets. Sometimes Badmintonplayers are like junkies who are looking permantly for the next and better "Kick". After trying around 20 different rackets before I switched to MX80(3U) and trying around 20 rackets after my switch I decided that the MX80(3U) is the love of my life. I will need no other racket or an improvement. I realized it's "my" racket.

4. calvin_lei88

calvin_lei88 Regular Member

Hahha i am using mx60(3u)... Pretty good ...so far my favourite racket... But I still use my heavy training racket to improve my gameplay...

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Lots of valid points made above.

I think a lot is to do with realising that there is no such thing as a 100% perfect racquet. There will always be something more we want from a racquet - just as professionals will change racquets from time to time.

As other have suggested, to close the gap, you're better off looking to improve yourself instead.

I'm a huge fan of the old racquets and possess quite a large number of old racquets, but even I have to confess that they are not good enough against good players. The cab 20 was and still is good (cab 21 better for doubles imo), but compared to modern racquets against good players, they're not quite up to the mark now.

As recreational/club players it probably doesn't matter so much, but if you're a serious competition player, there's little value in going back to the oldies imo.

I agree that the LYD is a little too HH, but as victor racquets do vary in BP, there may be some LYDs that have a significantly lower BP. The LYD was one of my go-to racquets, but I did find that my defence suffered against strong players despite having a strong wrist/forearm. This was simply because it was too HH.

I recently moved to a BS10 which I have to say is better suited for my game. With most racquets, it's usually a compromise between balance and power. Too HL and you lose power, too HH and you lose speed.

Strangely and surprisingly, I did not find this with the BS10 so much.

It is a lot headlighter and faster than the LYD but I can still thunder down the smashes from the rear court as before. Power is not as easy to come by as the LYD, and I find I have to swing a tad faster, but the power is definitely there. If you like the LYD and found it too HH and slow for maneouvring, I would strongly suggest you try the BS10. I may be ordering another myself as a spare but want to play with it a few more time to be sure it is the right one for me.

The 8DX is another of my go-to racquets. You do need to be very strong to be able to get power from it but it really excels in all other areas. My shoulder problems have come back recently and so the stiff 8DX will have to sit on the reserve bench for now.

6. meteor

meteor Regular Member

I too changed lots of rackets driven by the desire to find the ideal one :). The problem is - as it was already mentioned here - you need quite a lot of time to truly adapt to a new racket. We're talking months of continuous use... Adapting your timing, flex and head weight characteristics may be relatively strait forward but I believe there's a much deeper level of "bonding".

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Of course, the racket manufacturers want you to buy 20 rackets in 3 years.

Don't be fooled by them.

8. sychong95

sychong95 Regular Member

Student
    Hm... If that is the case, will you consider improving your skill to a higher level?

Sometimes it is not the racket which gives you the "power". I believe all skilled badminton player can use any rackets to play with great power, precision and speed. The different in flex, balance is made to suit different types of player.

Or if your are very skilled, just like the other says, it takes time to adapt to yr rackets, or why not just analyse your playing style first.

9. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I agree in part but I am struggling with the speed of the head under pressure situations, I am 40 so no longer as quick as I was plus HH rackets dont suit my style of play. I bet if you gave some pros different rackets they wouldnt like it.

10. sychong95

sychong95 Regular Member

Student
    Well if u say so, I do believe yonex nanospeed or nanoray series would suit u due to the head light balance.

Stiff rackets like ns9900 and nr 800 are great double rackets.

Arcsaber series are great too, even balance rackets like arc 11 or arc z slash, which are flexible than arc 8DX, and stiffer than arc 7.

there will be a new NR racket coming out on the 22/8, not sure its condition, but it is advertise to be lightning fast, and with great power, breaking another world record.

But I do think you might be to "perfectionist" (no offence, just an opinion :))

All types of rackets does have its drawbacks:
    Light head balance vs HH Balance --> Speed vs Power
    4U vs 3U --> Speed vs Power ("MX80 4U which I liked but lacked a bit of power")
    Flex vs Stiff --> repulsion vs control (MX 80 is stiff, lacks repulsion which has relationship to power)

11. sychong95

sychong95 Regular Member

Student
    But I do wonder... if u say VT80 is too flexible...

I think you will be considering ns9900 and nr800.

arc 11 and arc z slash hav similar flex with VT80. But they are fast and have more power compared to ns and nr series.

12. sychong95

sychong95 Regular Member

Student
    Why not try borrowing friends' rackets to try out for a while? Just try as many as possible. You might hav a chance finding a racket you really like!

13. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    So in theory my racket would be an even balanced, slightly flexible, 3U?

14. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Pretty much that should do it if u prefer speed to power. If you feel u need to be quicker then go to HL n vice versa.

I am almost 50 n now playing doubles 95% of the time but speed/defense is my forte so my favorite rackets are a bit HH to compensate my lack of power in smashes. Especially I trained the old school of rackets swinging techniques (30+ years ago played singles in Singapore National level) so cannot optimize my swings to HL rackets. As for shaft stiffness I also favors medium-medium stiff, they help in "whipping" and we are too old for real stiff shaft.:eek:

Just my 2 cents

15. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    What about the off the shelf blue BS12?

16. visor

visor Regular Member

If you think vt80 is too flexy, you won't like bs12.

17. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    VT80 is HH which makes the shaft feel flexy. BS12 is even so the shaft shouldnt feel as flexy? Or does it?

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The BS12 is a medium, so it won't be any stiffer than a VT80.

Next stop from a VT80 is a VT-ZF, I'm afraid... or you can get something stiff with an even balance. Like an Arc 11.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    WYH lost G1.. i don't believe it...

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Just for you they are releasing a new colour this year ;) (Cab 20 new colour to leave out any doubt)

In the meanwhile, back on topic:

24022011070 (Small).jpg

For lack of availability of the above, the Ti-10 LTD wouldn't be a huge mistake if you can get it for a good price. Seeing as it went for practically nothing at that warehouse sale in Singapore, there might be some sales in the buy & sell (not that I particularly recall seeing one). Haven't tried it though so can't tell if it actually differs from the 3rd gen as some had claimed (iirc) ...

#40 demolidor, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013