BAM warns Mohd Hafiz Hashim & Kuan Beng Hong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    nope
    atleast china is doing better than malaysia in this case;)

2. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Lets go to China!!!WOOOOOT!Jia You Jia You!

3. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    woo, that's pretty drastic, amin. don't you think so?

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Because CHN has a much BIGGER population base of Badminton players

Well... That's because CHN has a much BIGGER population base of Badminton players.

5. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    the population in China is wayyyyyy bigger then Malaysia .. :)

6. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Bro, Denmark has a much much smaller population than Malaysia but they have been successful in the Olympics and WCs.
    I dont think success is due to population size, or else India or Russia will be giants in the badminton arena.

I give some other examples;

New Zealand has a pretty small population base, yet they are amongst the top teams in world rugby i.e. All Blacks.
    Holland's population aint big either, but their national football team is pretty decent.

;)

7. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    First of all, have India & Russia gov't ever set their eyes on becoming strong badminton nations?

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    CHN having a BIGGER population base of talented Badminton players

We are not comparing the general population of China with Malaysia's. It is because China is having a BIGGER population of talented Badminton players compared to Malaysia.

Most bigger cities in China have Sports Schools for Badminton. Even if there is just one talented player found in each city, China would have hundreds of talented players.

9. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    well, let me rephrase what you said: it's because China is having a BIGGER population of top notch Badminton players compared to Malaysia. this is always a perfect answer, China is always having a bigger population of champions compared to Malaysia.

why China is so strong in badminton?

Peter, the badminton smart guy, Gade said very clearly "because of money!"

He's right, all the gold earned by China was made by money. Everyone knows Denmark is the most wealthy country while China among the poorest. But China badminton association has much more money than Denmark. Li YB even paid all the travel, room and board expenses for the whole Denark badminton team to play tournaments in China!

So the reason China is so strong in badminton is the same reason China is so strong in sports overall. Therefore the question "why China is so strong in badminton" is a pseudo question. People should ask "why Indonesia is so strong in badminton?" "why Malaysia is so strong in badminton?" "why Denmark is so strong in badminton?"

China got the most gold in Olympics! Even my province, just 1 province out of 30+ provinces in China, got 10.5 gold last year Olympics. How much gold Indonesia got? How much gold Denmark got? How much gold Malaysia got? The whole India, with population over 1B, just got 1 gold in all their history!

#309 2cents, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  10. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Hey bro, dun forget MAS got a world champ in Squash !! and our track cycling team also doing not bad, scored some silvers in the world championship and of course our own LCW in badminton. Last time (in the 70s) our field hockey team also not bad. So, for a smmmall nation like MAS we are doing a OK !
    Now somemore going to have own F1 racing team...........hehe...but that's another story lah...:D

11. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Denmark has a much smaller population base than Malaysia. And the Danish government cannot come close in terms of support and finance as compared to the Malaysian government. But how come in Denmark's cabinet, you can find some major medals there while the Malaysian's cabinet is bare when it comes to Olympic gold or WCs except for a packet of nasi lemak?

The other thing I am wondering about is whether government's support the key to success?? :confused: I mean, look at Ivory Coast, a poor country that was previously war torn and yet they qualified for the football WC 2010 in South Africa.

If by mere governments setting their eyes to become strong sporting nations, then Luxembourg, which is a very rich country ... all the government of Luxembourg needs to do is set their eyes to be badminton or football champions ... and *waaah laaah* ... Luxembourg will be contenders in badminton/football???

12. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Yes, we have a true world champion in squash in Nicol David. She is a world champion today due to the sacrifices made by her parents early on. But if you read yesterday's Star papers, our squash association now is having a big headache as there is no one in line to take over from Nicol. The 2nd stringers are way way way below her. For all you know, we may be looking at a one Nicol David and thats it.

