New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. KohKoh

KohKoh Regular Member

Mx80?? Stiff?? I canflexit so easily.. Ive been playing almost 8 hours a week with my MX 80 and i dont have even the slightest pain.. And I never worked out. Im a little weakling.you must be exremely weak then

2. meteor

meteor Regular Member

It's the hard hitters that get the problems:) Great racket but you end up disabled... I use mx70 a lot more now and my joints are much better. Noticed mx80 requires better focus, tighter timming, it's difficult but extremely rewarding.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Perhaps you got a naturally quick swing or a fake racket then :) The MX80 IS super stiff, no matter how easy or hard anyone finds it to bend. Fact is that the shaft is really hard. Apart from that, physical strength (or a lack of it) does not necessarily mean one can bend a racket more easily (or not), as good technique and the explosiveness of the movement are decisive for that as well. Also, quite a few players confuse the feeling of the strings giving way with bending the shaft, so maybe you're not bending the racket quite as much as you say....looking at how little pros like Kim Sa Rang and Jung Jae Sung bend it on 260+-smashes, I can't help but be a little doubtful...

4. whenry

whenry Regular Member

LOL, yes for a guy who is 40, play 4x a week (12 hours a week), smash and drive a lot. My elbow is not my servant anymore. wait till your reach your "golden age" koh koh, ha ha ha. Please don't get mad. cheers

5. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    You are a sad, sad little man, and I pity you.

6. whenry

whenry Regular Member

For those who are in love with MX 80 but are having elbow problem with it, hopefully can learn something from my experience.

some of my background,
    coming from yonex rackets, armortec limited and 500 to BS 9. It took 3 months for me to master the racket. It was so different from armortec.

And after using BS 9 for about 6 months, I bought BS 10, it fitted me straight from the oven. Completely in love with BS 10, I bought another two BS 10

After too much visiting this forum, and could not resist the temptation, I bought MX 80. It is like BS 10 with steroid. And then after 6 months, my elbow hurt until I could not bear it anymore.

After taking some suggestions from fellow forum member,
    I changed the string with softer feeling, which is yonex 68 Ti, lowered the tension into 24 lbs (I usually play with nanogy 95 @ 25 lbs); used thicker grip, even I tried to double the grip (PU grip). It did not work, the pain was still there and the nice experience with MX 80 was lost. It was not the same MX 80 anymore.

I opened up my bag, restrung my armortec limited, bs 09 and BS 10. Nothing compared to MX 80.

Again, went back for researching a new racket in this forum. First I considered to buy MX 70. But had a thought that maybe MX 80 and 70 is not too much different, so I bought MX 60. The pain was gone, but the racket does not suit me. Eventhough MX60 power is the biggest among other rackets, I feel it is too slow for me. Don't get me wrong, it is still a good racket.

Again and again, went back to this forum, and got some input from my friend, I bought BS LYD. It just feels so good. And after having played for quite some time, I can say it is better than MX 80. The speed is there, more powerful than mx 80, but net accuracy still needs some minor adjustment, but overall is still good.

Lessons learned:
    1. quit lurking this forum will save you some serious money. LOL. just kidding. I gain a lot of knowledges from fellow members. Thanks guys.
    2. I have tried anything to soften the MX 80, but it doesn't work
    3. BS LYD rocks. My 2 cent is it is a very good replacement for MX 80 and BS 10. It took about six months for MX 80 to gradually hurt my elbow. Hopefully it will be OK with LYD.

7. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

Nice story. About your lessons learned:

1. Bad comes with the good :)
    2. Did you try building up your muscles (just some simple weight exercises) so that with their extra strength, they can handle the MX80?
    3. Nice! One of the Victors I want to try.

8. whenry

whenry Regular Member

bluetornado,
    I am too lazy to do weight exercise. But regularly when I don't go to play I do dry swing exercises with 160g trainer racket, and at the same time do some footwork at home. So it is usually 3x a week. I exercise my clear, backhand, drive, smash returns sets. 2 sets with 30 swings each set.