Cycling team .... hmmm ... dont know whether they are really world standard yet. They were kept pretty quiet in Beijing last year. ;)

LCW? Yes, he is WR#1. But he will never be in the same category as Rudy Hartono, Yang Yang, LD etc etc .... legends. Given the ranking system, whats the use to be #1, when you dont have the majors to back you up.

F1 team??? Ok ... I dont know much about F1, but if I look at the teams like McLaren, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Renault, Ferrari ... these are all privately owned corporations/bodies, right? But our F1 team is funded by the taxpayers :eek:. Some teams are already packing up when it comes to F1 and yet we are going in ... and worst still, we are using our public funds on this venture. The F1 venture ... is a feel good syiok sendiri thing la.

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

You got to work for it ....

Having a bigger population base of talented players didnt happen overnight nor is it a birthright.

What China is today is because of years of hardwork, laying the right foundation, planning, sweat, etc etc. The bigger base of talented players didnt happen all of a sudden. They are reaping the fruits of their labour.

Players are kept on their toes and everything is results oriented unlike MAS, where we are still hoping for HH to be re-born again.

14. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    We'll see hoe far can HH go in Danish Open.

15. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    bigger population also depends on opportunity...

if there is a big population but no opportunity like training, etc... also useless

like 1billion Chinese maybe 0.01% play badminton regularly but in Indian 1billion only 0.000000001% play regularly

so Denmark with 4mil has 1% regular has more badminton player than India...

End of the day, it is not how large a COUNTRY population that counts but HOW Large population is the COUNTRY BADMINTON PLAYERS that counts!

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Agree & disagree, dude. Having a large percentage of the population into a particular sport helps as long as the foundation/structure/people running the programs are right.

A good example is Malaysia, our country. There are 28 million of us ... we all play football from our schooling days. We are football mad but why is it that despite the high %, our football team cant seem to find their way past KLIA? We are in the shitter because our foundation/structure and everything is poor.

Same goes to badminton ... we can pour in millions of public funds, hire the best coaches, buy the best uniforms, hair gels, gold rings, chains, rings, nail polish, & shoes, build the world biggest badminton arena with a huge and tall flag pole outside, roll out the best incentive programs, get LCW to train in Korea or Zimbabwe, get the best and most colourful tattoos from Miami Ink .... but as long as the foundation etc remains poor and things are run not based on results ... we will always come out short in the big tournaments.

17. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

He will definitely go far as I am sure he will clock up numerous points for his MAS frequent flyer card.

18. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Hmmm ... not so sure about this. I would say it is not an impossible feat. Look at North Korea for example, I doubt the opportunities there are more than in Malaysia. But yet, they are going to South Africa 2010 and we are going to the mamak.

Ivory Coast is another country. They had years of civil disorder and civil war there but they are going to play in South Africa 2010.

I dont think there are more opportunities in the above 2 countries than Malaysia and I also doubt they have decent programs but I guess the players determination to overcome the odds was much greater than our famed Boleh and subsidy mentality.

Kinda reminds me of two childhood friends, A & B actually. You see, A was from a rich family. Daddy is doing some serious business. B comes from an average family, dad was a school teacher and gave tuition on the side. A had the best of everything i.e. private tution etc and went to Australia, spent about 5 years there and came back without completing his business degree. B is about to complete his medical degree in Australia.

19. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    In some sports, government support is critical...but for INA badminton, we do not have support from government..thats really sad..even our soccer has more support but we go nowhere.( at least badmintonton got INA many gold medals)/...at least Malaysia has done better in supporting its players...

20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    The biggest factor in success of a sports in a particular country is definitely The Sports population. of cause to be World beaters u need a lot of other factors as well but the MAIN factor is definitely Sports Population...

North Korea actually has a big Sport population as N.korea government encourage sports. Their players might not have much international exposure but internally N.Korea has large pool of players.

As for Msia football, we do have Large Pool of Spectators not players. Lot of Msian like to watch football but how many play it regularly? Just count the numbers of Football field (inc Futsal) Vs Badminton Courts. I think for every regular social football player there is 10 regular social badminton players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.