9. Soybean

Soybean Regular Member

I just got my MX80 earlier this week and took it out for a spin... The accuracy and angle on this racket is amazing! Even one of the players in my match commented that my new racket can sure dish out good angles. The drop shots need much more effort though in my opinion, maybe because the shaft is really stiff, and you'll probably need to do a larger swing motion to get that drop across.

Smashing power is great and combined with the VS850 makes a very nice sound! I was impressed :) I still have to train myself to use the stiffer shaft though, but I'll get there soon. No pain for me :)

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, the accuracy and immediacy of this racket can be incredibly addictive. :D.

The larger swing motion for drops is great because it'll allow you to diguise your drops amidst your smashes. ;)

#2130 visor, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  11. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Hi bros, Jung Sung is it retire already, is he using MX 80 now, thinking of buying MX 80, compare MX 80 and Fu haifeng kason F9 , which one better. ?

Want to buy another racket to replace my sold Li Ning N50II

12. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    if i aint mistaken, jun sung just had an injury and he is waiting for recovery ...yup, he is using the mx80 ^^ cant tell about kason cause havent tried any of their racket but i can tell you that mx80 is on heck of an incredible racket!

P.S ... some might take time to get used to the stiffness, like me ...i cant play with it longer than 2 hours lol, hurt my arm =P

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's completely impossible for a racket to change the angle of your shot. If it does, it's due a change in timing, so your timing was wrong before (if the angle got better). The racket can influence power, accuracy, maneouvrability....but not the angle. It's influenced by how high you reach up, how hard you hit the shuttle (a slower shot will drop more steeply in the end but take longer to reach the net) and if/how much you slice it and, of course, at what angle you hit the shuttle.
    The racket has no influence whatsoever on the angle, please stop saying that about every second new model!!!! It's really annoying. :mad:

14. Soybean

Soybean Regular Member

Hehe I guess you are right. But I found the change in timing to achieve the better "angle" influenced by the racket's specs compared to my previous racket which was even balanced and medium flexed. I think it's an improvement from the change of racket rather then the racket itself :)

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Alright, please make that clear from now on - other, not so experienced players might mistake such things and actually believe a different racket could give them better angles when in truth it's all about your timing and technique... :)
    I agree, however, that the MX80 is indeed helpful in getting superb angles as the stiff shaft allows for full racket head control in every situation. A softer racket will react slower and might cause you to mess up the timing, especially on disguised or defensive shots where you tend to change direction very quickly. But with the MX80, you can do whatever the hell you want, the racket head will always follow your movement exactly....and the direct feeling is quite addictive. But for me, the decrease in smash power and shoulder pain (from the constantly quicker movements necessary) are not worth it. The Braveswords are much easier on me, and if I don't play with the MX too often, I don't miss the feeling as much^^

16. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    agree with you jackie ... the stiffness of the racket really aint forgiving >.< ... plan to change my grip (thick and soft) to lessen the burden on my arm. BS is swift but lacks the power that the mx80 can produce ... thats why there is a thread on HANDS UP WHO WANTS 305mm WOVEN BRAVESWORD lol

17. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

Bah i'm back to my YY Arc ZS. Strings went to walhalla 2 days ago. Looks like i'll have to wait for the weekend to get them replaced. Continued with my ZS and I already miss my baby :(.

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Anyone else find that when using this racket smashed are more likely to end up going flatter? Seems to be a problem that I have with it, smashes are powerful, but sometimes they just seem to be very flat. Don't really have the same issue with other rackets...

19. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Is it stiffer than your previous rackets? You might need to get behind the shuttle a bit more. When I first moved to a super stiff racket I had the same problem, because it's out of the racket so fast that you have no time to let the unflex bring it down.

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

My other rackets are SW35, NS9900, AT700. I wouldn't say it's much stiffer than the NS9900 or SW35...